“Best overall camp” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Governor's Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Governor's Camp
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   C14, Keekorok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
New York, NY
“Best overall camp”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were on our honeymoon and stayed at 5 different camps. This was not the most luxurious camp, but it was very nice and was our overall favorite. There are several reasons for this - the food is good with large variety. The rooms are nice and big, and our tent was on the river so we had nice views (saw a croc and a hippo from there). The camp is right next to prime safari areas, in fact we saw 4 of the big 5 (just missed the rhino) and also saw numerous other animals (like cheetah, zebra, wildebeast, wart hogs, too many to name). This was definitely our favorite safari, Duncan was our guide and he was really amazing. I would recommend this place to anyone, it had the perfect balance of coziness, friendly staff, and amazing safari. Oh, and the staff if helpful and there is a lot of guards around, so it was easy to get back and forth between rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

532 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We decided to stay at Governor's Camp for the second part of our safari honeymoon, and we were both blown away with our 3 days here - we already had high expectations but they were exceeded in every possible way. We had a wonderful welcome from James, Phillip and Katie were very attentive and engaging - superb first impressions.

We were lucky enough to be upgraded to the honeymoon suite - W.O.W. WIthout question the best place I have ever stayed in my life. I still cant get over the accommodation - it was just perfect. It was clean, spacious and we were looked after so well - coffee at 6am in the morning, rooms cleaned and hot water bottle ready following the evening game drive. Was 5* in every sense of the word

The food and service was EXCEPTIONAL. We were both highly impressed, and certainly didnt go hungry - huge credit to the chefs. We had lunch in the company of warthogs and mongoose, and dinner with hippos. Just incredible.

We are exceptionally lucky when it came to the safari itself - not only did we have a great group who became friends, but in Robert we had the perfect driver. He was friendly, joined in with all of our conversations and was unbelievably knowledgeable. There wasnt a tree bird or animal he didnt know and he made the safari for the 2 of us. He pandered to our every request, and really went that extra mile to try and get us all the sightings we wanted - and we saw EVERYTHING!! Leopards, Rhinos, Cheetahs..you name it - we got it. Robert also had great attention to detail and we spotted over 80 species of bird - its the little details that really made this for us.

We will 100% return, and have already recommended all our family visit Main Governors. We'd love to come back, and would beg for the honeymoon suite again and also Robert as our driver. It was a perfect 3 days - thank you

Special mention to David, the guard on the gate. I've never met a happier person and his salute every morning was a highlight for me, as was his welcome back into the camp.

Room Tip: 15a. It was amazing!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Governor's Camp was fabulous. This was my second stay at Governor's and it was even better than the first. The staff is wonderful. They were friendly and couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome. The tents are very nicely decorated and very clean. The food was great. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

All the Staff at Governors made us feel very special on our honeymoon. When we were sick for 1 day, the manager and camp doctor came to visit us every 3 hours to check upon us. Exceptional service from exceptional people.
Our guide was outstanding! When there is something to find out there, he'll find it! (be sure there is a lot to find in the Mara :))

A real recommendation!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Havertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Governor's Camp was spectacular. The drives and animals couldn't be beat anywhere. Our driver imparted so much knowledge and got us up close and personal with the animals. When we were back at camp, Phillip and Katie, the managers made a point to get to know us and really make us feel welcome. The wait staff was equally as impressive always making sure our needs were not only met, but exceeded. The food was delicious. Every meal was wonderful, even our picnic breakfast in the bush. The tents were spacious and hot water bottle at night and tea and biscuits in the morning made us feel like royalty. One of the best parts was hearing the sounds of the Mara River and seeing the animals wandering around camp. Don't worry though, personal escorts to and from your tent make you feel super relaxed. We can't wait to come back! Thank you for so many fabulous memories!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I visited Governors Camp for 3 days on 10th June 2013. Governors camp is out of this world!
I was with my ten year old daughter who adored the place. I have been on many safaris over the years but never have I had such a great experience as I did on this safari.
First of all, JT safaris, also known as Julius Safaris or Julius Tact (www.julius-safaris.com) organised the whole thing. (Be careful that you don't use the imposters who try to copy his name) I immediately felt in safe hands as he is very professional and there is no messing around. Together via internet and phone we came up with a suitable safari and price to suit me and when I arrived at my Villa in Diani he personally came to the villa to collect the deposit to save me a journey.
Flying straight from Diani air strip was wonderful and cut down on travel time and when you get to the landing strip in the Mara you are literally a few minutes away from Governors Camp. The first thing that I noticed was the watchman (askari) who manned the main gate to Governors Camp, he was the funniest cheeriest chap ever! He made my day every morning as we went off on a game drive. He would jump to attention and click his heels with the biggest smile Ive ever seen!
The camp is very reminiscent of the colonial era but with a modern twist, so if you want to feel a genuine 'at one with nature' type safari but with a luxurious twist this is the place to be as you will find animals (even elephants) wandering around camp, obviously watched for our safety by the watchmen (askaris).
I saw things on game drives that Ive never seen before ever! Oliver, our driver was incredible on our first day he found us two different leopards in trees (one with its kill) Ive never before seen a leopard despite my many safaris so this was high on my list. The next day we saw cheetah galore, one of them jumped on our car to use it as a look out post, it looked at us through the back window, I was actually in heaven! It was funny because later on another car from a different camp had two cheetahs on their car roof and they unfortunately decided to do their 'business' on the roof right next to the opening where people stand up! Luckily the people in the car saw the funny side of it which was just as well as we were all in stitches!
We obviously also saw all of the other types of animals too, elephants, Giraffes, zebra, baboons, hyenas, warthogs......just to name a few!
Then we saw the best thing ever, Oliver was an absolute star and patiently waited with us whilst a cheetah had his eye on a very far off gazelle, he asked us if we wanted to wait or go on to look for another animal, we decided to wait and maybe an hour later were rewarded finally by a cheetah hunt and catch and kill. It was incredible and completely made my safari. You simply do not see all these animals so easily and in such abundance in other camps as you do in Governors Camp because of where it is based in the Mara.
Food was lovely, option to have picnic breakfast whilst on early morning game drive is a must as you get to stay out longer. We had ours in the early morning sunlight on a rock, it was heaven.
Tents are luxurious and our room attendant did everything in his power to please. Hot water bottles, trust me you need them sometimes so bring lots of warm clothes for evenings and early mornings. A sweet gesture was that he left two little cute soapstone carvings on our pillows on the first night.
I know that I am raving about it but although we stayed in Diani for around 3 weeks previous to the safari Governors Camp blew the rest away. I will definitely be going back at some point. Then to top it all off Julius from JT safaris let us pay the balance when we returned satisfied from the safari he gave us two very nice and expensive wood carvings as a gift which I though was a lovely and sweet touch. He also helped us with lifts and shopping trips a few times for free! JT safaris is literally the best and most reasonably priced safari agent in Diani and completely trustworthy I would highly recommend him and Governors camp for the time of your lives!
Feel free to contact me for any more info.

Room Tip: We were in room 29, on the plains side. Close enough to the amenities but still private. We liked it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Governors Camp was the first stop of our honeymoon before heading to Zanzibar and it was amazing! This was our first safari experience, but it certainly won't be the last and we will definitely be returning this camp again. We loved the little touches like the wake up call with a coffee and biscuit and the hot water bottle at night. The tents are great and spacious. I thought we were going to be covered in mosquito bites but didn't get a single one. The camp is not enclosed and so animals can venture in at anytime, however we felt so safe with the staff always around and escorting you at night. Our driver was also very knowledgeable and made every effort to give us the best experience possible. The food was brilliant and we were very surprised to find a wifi tent which was great for connecting with home and keeping friends and family up to date. Thank yo t everyone at Governor's Camp and we will see you soon!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Governor's Camp? Share your experiences!