“Mind Blowing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Governor's Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Governor's Camp
You added Governor's Camp to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   C14, Keekorok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Mind Blowing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We decided to stay at Governor's Camp for the second part of our safari honeymoon, and we were both blown away with our 3 days here - we already had high expectations but they were exceeded in every possible way. We had a wonderful welcome from James, Phillip and Katie were very attentive and engaging - superb first impressions.

We were lucky enough to be upgraded to the honeymoon suite - W.O.W. WIthout question the best place I have ever stayed in my life. I still cant get over the accommodation - it was just perfect. It was clean, spacious and we were looked after so well - coffee at 6am in the morning, rooms cleaned and hot water bottle ready following the evening game drive. Was 5* in every sense of the word

The food and service was EXCEPTIONAL. We were both highly impressed, and certainly didnt go hungry - huge credit to the chefs. We had lunch in the company of warthogs and mongoose, and dinner with hippos. Just incredible.

We are exceptionally lucky when it came to the safari itself - not only did we have a great group who became friends, but in Robert we had the perfect driver. He was friendly, joined in with all of our conversations and was unbelievably knowledgeable. There wasnt a tree bird or animal he didnt know and he made the safari for the 2 of us. He pandered to our every request, and really went that extra mile to try and get us all the sightings we wanted - and we saw EVERYTHING!! Leopards, Rhinos, Cheetahs..you name it - we got it. Robert also had great attention to detail and we spotted over 80 species of bird - its the little details that really made this for us.

We will 100% return, and have already recommended all our family visit Main Governors. We'd love to come back, and would beg for the honeymoon suite again and also Robert as our driver. It was a perfect 3 days - thank you

Special mention to David, the guard on the gate. I've never met a happier person and his salute every morning was a highlight for me, as was his welcome back into the camp.

Room Tip: 15a. It was amazing!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Governor's Camp was fabulous. This was my second stay at Governor's and it was even better than the first. The staff is wonderful. They were friendly and couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome. The tents are very nicely decorated and very clean. The food was great. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

All the Staff at Governors made us feel very special on our honeymoon. When we were sick for 1 day, the manager and camp doctor came to visit us every 3 hours to check upon us. Exceptional service from exceptional people.
Our guide was outstanding! When there is something to find out there, he'll find it! (be sure there is a lot to find in the Mara :))

A real recommendation!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Havertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Governor's Camp was spectacular. The drives and animals couldn't be beat anywhere. Our driver imparted so much knowledge and got us up close and personal with the animals. When we were back at camp, Phillip and Katie, the managers made a point to get to know us and really make us feel welcome. The wait staff was equally as impressive always making sure our needs were not only met, but exceeded. The food was delicious. Every meal was wonderful, even our picnic breakfast in the bush. The tents were spacious and hot water bottle at night and tea and biscuits in the morning made us feel like royalty. One of the best parts was hearing the sounds of the Mara River and seeing the animals wandering around camp. Don't worry though, personal escorts to and from your tent make you feel super relaxed. We can't wait to come back! Thank you for so many fabulous memories!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I visited Governors Camp for 3 days on 10th June 2013. Governors camp is out of this world!
I was with my ten year old daughter who adored the place. I have been on many safaris over the years but never have I had such a great experience as I did on this safari.
First of all, JT safaris, also known as Julius Safaris or Julius Tact (www.julius-safaris.com) organised the whole thing. (Be careful that you don't use the imposters who try to copy his name) I immediately felt in safe hands as he is very professional and there is no messing around. Together via internet and phone we came up with a suitable safari and price to suit me and when I arrived at my Villa in Diani he personally came to the villa to collect the deposit to save me a journey.
Flying straight from Diani air strip was wonderful and cut down on travel time and when you get to the landing strip in the Mara you are literally a few minutes away from Governors Camp. The first thing that I noticed was the watchman (askari) who manned the main gate to Governors Camp, he was the funniest cheeriest chap ever! He made my day every morning as we went off on a game drive. He would jump to attention and click his heels with the biggest smile Ive ever seen!
The camp is very reminiscent of the colonial era but with a modern twist, so if you want to feel a genuine 'at one with nature' type safari but with a luxurious twist this is the place to be as you will find animals (even elephants) wandering around camp, obviously watched for our safety by the watchmen (askaris).
I saw things on game drives that Ive never seen before ever! Oliver, our driver was incredible on our first day he found us two different leopards in trees (one with its kill) Ive never before seen a leopard despite my many safaris so this was high on my list. The next day we saw cheetah galore, one of them jumped on our car to use it as a look out post, it looked at us through the back window, I was actually in heaven! It was funny because later on another car from a different camp had two cheetahs on their car roof and they unfortunately decided to do their 'business' on the roof right next to the opening where people stand up! Luckily the people in the car saw the funny side of it which was just as well as we were all in stitches!
We obviously also saw all of the other types of animals too, elephants, Giraffes, zebra, baboons, hyenas, warthogs......just to name a few!
Then we saw the best thing ever, Oliver was an absolute star and patiently waited with us whilst a cheetah had his eye on a very far off gazelle, he asked us if we wanted to wait or go on to look for another animal, we decided to wait and maybe an hour later were rewarded finally by a cheetah hunt and catch and kill. It was incredible and completely made my safari. You simply do not see all these animals so easily and in such abundance in other camps as you do in Governors Camp because of where it is based in the Mara.
Food was lovely, option to have picnic breakfast whilst on early morning game drive is a must as you get to stay out longer. We had ours in the early morning sunlight on a rock, it was heaven.
Tents are luxurious and our room attendant did everything in his power to please. Hot water bottles, trust me you need them sometimes so bring lots of warm clothes for evenings and early mornings. A sweet gesture was that he left two little cute soapstone carvings on our pillows on the first night.
I know that I am raving about it but although we stayed in Diani for around 3 weeks previous to the safari Governors Camp blew the rest away. I will definitely be going back at some point. Then to top it all off Julius from JT safaris let us pay the balance when we returned satisfied from the safari he gave us two very nice and expensive wood carvings as a gift which I though was a lovely and sweet touch. He also helped us with lifts and shopping trips a few times for free! JT safaris is literally the best and most reasonably priced safari agent in Diani and completely trustworthy I would highly recommend him and Governors camp for the time of your lives!
Feel free to contact me for any more info.

Room Tip: We were in room 29, on the plains side. Close enough to the amenities but still private. We liked it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Governors Camp was the first stop of our honeymoon before heading to Zanzibar and it was amazing! This was our first safari experience, but it certainly won't be the last and we will definitely be returning this camp again. We loved the little touches like the wake up call with a coffee and biscuit and the hot water bottle at night. The tents are great and spacious. I thought we were going to be covered in mosquito bites but didn't get a single one. The camp is not enclosed and so animals can venture in at anytime, however we felt so safe with the staff always around and escorting you at night. Our driver was also very knowledgeable and made every effort to give us the best experience possible. The food was brilliant and we were very surprised to find a wifi tent which was great for connecting with home and keeping friends and family up to date. Thank yo t everyone at Governor's Camp and we will see you soon!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I don't have any single bad comment to make regarding the Governor's Camp and the all Safari experience that this place offers to its guests.
I wanted to do a safari for quite a while but honestly could not afford to do it as I was dreaming to and postponed it for quite a few years as i didn't want to compromise.
Finally my boyfriend convince me to make the the decision and commit to it without thinking about the money as he said it will be the experience of a life time.
I have to say he was absolutely right. Still now, after having done other amazing holiday i.e Maldives, Caribbean and so on, the Masai Mara safari and the Governor's Camp stands as the best holiday of my life so far.
The Governor's Camp is beautifully located near the river and offer and amazing view to some wild life as you walk in like hippos and crocodiles, snakes and different types of birds.
It is a relatively speaking small camp but offer an amazing range of comforts and nice things.
The tend ( was it even a tend....it looks to me like the best suite I have ever stayed) was beautifully decorated in style with the surrounding, with very comfortable bed al made in timber, coffee table and amazing bathroom with open air shower. It was very big with a lovely am-aka and patio with chairs where to chill out during the chilling time in between one safari sessions and the other.
The camp offers a beautiful outdoor dining experience as much as an indoor one, a studio room with books to borrow and where to have your tea, a lovely reception and a small nice shop where to buy souvenirs.
The staff was very nice and attentive, the all camp is protected by guards day and night. The waiters were nice and attentive and even cook for us a typical Kenyan dinner that was not in the menu as we wanted to try the typical dishes.
The safaris are beau fully organized. Most of the time we had our personal jeep and personal ranger, only one day we shared it with another couple.
Normally you starts early in the morning at 5.30/6.00 in the morning with lovely breakfast brought at your tend as a wake up call. The first safari tour starts early as it is one of the best time to see the animals. You would spend out a few hours looking for wild life. Than there is a break until afternoon as animals do not hunt or move during the hottest hour and finally a late evening/ night one as animals hunts mainly when dawn.
We went to the Masai Mara in July, it is a great time to go for many reasons.
First of all, it is warm but not too hot ( average temperature are around 25/27 degrees Celsius), secondly and most important reason is that July is migration period. The amount of animals the you can see is unbelievable, intact we saw all the big five ( lions, elephant, giraffe, rhinos and leopard) and an amazing amount of zebras, wilde beasts, hippos and crocodiles.
Our guide was so competent and nice, full of information and stories about the animals and the area. He even managed to show us a killing of a zebra by a lioness which was amazing.
The camp also organized other type of activities, like the air balloon safari, visit to the local Masai mara village, pic nic in the wild and walking safari.
We did the air balloon one and we went to see the Masai Mara village. Both were nice but not amazing. If I will ever go back I will definitely do the walking safari.
This trip does not come cheap but I assure you it is wort every penny if not more. You will come back home with lots of unforgettable memories and a deep love for Africa.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Musiara, Manager at Governor's Camp, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for choosing Governors for your safari and for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the safari so much and thank you for recommending us.

Been to Governor's Camp? Share your experiences!