“The Governors Camp helped make the Leadership for Conservation AGM a great success .” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Governor's Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Governor's Camp
Save Saved
You added Governor's Camp to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   C14, Keekorok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Having been to another camp in the Masai Mara and not enjoyed it I was a bit wary about the meeting being held here . From the minute we arrived to the minute we left we were welcomed and looked after like royalty- which is not easy when you have about 50 people from all over the world coming in for a weekend.We spotted fantastic wildlife. I have lived in Africa for most of my life and for the first time ever saw two Leopards, one Cheetah , 3 tree very large male Lions and a female Lioness with some beautiful cubs - ALL IN ONE DAY ! Those are just a few of the many animals and birds we spotted over the weekend. The food is always fresh , imaginative and plentiful without leaving you overfull and uncomfortable. Some people found the limited internet connectivity a bit difficult but I didn't miss it ! An added touch was a lovely hot water bottle in the bed every night! Tents like these are not very difficult to stay in.To the staff from the manager to the drivers to the guards who walked us to our rooms at night - Asante sana for a wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: We were given "the Justus Suite " which apparently is a honeymoon suite an thus had a bot...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I'm the type of person who is happiest when doing my own kind of safari. I like to drive myself, cook for myself and make camp where and when I want. I was persuaded to go to Governor's camp because my friend's sister was heavily pregnant and didn't fancy 'roughing it'.

I was impressed from the moment we arrived. Governor's has 3 camps I think, we stayed at the main one and it was wonderful. The staff we professional and friendly and always happy to help. The drivers all worked together but if you asked for your own space to look for your own game they are happy to oblige.

The food was varied and delicious and I would recommend taking your breakfast on safari every single morning. It really increases your chances of seeing much more game.

The whole camp is open but feels very secure. The tents themselves are luxurious and all have lovely views and great big beds.

I will be back ...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Having just returned from Governors Camp 2 weeks ago, after my 10th visit. I find it impossible to have one negative thought about this wonderful camp. All the "Mod Cons" luxury etc but still Rustic and nothing to spoil the magic of the animals.... even visiting at meal times.... when the staff and guests have to take cover and allow Elephants etc to trundle through!!!. The staff on arrival, from the minute you step from the plane are there to make your stay a wonderful experience.
When I return I am welcomed with "Welcome Home" this year I had the company of some friends who had not been to Kenya before, they were Blown Away by what they saw even on the first Game Drive. Three drives a day and each drive you think you will not beat your previous drive. The Driver/Guild too knows exactly how to help you with a good shot for your photos. You will never be disappointed with Governors Camp.
The tents are secure and have a wonderful quiet and relaxing ambiance. In the night everything comes out to play!!!.... and you can hear animals foraging for food etc just outside your tent.
The food and service is excellent and the Picnic Breakfast is a must for at least one morning. Breakfast by the River over at Pump House with the entertaining HIPPO'S I just can't explain in words .... "the magic of this place"
I thank Kate and Phillip for all their hard work in making my stay each time a memorable one. The camp is like one big happy family. Thanks to Mandila for his excellent GAME DRIVES.
I will continue to visit Main Governors Camp for as long as I can, also bring my friends... as I say now "It gets under yr skin" I will be back.
Regards Bernadette Simpson

Room Tip: Plains Tents overlook The Savannah if you don't want to take a nap at lunch time just sitting wa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had a 3 night 4 day stay at Governors Camp, what an amazing place. 3 game drives a day in open backed vehicles was a great way to experience the Masai Mara, out early morning and back for breakfast around 9.00, mid morning until lunchtime, out again at 3.30 pm until dusk then back for the evening meal at 8.00pm served to your table. All the meals were very good and all served outside next to the Mara river and views across the plains and there were animals everywere.
The camp staff were all excellent and our driver Isaac was very good and very knowlegeable with all aspects of the animals we saw. We coudn't believe how close we got to the animals who all just seemed to totally ignore the vehicles and we saw lots, elephant, hippo, crocs, lions, cheetah, leopard, hyena, giraffe, buffalo, zebra etc etc. only one of the 'big 5' we didn't get a sighting of was a rhino, but suppose you cant have everything at once.
The tents are spacious and comfortable with an en suite shower, toilet and wash basin all have electric lights and power point and our attendant James arrived every night with hot water bottles ( apparently its quite cold on a night at 14 degs C ) closed all the mesh window covers and sprayed the tent to get rid of any mosquitos ( never saw any all time we were there)
Our tent was on the river banks and the noises on a night are an experience in themselves with hippo's grunting and splashing in the river through the night, listening to lions and hyena's out on the plains and elephants and other animals moving around, with an elephant being very close to our tent one night tearing branches and vegetation up to eat to the point that we could hear it breathing and eating, but will say at this point the guards in the camp were very good and ensured the safety of the guests staying there at all times.
This was the first time we had been on a safari holiday and it exceded by far all we expected of it, Thanks to all at the camp and if you are thinking of going there you won't regret it

Room Tip: rooms up to 29 are on the river banks, tents in the 30's have views across the plains.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a fantastic 2night/3 day safari (booked through JT safari). The acommadation/food/staff/location was excellent - first class. Our guide, Ntuela was hugely informative about the wildlife and we enjoyed six fascinating game drives. I highly recommend this camp and our guide.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Somerset, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Wow ! What a way to spend my 50th birthday! My dream was to go to Masai Mara and this was everything I could have hoped for and more. Our guide Robert was superb and so informative about the animals and their locations a real pleasure. The birthday was topped off by Kate the manager organising a birthday cake delivers by 7 Masai warriors...unforgettable!! I would recommend this resort to anyone - tea and coffee before your morning safari, hot water bottle in your bed, first class food and staff incredible...GO THERE !!!!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had a group of 9 people and spent 3 days at Governor's camp. We had a terrific experience from the wonderful staff, good food, accommodations that were awesome. It was a great experience. We arrived via plane, checked in and went on our first safari. Our guides were terrific and were very familiar with the Masai Mara. They showed us all of the animals and had great insights into them and the habitat of the animals on the Mara. We stayed for 3 days and went on 5 different safaris, I think for me, that was about the upper limit. Unless you were a professional photographer looking for shots that were hard to find I think after three days you get a little numb to all of the animals you see. The food at the Governor's camp was excellent and well timed because our group was always hungry when we arrived from safari and looking for our meal. There also was a group of elephants in camp one night and that was so cool to hear them so close to the tents, literally feet away from us, but perfectly safe. The tents are very luxurious and don't feel like tents at all. They are carpeted in the bedroom and tiled in the full bathroom. There are guides in the evening that take you around camp being careful to keep you out of the way of the elephants and hippos. Again very safe but very very cool. Absolutely would stay here again!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are wonderful but try and get one along the river. Great views for a little bit of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Governor's Camp? Share your experiences!