“Wild animals and wonderful food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Governor's Camp

You added Governor's Camp to your Saves list
Governor's Camp
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   C14, Keekorok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Wild animals and wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I visited Governors' Camp in September nearly 20 years after my first visit - I won't leave it so long before I visit again. The breathtaking landscape alone is worth the trip but that's just the backdrop to an extraordinary parade of wildlife. The highlight of the game drives had to be three sets of lion cubs. The Camp itself is beautifully laid out by a river with very comfortable tents and nice touches like a hot water bottle in the evening. The food was delicious - light and beautifully prepared dinners and lavish breakfasts - and the staff were friendly and efficient. I look forward to my return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Musiara, Manager at Governor's Camp, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for posting your review of your safari at Governors Camp. We are delighted that you choose to return on safari with us and we are very happy that you enjoyed the setting, the wildlife viewing, the camp and the food. We look forward to welcoming you back again sometime soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
UAE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I just returned last night from our amazing adventure on the Masai Mara, Governor's Camp. It was everything I had hoped for - and more. Our driver was waiting for us when we landed at the local airfield and even before we arrived at the camp, we had spotted a lovely lioness and her babies lounging by the side of the road as if to greet us and welcome us to their home. We were saluted into camp by a delightful guard with a magic smile and "Jambo"! The staff met our Land Rover with greetings, cool face clothes and drinks to refresh us. We found all members of the staff to be helpful, friendly and anxious to make sure you are having a good time and comfortable.
Our tent (#8) was on the Masa River where you could hear the snorts and puffs of the hippos down below... as well as their munching on the grass outside of our tent in the early morning hours! There are no fences or wires restricting the animals which meant they are free to roam inside the camp area - which some did nightly! Not to worry, there was plenty of security. Our tent was luxurious and spacious with a separate bath area, hot water and electricity through the night. It was very well kept, clean and the hot water bottles placed in our beds at turn down service were a nice touch as it was much more chilly there than I expected!
The food was delicious and service top notch. Breakfast and lunch are taken under the shade of the trees by the river and dinner was in a large open walled tent. There is also a bar area with a viewing deck overlooking the river.
And of course, the best part were the 3 times/day game drives. One departed at 6:30AM, the next around 10:30 AM and then again at 3:30PM. There is also a long morning drive you can do that combines the two morning excursions and you take a picnic for breakfast in the bush. Wow, was that amazing! We sat under a lone tree on top of a hill with the vast grassland spread below us covered with wildebeast, buffalo, zebra, etc. You can also visit a Masai village and learn first hand about their culture and way of life. We saw everything we wanted except for the leopard and rhino. But I understand they are few in number and elusive. No matter, the rest of the experience more than made up for it. There were plenty of lions, elephants, zebra, cheetahs, wildebeast, cape buffalo, baboons, gazelles, impala, warthogs, giraffe, loads of birds etc, etc to keep you looking every which way. The safari vehicles are easy to see out of, clean and comfortable. The guides all seem to be very competent and ours answered every question we had as well as offered information as we drove.
I am pleased to recommend this camp to anyone - and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I think they are all good. Some are on the river, some overlook the grassland. I think if you have...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Musiara, Manager at Governor's Camp, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for posting you review of your safari at Governors Camp. We are delighted that you had an amazing adventure and thank you for recommending us. We look forward to welcoming you back on safari with us again soon.
Hereford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have wanted to go on safari for as long as I can remember - and am so glad that we chose Governors' Camp in the Masai Mara to fulfill my dream!

The location of the camp, next to the river in the middle of the reserve, means that not only do you see lions, cheetahs, wildebeest, zebra and elephants (to name but a few!) as soon as you head out on each game drive, but also elephants, buffalo and hippos wander into the camp if they feel like it! The whole time we were there, I felt like I was living in the animals' environment, rather than them having had to adapt to our environment - which was exactly what I wanted.

Samuel, our driver, contributed so much to our enjoyment - as he managed to find all the Big 5, and much more besides. Seeing lionesses calling their cubs out of a hiding place underground and greeting them at sunrise is an experience I will remember forever.

When I was booking my safari, I looked at other camps that had infinity pools, saunas and other 'luxuries' - but I'm glad I didn't waste my money on these, as Governors' ensure your time is wonderfully filled with 3 game drives a day; and I wouldn't have wanted to give any of this game drive time up to lie by the pool!

Our tent was very comfortable - the bed was so big we could hardly see each other! The hot water bottle the staff put in while you're having dinner is a nice touch, and the en-suite facilities were excellent.

I would recommend Governors' Camp to anyone.

Room Tip: Our room, overlooking the river, was peaceful and private.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Musiara, Manager at Governor's Camp, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for posting your review of Governors Camp and for choosing Governors for your dream safari. We are delighted that you enjoyed the location of the camp and the fact that in the Mara, we live in their environment, not the other way round, very much an ethos of Governors.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your game drives with Samuel an that you had such a memorable encounter with a lioness.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the tent and facilities and thank you for your recommendation.
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We (my wife and I plus my sons who are 9 and 13) recently returned from a seven week trip to Kenya, Tanzania, and Madagascar. We spent many days on safari, the highlight of which was our five day stay at Governors. The staff were wonderful and we have been exchanging emails since our return. Samuel our driver / guide had my 9 year old, whom he called little simba, walking hand in hand with him by the second day! The tents are very luxurious. Nirinka would turn down our beds and left small stone hippos for the boys. He put hot water bottles in our beds and woke us with coffee and hot chocolate.
Governors has many advantages over other camps. It's in the Mera, no commute. It runs it's own fabulous balloon safaris. The vehicles are OPEN!!! only roll bars between you and the Mera. It's wonderful to stand in the truck leaning on the roll bars with an absolutely unobstructed view of the world. Great picnics, or eat by the river. Animals in the camp. The drivers will get you CLOSE!!! We sat feet away from nursing hyena, saw a kill, saw so much. Thanks to everyone at Governors.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Musiara, Manager at Governor's Camp, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Governors Camp. We are delighted to hear that your stay at Governors was the highlight of your trip and that you found the staff to be wonderful, the tents luxurious and that you enjoyed your time with Samuel and Nirinka. Your comments have been sent to camp and everyone will be delighted to read them.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

On my 14 day trip, I stayed at a camp with 3 people total and with about 150 total as I would estimate here. The pluses are that their vehicles are by far, far superior to any other camp which makes your drive great. The down side is that there is more noise and more non-africans than I preferred and it did have a semi-uncomfortable feeling of imperialism that I'd not fully realized its name implied. That said, the staff was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, educated and attention to guests very high. I also was a little less than thrilled with the full vehicles each day and rotating guests so that we had to rehear the guide's pitch on the park each time a new person joined the group. However, this was the result of big camp vs. small. However, the staff at this camp were far more concerned about me and my travel than my really bad travel agents at Bush and Beyond and Eyes on Africa were so I appreciated that.

Room Tip: Try to get a tent on the end of the trail. Otherwise, you'll get my experience in 26 of having...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Musiara, Manager at Governor's Camp, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for posting you comments on your safari. The camp has 37 tents and can accommodate total of 74 guests. We are happy to hear you found the vehicles to be far superior to any other camp you have experienced, your comments on the atmosphere of the camp are surprising to us as the vast majority of our clients enjoy the atmosphere in camp and find it to be a very inclusive welcoming, friendly camp. We are happy to hear you found the staff to be extremely helpful, knowledgeable, educated with a high attention to guests. We are happy to hear that you found our camp staff helpful in helping you to resolve your travel issues.
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We visited Governors camp first week of Oct 2012, to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday on a safari. Governor's camp left me feeling awestruck. Their service level is of a very high standard with attention to detail. They assigned us a personal food waiter, drinks waiter and a driver who would serve us through out our stay. To say the least all three of them viz Richard, Harrison (Nampaso) and Dominic our driver were amazing.
These guys organized a surprise birthday cake and brought a band to sing Happy Birthday to celebrate my husband's birthday.
Their location is lush and the wild life is concentrated. We saw the big five in about three days of our stay and many more animals. Their system for game drives are amazing, the drivers network and keep themselves updated so that everyone gets to see the best.
The tents are clean and luxurious with all the amenities. They have wifi access in the communication center and they also have a set up to download and upload pictures if you like. They are fully equipped in the wild!
We had an amazing experience in the balloon ride, saw a beautiful sunrise from the air and many many animals, especially a rare white Rhino with its baby running through the jungle. After we landed we were served an amazing Champagne bush breakfast in the wild.
The food was of very good quality, three course meals, lovely desserts. I felt like I was eating in an gourmet restaurant in New York.
We will definitely return to Governor's Camp, we had an awesome time and we are so happy we chose Governor's Camp.

Room Tip: If you are bold enough then request for a room where elephants pass by at night. It's an experie...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Musiara, Manager at Governor's Camp, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for posting your review of Governors Camp and for choosing Governors for your 40th birthday celebration safari. We are thrilled that the camp left you feeling awestruck, that you found the service to be of a very high standard and that you found the staff amazing. We are delighted that you enjoyed the game drives, that you liked the tents, that you had an amazing experience on the balloon and that you found the food to be of a very good quality. We hope to welcome you back on safari with us sometime soon.
The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Going to the Maasai Mara it is very important which camp you pick. There are a lot of camps in this area and not all of them have a good location. A lot of camps are outside the gate. Of course you will see a lot of animals in these areas but the best changes of seeing the big cats and the wildebeest migration is inside the park. If you’re out of the park it can take you a long time to get to the river to see the migration which means that you have to leave early in the afternoon again to be on time at the gate. The gates opens and closes at 6:30. We stayed in several camps in de Mara and all were inside the gates which will give you the best changes of seeing what you wanted to.

Governors camp is inside the park near the Musiara Gate in the Narok County Counsil. It is a wonderful site of the park and you have a good chance of seeing lions daily. The Marsh pride (from big cat) is in this part too. Although lions travel they stick to their territory. Also cheetah are resident here so you will have a good change of cheetah too. Near the camp there are also lots of elephants and buffalos. It will take a while to drive to the river to see the migration at the main crossing points. (45 minutes) but along the way there is a lot to see since this is inside the park.
The camp itself isn’t fenced (most camps aren’t). The restaurant gives a beautiful view over the savannah and the tents can have river or savannah view, some have bush view. The tents are spacious and have nice beds. The bathroom is quite big with a good shower, toilet and sink. The power and the light works 24/7. You have one socket to charge your camera batteries. The breakfast is in the open which gives a nice detail. Birds are around the camp and in the river there are lots of hippos who will laugh at you during nighttime. They put a little card with a hippo on your pillow when you go to sleep which is a very nice detail, it gives you a smile when you go to bed.

If you want they will wake you up with tea, coffee or hot chocolate milk and cookies. It is a nice start of the day since you mostly go out first and come back for breakfast. The dinner is in a tent which is open on one side. The food is good and the people are friendly. They always have two choices for every course so there‘s always something that you will like. Water is included, you only pay extra for sodas or alcoholic drinks.

The only comment about the camp is that they start the engine of the cars that go on balloon safari very early and leave them running about ¾ of an hour. If your tent is situated next to the parking area you will be woken at around 5 o clock, while you will go up at around 6 for game drive. We mentioned this to the manager and they did give us another room that was far from the parking lot, but that doesn’t take away the problem for other guest. I do not understand why they need the engines to run for such a long time. This is the only camp we have stayed in that does this. My suggestion would be to just start the cars when you leave and no one will have a problem plus it is a lot better for the environment too.

We do recommend this camp and we would like to go back in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room a bit farther from the parking area since they start the engines of the car early bec...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Musiara, Manager at Governor's Camp, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for choosing Governors Camp for your safari and for posting your review of the camp. We are delighted that you liked the camps prime location for wildlife viewing.

We are also delighted that you enjoyed the views from the dinning tent and guest tents and that you liked the tents and the food and service. Your comments about the cars have been sent to the management for review.

Thank you for recommending the camp and we hope to welcome you back on safari with us again.

Been to Governor's Camp? Share your experiences!