“Incredible sights, fabulous staff- amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rekero Camp, Asilia Africa

You added Rekero Camp, Asilia Africa to your Saves list
Rekero Camp, Asilia Africa
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   C14, Keekorok (Talek River) | Maasai Mara National Reserve, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Dallas, Texas
“Incredible sights, fabulous staff- amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

The animals were abundant. The scenery amazing. We loved the tents. Bucket showers were super. Escorts with spears at night was great! Elegant tent camping! Tent was very well made- felt Secure, private and netting on windows kept all bugs out. Elephants and baboons munching around your tent night and day! Guides were fabulous. We requested guide to take us to a Masai village- highly recommend to learn about their culture. Lovely setting in the bush on an active river. We spent three nights- I would have loved to stay longer, but no time. Staff were very kind. We hope to go back.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights. Conway and Clea and the staff of mostly Masai people are outstanding. Our guide Martin was exceptional, not only in finding and identifying all kinds of fauna, but in his interest in African history. The Masai Mara area has an extraordinary number and variety of animals, and it is very beautiful, especially along the Mara River. The visit to a Masai village was fascinating and we strongly recommend it. The setting of our tent #5 was stunning, overlooking the Telek River where we saw elephants, crocs, hippos and various antelope right from our front door. Even crocs killing & eating a baby hippo. The camp food is terrific, with a fine selection of wines. Of the 8 camps we have stayed in, this is one of the best.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I've been with my wife for two nights in Rekero Camp I can say it was a great experience in my life. The location is the high point of this camp, beautiful view with highly trained staff. Con, Clea and Mariana were people who gave us full support and greeted us with utmost attention. Worked to be all right and it was a wonder the service from the meals, the operation of the Safari, the games with our guide that Moses was a great because we were fortunate to see many animals on our first day of safari, ie only we have to thank and show everyone that beautiful camp where would one day return. See the photos that speaks for themselves about the environment, the luxury of the camp, activities and animals that you can find easily.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

One of the best places I have stayed on many different levels. Service faultless from management down (and I am pretty critical in this area). Furthermore, everyone is a character - the askaris are great fun, the guide (ours was Daniel) was the best I have come across out of the three safaris I have been on. We were the first to the game most times.

Food fantastic - tasty and delicious. I think all the food was based on local specialities or derivatives thereof.

Tents extremely comfortable and you have everything you want. Don't close the canvas at night - i.e. just mosquito nets between your bed and outside. It is a great experience - you are almost certainly going to eye ball a hippo or elephant from a few paces if you do. Nothing to be afraid of as long as you don't do something silly like shine a torch in the animals faces.

Game drives spot on - we saw everything, breakfasts in the bush every day, sundowners in secluded spots and a guide who truly knows every animal, bird and sound however far away.

Finally Location - I can't see how you are going to find better in the Mara. Next to a river, secluded but with game all around you - just perfect.

To sum up, if you want a true safari experience where you are in the thick of the action during the day and the night and you value exceptional service, great food and wine, then look no further.

Room Tip: Personally I would go 7,8 or 9 - furthest from the camp, but if you are faint hearted then 1,2,3 or...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

This is one of my favorite camps in the Mara. We visit some place in Africa every year and this is one of my favorite camps. It gives you the full experience of living in wild with also feeling 100% safe. The tents are spread apart so that you feel that you are alone but there is always scaries near by making sure that the curious elephants dont come too close to your tents. The tents are facing the river where you have a beautiful view of anything coming down to drink. They have built a lounge area with a deck right off the river that is fabulous and a wonderful place to relax at night. The food is wonderful and the staff so attentive and friendly. There is nothing like being in a beautiful tent and hearing the roar of a lion miles away to put you to sleep.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was my second time at Rekero camp and it was just as amazing if not even better. Since my last visit all tents have been renewed and are more spacious and luxurious and very comfortable. There is also an additional lounge area with a deck right by the river which is really nice. Rekero Camp is the home away from home. The managers and other staff are truly amazing in making your stay very special. The food was excellent and the game drives with my guide Sammy very special. His knowledge is great and he told me a lot about his culture which is very interesting. This time I combined Rekero Camp with Naboisho Camp in the Naboisho Conservancy which was the perfect combination! I would always come back to this special place right at the Talek river.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 8 which is a bit further away from the main area and comes with the sounds of hippo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I cannot fault Rekero camp, site, accommodation, nor the staff & guide. All were fantastic! The tent was a dream, the food heavenly & plentiful, our Maasai guide, Martin, was so knowledgeable, his English so good & his manner so polite. He knew about everything, plants, birds, animals, habitat, & more, I learned SO MUCH! We even discussed philosophy... hmmmm. I saw all the Big 5 + much much more. I have incredible memories & astounding photos! I loved every minute of my 4 days there & would LOVE to go back ...

Room Tip: Every tent was totally wonderful! Lounge rooms had sofas & books, lunch was outside, dinner insi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Rekero Camp, Asilia Africa? Share your experiences!