The Sarova Mara is my favorite hotel of all time. We spent 10 days in Kenya on a mission trip with friends and finished our stay at the Mara. I came in not expecting to love the safari experience, but I was completely blown away! We were met at the landing strip with fresh juices, cool towels, and Tony our driver. He also was our safari guide for the weekend, and he was the best. We immediately went on a game drive, and the landscape was breathtaking!
The hotel is absolutely magnificent. You enter through a long covered bridge to an outdoor lobby made of beautiful dark woods. The lodge encompasses beautiful hardwoods and natural stone. Massai warriors give a show in the lobby for guests with traditional dancing. The restaurant is also beautiful with a gourmet buffet of items from around the world. The lobby bar had live guitar and a fire in the fireplace. We spent our nights on the patio with a chimenea and a glass of red wine.
The tent rooms were just beautiful, cozy, and luxurious. They all had hard-wood floors and designer touches. We actually had a regular King room with zip-up door, and the door was no problem at all. The windows zip up at night for privacy. The bed was heavenly with high quality linens, down, and pillow-top. We had a mosquito net but didn't have a problem with mosquitos in the room. Great size dressing area and bathroom with walk-in shower. There is no heat or air in the rooms. But they bring hot water bottles for your bed at turndown to keep your bed warm through the night. My favorite part was the sound of the rolling stream and birds in the background. The tents are below a beautiful canopy of trees, and the sounds are simply enchanting.
The property is spiraling with stone sidewalks and covered bridges over the river. My husband spent the afternoon fishing and had a ball catching loads of fish - all catch and release! The pool was beautiful and a great place to catch some sun. There were lots of outdoor games to play if you're into that. I had a great massage, and it was only like $40.
The Safari is breathtaking. I'm not a morning person by any means, so getting up in the dark to go on Safari was not my heart's desire to begin with. But it was so worth it. Watching the sunrise over the Mara was one of the most magnificent images I've ever seen. We had the Bush Breakfast with giraffes in the middle of the Mara with no other human in sight. Champagne with gold flakes, Mimosa's, hot breakfast, fresh juices. We loved having Tony and Sarova as our safari guide each day. The Sarova land cruisers were so much more luxurious than the other safari vans that people had. Tony made sure we saw absolutely everything and was so kind and knowledgable. We learned so much from his stories about the Mara and Massai life. I can't say enough good things about Tony!
Sarova Mara is nothing less than perfection. We've traveled all over the world and stayed at the most luxurious and the most simple hotels. Sarova is quintessential Kenya. We will be back and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else in the Mara. Of all the hotels I've stayed at in the world, this experience takes the prize. My advice - stay longer than a weekend! You won't regret it. Can't wait to return with the family next time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sarova Mara Game Camp is located in the heart of the Maasai Mara Game Reserve in South West Kenya. It is 260 km from Nairobi, a 1-hour flight from Nairobi, 20-minute drive from the airstrip and a 5 1/2-hours drive from Nairobi on the new tarmac road. It is set on an elevation surrounded by two streams. The Camp is uniquely laid out over the sprawling grounds that include rolling manicured greens, a virtual mini forest of indigenous shrubs and exotic trees, a large pond stocked with fish, mini bird sanctuary and an authentic Maasai village adjoining the Camp. The Camp includes 20 club tents, 51 standard tents, 2 family tents, a main restaurant, bar and many bush dining options. The free form swimming pool has its own pool bar. In addition, it has its own fleet of well equipped safari vehicles with excellent guides. There are meeting rooms and numerous outdoor venues for dining and leisure. The entire Camp is surrounded by a 24 hour electric fence. The climate is very pleasant with clear warm days and cool nights Temperatures average from 26ْ C during the day to 12ْ C at night. There are sporadic rains in March, April, November & December. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your Sarova Mara Game Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sarova Mara Game Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Sarova Mara Game Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve