“Nit great” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mara Sopa Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Prices are for rooms, adults
Mara Sopa Lodge
Save Saved
You added Mara Sopa Lodge to your Saves list
C14, Keekorok, Oloolaimutia valley (Masai Mara Reserve) | Oloolaimutia Gate, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Nit great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Sorry to say, I hated this place and so did my two friends. We were three females and we were placed in the two rooms furthest from the main area. The area was creepy and the guards tended to sit far away: we felt scared and quite freaked out! The views are nice but it is a push to say you are inside the Mara - you have to drive for 15/20 minutes to get to the gate. The pool area was nice and we enjoyed the feeding of the bush baby and the animals at 10pm. That said, whether a hotel should throw out meat to encourage hyenas is another matter. My room was big but a bit grim - the bathroom was from the 60s and I couldn't even get the door to shut, luckily it was just me! There wasn't enough water for a hot shower. The food wasn't great and on my second night I couldn't find anything I wanted to eat. When we arrived they said there was tea and coffee free all day, but it was actually only during meal times. I ordered a pot of tea at 6.30pm and they refused to do it for free even though they put free tea out at 7pm when dinner starts. Not a huge deal I know, but I had just got back from an all day game drive so it just would have been nice! I wouldn't recommend this place, and certainly not for the prices they charge non-residents!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Polish first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I honestly expected a little better out of a lodge at the Masai Mara. I stayed here as part of a 5 day safari organized by Silverbird Travel. I found the bed hard, and was kept awake by a dripping sound coming from the bathroom.

but I loved the environment - lots of comfortable couches and seats, indoors and outdoors. the bar man David is a friendly guy, and there's wifi in the evenings (which slows down when too many people use it). I spent a lot of time relaxing at the lodge when I wasn't out on a game drive.

the staff are friendly and very helpful, and there's always someone waiting to help you with your bags when you're going to check out, which is good because some of the lodges are a long walk from the main reception area.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Well we did not enjoy the food at all.. The Hotel was good, housekeeping was excellent and so was the check-in brief also the bar man was so friendly. But the food manager was not very help full he did not even go around to ask if everyone was okay like other hotels.. The rooms are too far away which we used to hate to go to as to come back to the bar or restaurant was an issue.
They need to improve on their food as for the three days we were there we got the same boring food. Customer service is very important

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

As opposed to another Sopa lodge I'd reviewed this one was run much better. An awful long walk to the rooms but there are nice chaps to help you with it all.
Nice rooms, nice general areas, great chefs, free wifi in a lovely bar area, great staff.
It's got everything you need to have a great base when discovering the Masai Mara.
Rough roads close to the location but what do you expect?
Very recommended

Room Tip: Try a balloon morning. We went on, not kidding, the Hot Air Balloon company. Can't praise it up...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Great place. Nice and quiet location. The staff is friendly and makes everything possible to make you feel at home. Rooms are big and clean, bathroom is big with all the neccesary. The only issue is noise from the next room, but if you have the same hours is not a problem.
Food is good (not great), with a good variety and spices.
Will come back for my next visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Doha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Everything about the lodge is nice, great and friendly staff. Nice and clean rooms. But no power during the day time. Free Wifi in the bar and lobby area with okay speed. The road from the park gate to the lodge is really bad. They need to work on this.

Room Tip: Select rooms near the reception if you have mobility problem or old because some of the rooms are re...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The lodge is located in what I consider to be quite a remote area. We seemed to have to drive about 30 minutes before reaching the plains where game viewing became better.

We were assigned room 22 with two queen beds and a single, as we were triple occupancy. It shares a rondavel with room 21.

The room and bathroom was very spacious but was not well light. Hair dryers are available but you must ask at the front desk and it will be provided with deposit. Get it early in the afternoon as they don't have enough for each room. Amenities included 3 complimentary bottles of water (nightly), a safe and bath toiletries. There was limited counter space in the bathroom and limited tabletop surface for our stuff. So we used our third single bed as general "desk" area.

There is free WiFi but is available only in the reception and main bar area.

There are different activities each night--Masai dancing, night feeding of animals (mainly house cats come, we saw mongoose and that's about as exotic as it got).

During meals, we were seated with our bus mates. I think that's how they seat everyone so every single meal, you knew where you sat and with who and who will serve you. Meals are all buffet style.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Mara Sopa Lodge? Share your experiences!