“Mid Year Mara Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mara Sopa Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mara Sopa Lodge
Save Saved
You added Mara Sopa Lodge to your Saves list
C14, Keekorok, Oloolaimutia valley (Masai Mara Reserve) | Oloolaimutia Gate, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Nairobi, Kenya
“Mid Year Mara Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We did a mid year vacation as couples. It was a lovely tour, we had an awesome tour guide. The welcome at the hotel was very nice, and staff were pleasant throughout out stay and helpful. The cottages with the balcony were absolutely marvelous.

Food was great, and the evening feeding of the animals was epic.

Our only qualm was lack of attending staff in the pool area...and the pricing of the drinks is a bit steep. Additionally, sometimes in the lower area, the bar was not well stocked and "obvious" drinks would be missing.

Overall, a great place to stay in the Mara

Room Tip: Room 43 awesome views and balcony
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

388 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Nagpur, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Nice property ! The stay at Lodge was very relaxing and serene. Cottages give the true experience of enjoying the nature by not having phone connections in room , electricity and hot water only available for specific time. Hospitable staff and great service. Safari trips were organised very well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My travel partner and I stayed 2 nights, April 20 & 21, 2013. We were very pleased with our reception and our room. When we booked we were not aware that electricity and hot water had specific times of availability, but this did not prove to be problematic. Between time on Safari,in the pool, eating or just enjoying the huge fireplace in the bar area we actually never noticed it. We had one issue with our room and it was addressed immediately to our satisfaction. Someone near our room snored so loudly it woke me up. I spoke guest relations and they were going to move us but the offended checked out and it wasn't necesary, BUT we went back to our room and heard a loud family with younger children - we went back and asked to be moved. They moved us immediately to a very quiet comfortable room. All in all a good experience.

Room Tip: pool was very nice - changing room at the pool with towels
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Marina del Rey, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Located in a woodsy riverine area, the Sopa surroundings made for a pleasant respite from the game drive. The room and the grounds are lovely, and the large fireplace in the main room was a pleasure to cozy up to, along with lounging at the pool. However, it’s a bit of distance to the game park on rough, bumpy dirt roads. It can also be a long walk to get from the lobby to your room, as the layout is very linear. Each thatched structure for accommodations has two rooms, and the wall separation was not well sound proofed. The food served was just average. The service was decent and staff were attentive and polite.

Bad news for those who require daily contact with the outside world - there is no Wi-Fi at the lodge, a sad statement these days for a four-star lodge. The bad news gets far worse now…the morning I checked out, my driver was told that the tour company I used to make the booking had not paid the lodge. The lodge manager was attempting to “work it out” with them, but until that happened, we were being denied exit from the lodge property (Sopa has a security gate). In effect, we were being held hostage. When my driver said this to me, I marched up to the reception desk and asked to speak to the manager. Ten minutes later he appeared and explained the situation. I told him that if he didn’t permit my driver and me to leave the premises immediately, I would contact the American Embassy. I walked away to call a contact in Nairobi for the U.S. Embassy number. After a few minutes my driver approached me to say we were free to go. This was no way to treat a guest who was not responsible for the payment snafu!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Lodge with Planer Safari from Nairobi. Whilst our visit was during the migration ewe still enjoyed the wildlife. The stay at the llodge was pleasant and relaxed. People were hospitable and meals were adequate. It was great relaxing on the lapa and next to the swimming pool overlooking the Mara plains.
Each thatched rondawel has 2 rooms. Unfortunately the dividing wall was not a very sound proof barrier.

Room Tip: The distance to the furthest room is quite far (and not level) which make it tiring to move between...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Galax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've been to the Masai Mara twice and stayed in the Mara Sopa both times. Truthfully, I liked it better the first time. The property is lovely and the staff are very helpful, the pool is beautiful, but if there's a noisy group on the property you can hear them from five rooms away. The food is average and the distance to the reserve means that you spend a lot of time on really rough roads seeing nothing but Maasai cows and goats.

Next time I visit I'll fly in (the roads are bone jarring) and stay at one of the centrally located lodges.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We loved Sopa Lodge. The rooms were clean and spacious. The ambience was very tranquil. The food was good especially the buffet and the breakfast. We loved having our tea infront of the fireplace. We loved it and will return. Very nice pool area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mara Sopa Lodge? Share your experiences!