“A unique and wonderful place” 5 of 5 stars

Talek, C14, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00100, Kenya   |
Announcement
Wilderness Camp
Ireland
“A unique and wonderful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Having worked for some weeks with one of the Maasai educational projects Basecamp supports at Koiyake Guiding School, I had the amazing good fortune to spend three nights at Basecamp Masai Mara. Having come to know the Maasai people a little better it was wonderful to see their industry and experience their kindness and care in this glorious spot by the Talek river with views across the savannah. This is a most understated and luxurious camp, yet totally eco-friendly and ethically run. Game drives were amazing, and food and comfort was exceptional. I would highly recommend a stay here, or at their sister camp Eagle's View : it must rank as the experience of a lifetime.

Room Tip: All the tents are equally wonderful
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Tromso, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Basecamp Masai Mara is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places I have ever visited. I felt like home as soon as I entered the area. I concept is brilliant, and it feels very up to date, as well as traditional. Masai Mara is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, and to me it doesn't seem more then fair to encourage eco-friendly initiatives like Basecamp, in my opinion all the lodges should replicate this concept. I had a wonderful time!!

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Basecanp is exactly what you would imagine a trip to Maasi Mara should be. Luxury but with ecologically preserving practices. And commitment to the community it occupies.
Wonderful tents along a river, fabulous with with a lot of variety and lovely service.

Would definitely return

Room Tip: Tents along the river were wonderful. I would not choose the tent that the Obama's stayed in as...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Cornwall, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at basecamp for two nights in early May which was the rainy season in Kenya.
The staff were very helpful and welcoming and assisted us in everyway possible. The local massai warriors even walked us from our tents to dinner with umbrellas.
The accommodation is simple and natural with open showers (a little cold at this time of year!) and a comfortable long drop toilet (do not let that put you off, it has a comfortable seat).
The food is well presented, fresh and on time. The waiting staff tend to every need including bringing coffee to your tent at 6am before a game drive!
Beer and soft drinks are well priced, but watch the price of spirits!
All in all I would highly recommend this place.....

Room Tip: Choose a river side tent for the pleasure of waking up with a Hippo in front of your balcony!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

We enjoyed a fabulous three night safari stay at base camp. How to describe the experience... From the welcome of cold refreshing scented facecloths and fresh juice aftr a very jarring and dusty journey there to the hot water bottles warming the beds after a delicious dinner, the staff had cared for every detail. We got everything we came for and more. Steve, our Masai game guide was so patient and knowledgable and enjoyable. He turned off the engine so there was no vibration for pictures, unlike some of the other outfits we saw. We saw amazing wildlife, yet felt very safe and protected. The philosophy of the camp regarding empowerment of the Masai community and protection of the environment is very refreshing. The meals and service were all exquisite.We are already looking for a way to come back!

• Stayed January 2012
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

While volunteering in Maai Mahiu we took a quick to Basecamp for one night and it was, for a lack of a better word, magical. The drive was long and very, very bumpy. Be prepared and don’t expect for many stops along the way. The drive allows you to see how the locals live and soak in the Kenyan culture. Once we arrived we were greeted with a fresh glass of juice and then shown to our “rooms” which are actually just tents. This is not a hotel, but rather, a fancy place to camp- having an outdoor shower and exotic animals just a few feet from where you sleep. They have local tribesmen standing guard for you at night in case you need to leave your tent, because the monkeys are not known for friendliness. The food was delish and great customer service was provided by the staff. The dinner house is all open so you can watch the beautiful animals roam while you eat your meals. This place is super romantic so it’s a great spot for couples. I consider staying here one of my greatest adventures yet and I think anyone who has the opportunity to travel here is incredibly lucky in life.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

This trip was just fantastic. When arriving at Olkiombo Airstrip, my guides where greeting me a warm welcome before we through a gamedrive headed for the Basecamp.
This Eco-camp was located just beside the Talek-river with breakfast-view over the Savannah with the animals grazing in the chilly morning.
Also here the reception of guests was good. The hospitality of the employees were as expected. The cabins were original, tidy and clean.
The food was good, with starters, main course and desserts every day. The staff were friendly and service-minded and seemed professional. After dark you can hear all the sounds of the Savannah. Especially when you try to sleep in your cabin/tent you can hear the lions roaring and all the monkeys just close up around your cabin.
The game-drive's were great, one in the morning before returning to breakfast and one in the afternoon. It was not hard to discover and see the animals as we actually saw four out of the big 5's the at the first game-drive. You also had the opportunity to do several other activities beside game-drives, but for me I enjoyed the lunches at day time and my private hammock at my terrace with a good book.
After my stay in Basecamp I left for Nairobi.
I would recommend this place for people in all ages, its a perfect place for a two-four day stop. As a solo-traveller you just need to have a open mind to meet new people, and I met new people along the way. I always had someone to share my dinners with although I travelled on my own.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Basecamp Masai Mara? Share your experiences!