We stayed here for three nights in March 2014. This was our 4th stay here, our previous stays were in September (2005, 2007 & 2009), March was certainly different, but just as fantastic for big cat viewing.
We have stayed in most of the room types across the lodge and our favourite rooms are the ones along side the lodge exit road. We had room 90 for this visit.
The room had 3 UK power sockets, in room safe and a hairdryer. There was WiFi available at the lodge only.
Power went off between 10am and 12pm, 3pm and 6pm and midnight and 5 am.
The buffet meals were disappointing, and even though we were there early, the food was often already cool.
The staff were really friendly, we especially had great service from James (hippo bar) and Patrick (in the restaurant).
The grounds at Keekorok are the main attraction for staying here (and the great location in the heart of the Mara). The raised walkways are great for bird spotters especially in the morning and of course watching the hippos from the bar is a great relaxing (and smelly) experience.
We thought March might have not been so great for seeing big cats with the migration being many miles away, but we actually saw more lions with big kills than every before! We also had great cheetah sightings too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Over 700 square miles of lush, sun-drenched plains encircle Keekorok Lodge, the oldest property in the Masai Mara Game Reserve in southwest Kenya. The lodge was opened in 1962 and is ideally situated in the direct path of the spectacular animal migration that occurs every year from July to October. Guests can experience unparalleled safari adventures and morning and evening game drives are a must for anyone visiting the reserve ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Keekorok Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve