“The Mara” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels

You added Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels to your Saves list
Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C14 Keekorok | Masai Mara Reserve, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nairobi, Kenya
“The Mara”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

One of the oldest lodges in the Mara; and well situated within the park. We were lucky to see many Wildebeeste, Cheetahs, elephants and lions within an hours drive of the lodge. Good food, and very friendly staff.
Issues were very high priced drinks and a whole contingent of chinese tourists who had no idea they were in the middle of the park. These guys partied till close to 2am, shouting, smoking & drinking, banging doors and generally being obnoxious and completely unruly. Despite 2 calls to the reception very little was done and it spoilt a good day & evening as none of the other residents got any sleep !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
rahulsoodsah, Managing Director at Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Kenyan123,

Thank you for your vital feedback. My team and I were elated to read your comments and to know you had a memorable stay with us. Constructive feedback not only helps us to enhance employee morale but also assists us to continue deliver superior product & services. We would relook at the prcing of beverages. We look forward to welcome you again soon at our hotel. Many thanks. Rahul Sood & Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Worst experience ever! My daughter and I were booked into keekorok lodge in early September for 2 nights as part of our safari but when we arrived at Keekarok we we're sent off to get lunch and told our rooms would be allocated after we had eaten. When we went back to get our rooms and keys 6 of us were told we had been put in the "VIP" lodge which sounded very grand. The "lodge" was in fact a run down 3 bedroom house on the outskirts of the main lodge which we had to be driven to and was probably staff accommodation, it was so basic, one of the rooms' shower was in the corridor! There was no protection around it from wild animals. We were all absolutely disgusted and were driven back to reception. I had stayed here 2 years previously and knew what to expect from the accommodation. By this time our other 4 travelling companions were at reception having also been allocated staff rooms. We were told by the most obnoxious woman Christine on reception that our travel company had not booked our rooms and there was nothing they could do about it and at this point all the staff who had previously been friendly made us feel very uncomfortable. The general manager Symon Nyamu who was already sorting out a similar complaint by 4 Italian tourists took no notice of our complaints, never apologised, was extremely rude and did not know how to deal with the situation, he was totally incompetent. Our wonderful driver's from Pollmans arranged our alternative accommodation at the amazing Sentrim Camp where we spent the night eventually. We subsequently learnt that our rooms had been sold to a party of Chinese guests who had contacted Keekorok that day and not our travel company's fault at all so was just greed on the management's part.

We returned to Keekarok for our 2nd night and the place was very crowded and chaotic, it is extremely popular with the Chinese who they mainly cater for. The waiting staff were great, hippo pool good but nothing could make up for the way we were treated. One of our travelling companions was a solicitor and she and another guest spent the whole evening politely making sure we got a signed letter from the GM agreeing to refund one nights stay which they did. The GM had locked himself in his office at this point!

The reason I left posting this review until now was that after we got back we got an automatic email from Vaishali Pattni Exec. Sec. and a letter from Mr Rahul Sood, MD of Sun Africa who own Keekorok, making sure that our stay was good and if there was anything they could improve on, so to give them a chance to somehow redeem themselves, I sent a polite email with the complaints and informing them of the incompetence of their management, followed by 2 more emails as i hadnt had a reply. I did get one reply weeks ago from Rahul Sood saying he was on vacation and I have heard nothing from him since then.

I have read similar reviews to mine so this is not a one off case - I would recommend Sentrim Mara Camp though!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
From: Sylvia Leigh-Quine
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 5:49 PM
To: Rahul Sood [SAH]
Subject: RE: Your Stay at Keekorok Lodge

Dear Rahul

Thank you for your email and I hope you had a good vacation.

Thank you for investigating my complaint and yes the suggestions you made below are acceptable to me and I look forward to hearing from my tour operator Hayes & Jarvis.

Kind regards
Sylvia Leigh-Quine

From: Rahul Sood [SAH]
Sent: 19 November 2012 00:48
To: Sylvia Leigh-Quine
Subject: RE: Your Stay at Keekorok Lodge

Dear Sylvia,

Thank you for your time to write to me and apologies for the delay in response as I was away on my annual leave.

Feedback from our guest helps us to provide premier services at Sun Africa Hotels & we sincerely believe and take all efforts at Sun Africa Hotels to ensure that all our guest stays are comfortable and that they are delivered with the highest standards of guest experience. Comments from our guests are of critical importance to us in assessing our performance. Their observations provide us with an invaluable opportunity to ensure that we continue to provide the standard of service and facilities which you expect from Sun Africa Hotels.

We at Sun Africa Hotels always strive to ensure each guest leaves us as an Ambassador and we have done a detailed investigation with our team at the hotel with regards to your feedback, hence please allow me the liberty to explain:

1. I am sure you had planned this holiday much in advance with loads of memories, the overbooking situation at the hotel did disturb your holiday and the response by my team at the hotel was not appropriate. We have ensured that all such overbooking’s are handled much in advance, communicated to respective tour operators so we don’t have a disturbed holiday for the guest.
2. We did compensate one night full refund to your tour operator which in turn was passed to you and with reference to your email I can understand the refund did not compensate the loss of holiday experience.

To ensure greater guest satisfaction and our commitment to provide premier services, we would be elated to refund the second night as well for your room. Furthermore, we would also send you a two night complimentary voucher which can be utilized within next 6 months. We would process the refund through your tour operator, if this arrangement works well for you. Please confirm this at your earliest convenience.

Many thanks!

Best regards
RS
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I spent the day in this hotel and found it extremely refreshing after being in rural areas of Kenya. The food was amazing and anything you can think of was offered. $23 US - eat all you can. The boardwalk along the river and the curio shop was wonderful to get gifts and sundries. It was great to have that little break of north american luxury which is really not necessary when there is so much beauty and wildlife to experience.
Friendly, clean bathrooms, and a bit of chocolate available which is hard to find in the Reserve.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Slovakianchic,

The staff and the management would like to thank you for your review with regards to your recent stay with us. We are truly happy that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Many thanks. Rahul Sood & Team
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Keekorok was the third stay (of five) of our Kenya trip and, unfortunately despite its location in the Mara, our least favourite.

First impressions were good – nice big open timber reception, a welcome drink and plenty of smiles as we first arrived. However, we could see quite quickly that this was going to be a little different to our previous accommodations as it felt positively crowded in comparison – people milling about everywhere we looked. Keekorok appears to get quite busy compared to many lodges in the parks.

Our room (number 11) was okay - fairly plain compared the other places we stayed (Ol Tukai in Amboseli, Shimba Hills Lodge and Kiboko Luxury Camp) but clean and reasonably well equipped with comfortable beds, decent wardrobe space and a large safe. Our main complaint here (and that of other guests in our group) was the lack of seating at the lodges.. one stool inside the room, one canvas seat and accompanying footstool in the porch.. fine if you are staying on your own but totally inadequate for a couple if you want to sit out on the porch (or in the room where the bed is the second seat).

The lodge grounds are one of it’s better points with large grassy areas where you’ll see a lot of brightly coloured birds, vervet monkeys and butterflies. The pool area is surrounded by walls covered in brightly coloured flowers and if you visit the pool area after breakfast, you may (as I did) catch the monkeys diving into the pool and lounging on the sunbeds which is hilarious to watch.

Beyond this are some wooden walkways which leads to both an Elephant deck where you can sit and watch the birds in the surrounding trees or off into the savannah, and also the Hippo Pool Bar where you can sit with a cool drink and watch the hippos in the watering hole (also visited by elephants and lions although we didn't see any there during our stay).

The dining experience was the biggest let down for us at Keekorok. Due to the number of guests staying at the lodge, we had to wait in the bar for a table to become available at dinner time and the restaurant always seemed busy with the staff rushing about trying to keep up. All meals were buffets and much of the food seemed to cater for Indian and Asian guests. While I’m partial to the odd foreign meal, a bit more variety would have been nice. There was some meats and pasta dishes available at the chef station but there was always a queue for those, and I heard many grumbles from people who had queued and then just given up. The buffet sometimes looked as though they had been out for a good while and I had to hide my distaste when handling some of the serving spoons at times. After the second night at Keekorok, I spend most of the night and next morning pretty sick – I can’t say for sure it was the food here, but it has been many years since I was this sick (and I do travel a lot).

Other negatives were the expensive and unreliable WiFi (only available in the reception area as far as I could tell - the one time I went to bu an hour, it was not working) and on all three occasions when I went to ask for change (for tips) at the cashier desk, I was told they didn't have any.

As with many other lodges, power is limited to certain times of the day but this is to be expected when running from generators and as it’s mostly off when people are out on game drives (or sleeping), it was never a problem for us.

All-in-all, Keekorok is fine as a base for game drives but I would recommend somewhere else in the Masai Mara if you are looking for a more intimate or relaxed stay.

Pros:
• Hippo bar and elephant lookout great place to relax and watch the wildlife
• Nice pool area and grounds
• Decent size safes
• Some of the staff are great (Samson in the Hippo Bar is definitely worth a mention here)

Cons:
• Too large and too busy compared to other lodges
• Wait for food and quality of food pretty low
• Majority of staff just seem too busy
• Rooms are quite plain/uninspired
• Expensive and unreliable wi-fi (only in reception area)
• lack of seating in the lodges!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mproudfoot,

Thank you for your valuable time to write review about our hotel. First of all, let me sincerely apologize about all the shortcomings during your stay with us. Feedback from our guest helps us to provide premier services at Sun Africa Hotels. We sincerely believe and take all efforts at Sun Africa Hotels to ensure that all our guest stays are comfortable and that they are delivered with the highest standards of guest experience.

We have commenced to work on areas as mentioned by you and have increased space for seating and wifi speed is improved. Also the buffte is revisited by the Chef to offer variety. Once again, many thanks for the feedback which has helped us to identify improvement areas and would place us a step higher in our customer satisfaction. Many thanks. Rahul Sood & Team
Wroxham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We spent two nights here and three days and had a wonderful time. Our drive and guide were excellent and they made sure we saw plenty of animals. Walking out to the hippo pool is fun enjoying a drink and watching them wallow in their pool. We also saw a cheetah stalking impala while we were there. The downside to our trip was that we were told we had superior accommodation and we were only give standard but that is minor in view of the small amount of time spent in your room. (Up early each morning for game drives and, in our case, a hot air balloon trip.) People complain about the food at Keekorok but what I think is that most people are missing the fact that they are trying to cater for many different nationalities and not everyone enjoys the same sort of food. This, I consider, is something British travellers should bear in mind when they complain. I thought that on the whole the food was fine. The staff are charming and helpful and they are doing their best to ensure that you have an enjoyable time whilst on safari which, after all, is what we are there for.

Room Tip: Book a superior room which is one of the chalets.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JMB50,

Ankara, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

First of all,if you are talking safari in Kenya,Maasai Mara is the place to be with numbers of species and thousands of animals.However,this lodge is far from fulfilling the expectations,I'm afraid.We were given a room right next to the front gate,which was guite inconvenient ragarding the distance.The food was real average,service being in accordance.The Maasai dance show at dinner and Hippo Bar by the waterhole are some of the few I could keep as good remembrance.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in front of the reception area,and please keep in mind that there is no fences at this...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear AyhanAnkara_Turkey,

Thank you for your review. The staff and the management are delighted to know you had a good stay. We would certainly improvise on the food variety and qulaity. We do look forward to welcome you again at Keekorok Lodge. Many thanks Rahul Sood & team.
Dormagen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Spontaneously we decided to take a two-day flight safari during our beach vacation in the Mombasa area. Our travel agent from Pollman's proposed Keekerok Lodge. Right was she! The place is great, the people there are extremely friendly and helpful (especially David, James and Milton). Keekerok is right in the middle of everything - passing the gate and wildlife is awaiting you. We plan to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Martinpg,

We are delighted to read your positive review about our hotel and thank you so much for your stay. We are pleased you enjoyed the hotel, our service & our hospitality. Positive comments like yours encourage to build our staff morale. We look forward to welcome you again soon at our hotel. Many thanks. Rahul Sood & Team.

Been to Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels? Share your experiences!