We spent two nights at the Mara Serena in late October. Nestling high above the Mara River and the plains, the location is absolutely stunning, and an ideal base for game drives in the reserve, which is rich with animals. Sight, sound and smell combined to provide a phenomenal experience: the lion roaring its territorial ownership during the picth black of night, the grceful form of cheetahs moving through the grass and the stench of rotting flesh at the Mara Crossing, where so many wildebeest had lost their lives whilst crossing the river - a glut of corpses way beyond the immediate needs of the crocodiles, vultures and Maribou storks.
Staff throughout the hotel were pleasant and helpful and the food was very good; it was especially nice to have early morning coffee and a light snack before setting off on an early morning game drive. It was wonderful never to have to carry a suitcase, either up or down the relatively challenging incline to access the rooms, or 'pods'. These were clean and had excellent mosquito nets over the main bed, although they are made for two, really and with three of us in the room, it was somewhat cramped. The view over the plains was breath-taking, but they would benefit from mesh over the viewing doors and, given the high temperatures when we were there, a ceiling fan would have been a definite improvement. The lighting towards the rooms is subdued, and I did see that some people sensibly used torches; one elderly lady suffered an unfortunate fall, so I would recommend that, if you have any form of mobility problem, you ask for a room as close to main reception as possible. That said, we had a really positive experience, and would happily return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mara Serena Safari Lodge, set on a saddle of a hill, overlooks the 1,800 square km of rolling plains at an altitude of 1625 meters at the Masai Mara Triangle, one of the world's richest wildlife sanctuaries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Mara Serena Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Serena Safari Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Serena Safari Lodge Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve