Enjoyed 3 days, 2 nights at Bateleur Camp in June, 2013. What made it so wonderful, besides the excellent property, was the Manager, Milka. Milka met us at the airstrip with a beautiful spread of Champagne, coffee, cold drinks, biscuits, and dried fruit chips spread out on a Massai blanket. Then a Bush drive on the through the Mara towards the And Beyond camp. Lovely furnishings, velvet sofas, etc. set in the reception room overlooking the Mara. Her enthusiasm and care for running the camp, having the staff, chef, and all waiting for our vehicles to arrive, and singing us in. Milka is truly a gem. Our "tent', number 16, was enjoyed by Reese Witherspoon for 3 days prior to our arrival. I think Chris Rock also staying in the same tent. Hardly a tent, wood floors, and interiors you must look up on their site. Maasi Warriors escort you to and from your tent after 6:30pm and prior to 6:30 am as the locals (animals) can roam at night.
Instead of the usual "do Not Distrub" plackets for your door, you use a Massai sword propped across your door if you want privacy.
Saved the best for last. The food was beyond belief. Fresh greens grown on the property, soups, and lamb, chicken or fish were served with great aplomb. Wines for lunch and dinner, and of course, "Tuskers" beer, a Kenyan delight.
At night, candles glow everywhere, on tables, floor, and from the trees. Magical. And for the record, the Bush runs yielded plenty of photo ops of the fabulous animals.
If I return to Africa, surely this is a spot I will return to.
- Also Known As:
- Bateleur Camp At Kichwa Tembo Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Bateleur Camp At Kichwa Tembo Hotel
- AndBeyond Bateleur Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set among forests on the very edge of the Masai Mara, each elegant tent at andBeyond Bateleur Camp replicates the style and glamour of vintage Africa. A world of hardwood floors, polished silver and sparkling crystal is juxtaposed against the romance of the open Mara plains, with their abundant herds of wildlife.• 18 tented suites• Butler service• Lodge swimming pool• Use of wifi connectivity at andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp• Great Migration, kongoni, topi, elephant, buffalo, giraffe, lion and cheetah ... more less