“Simply The Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of andBeyond Bateleur Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
andBeyond Bateleur Camp
4.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   C14, Keekorok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Laguna Beach, California
“Simply The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Enjoyed 3 days, 2 nights at Bateleur Camp in June, 2013. What made it so wonderful, besides the excellent property, was the Manager, Milka. Milka met us at the airstrip with a beautiful spread of Champagne, coffee, cold drinks, biscuits, and dried fruit chips spread out on a Massai blanket. Then a Bush drive on the through the Mara towards the And Beyond camp. Lovely furnishings, velvet sofas, etc. set in the reception room overlooking the Mara. Her enthusiasm and care for running the camp, having the staff, chef, and all waiting for our vehicles to arrive, and singing us in. Milka is truly a gem. Our "tent', number 16, was enjoyed by Reese Witherspoon for 3 days prior to our arrival. I think Chris Rock also staying in the same tent. Hardly a tent, wood floors, and interiors you must look up on their site. Maasi Warriors escort you to and from your tent after 6:30pm and prior to 6:30 am as the locals (animals) can roam at night.

Instead of the usual "do Not Distrub" plackets for your door, you use a Massai sword propped across your door if you want privacy.

Saved the best for last. The food was beyond belief. Fresh greens grown on the property, soups, and lamb, chicken or fish were served with great aplomb. Wines for lunch and dinner, and of course, "Tuskers" beer, a Kenyan delight.

At night, candles glow everywhere, on tables, floor, and from the trees. Magical. And for the record, the Bush runs yielded plenty of photo ops of the fabulous animals.

If I return to Africa, surely this is a spot I will return to.

Room Tip: Tent 16, a short walk thru the bush from the public area. that said, all tents are quiet, apart fro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Guilford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was my first stay and my first safari. As a solo traveler, I felt so at home and welcomed by the staff. My game driver was fantastic. I couldn't ask for a more perfect trip. The attention to detail by my room steward, the chef's creations, and the entire atmosphere created by the staff was amazing. I would definitely stay here again. My tented lodge was jaw-dropping and perfect for surroundings. I wish I could have spent more time here. I would have done some of the other trips that were offered and gotten a massage!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Denville, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was our first stay at an &Beyond Camp - highly recommended by our travel planner, Linda Friedman (of Custom Safaris in Washington, DC) – and I can guarantee that we will go out of our way to create a reason to stay at others! From our initial greeting at the airstrip; to Milka’s unbelievable high energy and positive attitude, her warmth in making us feel so “at home” while engaging in conversation on any number of subjects and her exuding pride in the company’s give back philosophy and involvement in the community; to Chef Meshak’s creative and beautiful creations (and catering to my wife’s crazy food allergies); to Little Joseph’s daily welcoming wake-up call; to Francis’ lively conversation and gratitude each night as he walked us back to our tent; to Pricillah’s constant concern that my wife wasn’t getting enough to eat…..on & on it goes. This company knows how to do it right! Pampering is an understatement. Quality of accommodations fantastic! Service out of this world! Food to die for! Intimate but comfortable (non-stuffy atmosphere). Phenomenal wildlife viewing. What more could you ask for? And, the company has an unbelievably successful practice of sustainability, giving back and immersing in the local communities - real social responsibility. Can't say enough - have stayed in many of the best hotels in the world - but our experience at Bateleur Camp was head and shoulders better than any others. Expensive - but worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Bateleur was my first stay on my first safari and I cannot say enough wonderful things about it. As a solo traveler, I felt incredibly welcome. Bateleur is set at the foot of an escarpment in the Masai Mara. As such, it is a fantastic jumping off point for your daily game drives. The tents are exquisite and the hospitality of the staff unparelled. On my last night in camp the staff organized a dinner under the stars by the Mara river as a farewell--an unforgettable experience. For those with children or who are looking for a slightly less expensive camp but a similarly phenomenal experience, stay in the sister camp, Kichwa Tembo. The camp is somewhat larger but your game drives, food, hospitality and overall experience will be just as amazing. All I can really say is:go, you will not regret a moment you spend with &Beyond in this beautiful camp.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This camp is incredible! We booked our safari with JT Safaris and on his suggestion, we booked a 2 night stay in Kichwa Tembo Tented camp (the sister camp to Bateleur).
We were met at the private airstrip by our safari guide Wilson who was brilliant. The camp is only a ten minute drive from the airstrip. When we approached the camp we were confused as Wilson turned left towards Bateleur instead of right into the tented camp. As both camps were so quiet we had been moved into the 5 start Bateleur camp (at no extra cost) for the duration of our stay!
The phrase '5 star' simply does not do this place justice.
The staff gathered outside of the lodge to perform a welcome song as we arrived and from that moment on we were made to feel so special by each and every member of staff. We were given our own butler for our stay (John) and he was amazing.
The rooms/tents have to be seen to be believed. They are beautifully decorated and all face out over the mara. Maina looked after our tent for the duration of our stay and made it very special for us. The hot water bottles in the bed at night are a great touch.
The food at this camp is brilliant. Chef makes amazing soup and fresh bread to start the meals! On our second night, we were the only couple at the camp and the Chef offered to cook anything we wanted!
The game drives with Wilson were awesome. The mara is just an incredible place. We were fortunate enough on our last day to see an entire pride of Lions (2 males, 3 females and 5 cubs).....we sat and watched them for over an hour.
All in all, this camp is paradise. We were so lucky to be moved here and we will never forget our exerience.

Room Tip: We had tent 6, which had amazing views of the mara - im sure most of the rooms do.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

One can not expect anything better than this camp trying to get enough of wild.its cosy, safe, friendly and yes at its best. Luxurious tents with best views for sunrise..roaming wild pigs n occasionaly some monkeys.
You can witness all the animals just a mile away whil sipping ur evening tea or rising baloons in the morning. Amazing food..staff is full of jeal n joy n african mood..sole lady staff yunis dances with joy while staff applauds n manager plays the music..tent boy little joshep is has got a big smile n tells the secrect behind it...
We had amazing time of our life,, cant complain anything..
Thanks all

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Piekary Slaskie, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I booked my safari with JT SAFARIS (JULIUS TACT SAFARIS) to Masai Mara before my holiday in Kenya. I sent JT small deposit and other money I paid after my safari. I stayed in Kichwa Tembo (Bateleur Camp). Everything was mutch better than I expected. Delicious, very fresh food, very friendly people. I felt really great out there thanks to them! Big thank you for my game driver Sophia, who helped me to see almost all big five!!! She is a great driver and nice travel companion. I will come back in the future and certainly will choose Kichwa Tembo (Bateleur Camp).
I confidently recommend JT SAFARIS(JULIUS TACT SAFARIS) and next time I definitely will book my safari with Julius Nzumbi!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to andBeyond Bateleur Camp? Share your experiences!