“Breathtaking!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of andBeyond Bateleur Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Prices are for rooms, adults
andBeyond Bateleur Camp
Save Saved
You added andBeyond Bateleur Camp to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   C14, Keekorok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Columbia, South Carolina
“Breathtaking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Bateleur was my first stay on my first safari and I cannot say enough wonderful things about it. As a solo traveler, I felt incredibly welcome. Bateleur is set at the foot of an escarpment in the Masai Mara. As such, it is a fantastic jumping off point for your daily game drives. The tents are exquisite and the hospitality of the staff unparelled. On my last night in camp the staff organized a dinner under the stars by the Mara river as a farewell--an unforgettable experience. For those with children or who are looking for a slightly less expensive camp but a similarly phenomenal experience, stay in the sister camp, Kichwa Tembo. The camp is somewhat larger but your game drives, food, hospitality and overall experience will be just as amazing. All I can really say is:go, you will not regret a moment you spend with &Beyond in this beautiful camp.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This camp is incredible! We booked our safari with JT Safaris and on his suggestion, we booked a 2 night stay in Kichwa Tembo Tented camp (the sister camp to Bateleur).
We were met at the private airstrip by our safari guide Wilson who was brilliant. The camp is only a ten minute drive from the airstrip. When we approached the camp we were confused as Wilson turned left towards Bateleur instead of right into the tented camp. As both camps were so quiet we had been moved into the 5 start Bateleur camp (at no extra cost) for the duration of our stay!
The phrase '5 star' simply does not do this place justice.
The staff gathered outside of the lodge to perform a welcome song as we arrived and from that moment on we were made to feel so special by each and every member of staff. We were given our own butler for our stay (John) and he was amazing.
The rooms/tents have to be seen to be believed. They are beautifully decorated and all face out over the mara. Maina looked after our tent for the duration of our stay and made it very special for us. The hot water bottles in the bed at night are a great touch.
The food at this camp is brilliant. Chef makes amazing soup and fresh bread to start the meals! On our second night, we were the only couple at the camp and the Chef offered to cook anything we wanted!
The game drives with Wilson were awesome. The mara is just an incredible place. We were fortunate enough on our last day to see an entire pride of Lions (2 males, 3 females and 5 cubs).....we sat and watched them for over an hour.
All in all, this camp is paradise. We were so lucky to be moved here and we will never forget our exerience.

Room Tip: We had tent 6, which had amazing views of the mara - im sure most of the rooms do.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

One can not expect anything better than this camp trying to get enough of wild.its cosy, safe, friendly and yes at its best. Luxurious tents with best views for sunrise..roaming wild pigs n occasionaly some monkeys.
You can witness all the animals just a mile away whil sipping ur evening tea or rising baloons in the morning. Amazing food..staff is full of jeal n joy n african mood..sole lady staff yunis dances with joy while staff applauds n manager plays the music..tent boy little joshep is has got a big smile n tells the secrect behind it...
We had amazing time of our life,, cant complain anything..
Thanks all

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Piekary Slaskie, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I booked my safari with JT SAFARIS (JULIUS TACT SAFARIS) to Masai Mara before my holiday in Kenya. I sent JT small deposit and other money I paid after my safari. I stayed in Kichwa Tembo (Bateleur Camp). Everything was mutch better than I expected. Delicious, very fresh food, very friendly people. I felt really great out there thanks to them! Big thank you for my game driver Sophia, who helped me to see almost all big five!!! She is a great driver and nice travel companion. I will come back in the future and certainly will choose Kichwa Tembo (Bateleur Camp).
I confidently recommend JT SAFARIS(JULIUS TACT SAFARIS) and next time I definitely will book my safari with Julius Nzumbi!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at &Beyond Bateleur Camp in October and it was absolutely amazing. The staff is top notch, the game drives are spectacular and the tents are so luxurious. We got up close to some of the most impressive animals who call the Masai Mara home. If you are visiting, you must request Benedict as your driver for the Game Drives....he's super knowledgeable about the area, local history and the animals. And, he makes the most amazing breakfast out in the bush. Hands down, our favorite camp in Kenya…An absolute must visit if you're booking a safari.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

On a Micato Grand Safari in October 2012, we were fortunate enough to stay two nights at Bateleur Camp. This was hands-down our favorite tented camp on safari! The luxury (in every sense of the word) tents are aesthetically beautiful, well designed and thought out. The view of the Masai Mara from the tent is magical and quite spectacular to see giraffes walking by! We even had a wart hog family living in the brush along side our tent that wandered from time to time on our "lawn." The camp personnel are friendly, professional, and a delight to talk to. And another hands-down "best" is the food! Bateleur's chef is a true talent, preparing innovative and fresh food, from custom breakfast omelets, to custom salads, to first-rate entrees. On our second evening game drive, after getting up close and personal with a female leopard hunting an impala, we were taken further in the bush as it became dark. Around a rocky bend we came upon a roaring campfire with a beautifully set camp table with linens and crystal. There was our wonderful chef and his staff who had set up a full kitchen in the bush with a tantalizing assortment of food for the 12 of us! It was an evening I will remember for the rest of my life. If my wife and I are lucky enough to return, will spend more time at Bateleur. Although we enjoyed and admired the other camps in Amboseli and the Serengeti, they couldn't match the experience of Bateleur.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is the best place to enjoy a real african experience. We slept in a tent, but the tent had all the comfort you can imagine. The staff was very professional and passionate about nature. We could have a very close contact with a masai tribe. The animals were always very close. We got struck by Africa there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to andBeyond Bateleur Camp? Share your experiences!