“Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ololaimutia Gate, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00200, Kenya   |
Jamaica
“Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I did a 3 Days/2 nights Masai Mara Safari and i stayed at Rhino Camp. To be quite honest it was not what i was expecting since i was told i would stay in a budget camp.
When we arrived i was a bit shocked as i was expecting to stay in pitched tent but what i found was different.
The camp is actually a permanent camp with large tents which also happen to be self contained with comfortable beds. I could not believe i was having a HOT SHOWER in the wilderness.
I enjoyed the camp fire at night and also the beer after the Game Drives
The 2 nights i spent there was quite wonderful and i will definately make a point of visiting Rhino Camp once again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were looking forward for the long weekend in the Masai Mara during the migration. We have booked the accommodation, I have received a confirmation of writing that all is well. So far, so good - Ken was helpful and everything went smooth. But when it came to confirm the booking, I was waiting to receive the details for making a payment. For couple days, Ken did not communicate and when we called him, our reservation was cancelled and double booked. We had everything in writing and yet the camp double-booked our rooms. They did not offer any other solution. During this period, camp knows they will have enough guests anyway, so they do not need to care about good service, but it is appalling, not serious and simply bad customer care. I will make sure to let our friends and colleagues know that they cannot count on the Rhino camp.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Had a nice couple of nights stay food was ok but the chef made up for it he was very helpful and went out of his way to please a difficult customer. My grandaughter loved the monkeys and masaii village. I will be sending some pics to you for the masaii alan leming i think his name was a very nice lad thanks it was all fine for us debby and chantelle.

• Stayed July 2013
Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

After a whole day in a safari car, it's nice to have a cosy place waiting for you. Of course it's not luxurious but it's definitely comfortable and clean, which to me was enough. Also it was good that the rooms had their own bathrooms. The food there was also very good, I wasn't expecting that, way better than in many restaurants in Nairobi. One of the highlights to me was the bonfire. After dinner, almost everyone in the camp got together around it, people form all around the world exchanging experiences, very interesting.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
rhinotouristcamp, General Manager at Rhino Tourist Camp, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our campsite. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and welcome you to visit us again when you have another chance to travel to Kenya.

I am also pleased to mention that as of today we have renovated all our rooms so that both Wing A and B are of the same standard. We now have tiles in all the bathrooms as opposed to in one wing as was the case when you visited. All this is in an effort to make sure that guests staying at our campsite have comfortable and pleasant accommodation to compliment the Safari experience.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

If you are travelling on a limited budget and aren't looking for luxury and pampering while on safari, then it is worthwhile to give the Rhino Camp in Maasai Mara a go. I was there for two nights while on safari and I believe i got value for money. The rooms are clean and I agree with some reviewers here that the staff are rather friendly.
My only concern was that the food menu is rather limited. The food is tasty, yes but there really isn't much to choose from. If they can have a bigger variety, then I am sure travelers would't mind spending a little extra.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The highlight of my safari was my trip to the maasai mara park and i am very happy with my experience. I came face to face with what i only used to see on national geographic. I saw the famed BIG FIVE and at very close range too!
I stayed at the rhino tourist camp for 2 nights. The camp has a rather warm and somewhat cosy atmosphere and I think this is partly because of the layout of the camp. For a low season, it was surprisingly well occupied. I counted 37 people on the first night at the dining area.
My tent was quite neat with clean bed sheets and a clean tiled bathroom. There is hot water in the evenings and early morning. Power is by generator and this is on only for a few hours 6-10p.m. in the evening and 6-8 in the morning. The food was not fancy and not very varied but it was very tasty. The staff there are also quite friendly which is what i enjoyed the most.
I highly recommend this camp to trip advisor readers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Located three minutes from the park.
Clean, tidy: two rows of tents, common dining room - on sale water, beer.
In the tent two beds with mosquito nets, shower, toilet, sink, socket.
Electricity in the morning for two hours and three hours in the evening - we had a triple adapter, all the time to charge.
Once closed the only vertical zipper on the tent, and the bottom two forgot to close - monkey got into the tent and turned everything upside down.
Breakfast and dinner - buffet, everything is quite simple but tasty and nutritious (stewed vegetables and meats, sausages, pasta, baked potatoes, fruit).
Near the dining room is a tent, where you can get a massage.
A good camp for a budget accommodation in Masai Mara!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rhino Tourist Camp? Share your experiences!