“Very warm and friendly atmosphere here” 4 of 5 stars

You added Rhino Tourist Camp to your Saves list
Rhino Tourist Camp
Ololaimutia Gate, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00200, Kenya   |
Dublin, Ireland
“Very warm and friendly atmosphere here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The highlight of my safari was my trip to the maasai mara park and i am very happy with my experience. I came face to face with what i only used to see on national geographic. I saw the famed BIG FIVE and at very close range too!
I stayed at the rhino tourist camp for 2 nights. The camp has a rather warm and somewhat cosy atmosphere and I think this is partly because of the layout of the camp. For a low season, it was surprisingly well occupied. I counted 37 people on the first night at the dining area.
My tent was quite neat with clean bed sheets and a clean tiled bathroom. There is hot water in the evenings and early morning. Power is by generator and this is on only for a few hours 6-10p.m. in the evening and 6-8 in the morning. The food was not fancy and not very varied but it was very tasty. The staff there are also quite friendly which is what i enjoyed the most.
I highly recommend this camp to trip advisor readers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Located three minutes from the park.
Clean, tidy: two rows of tents, common dining room - on sale water, beer.
In the tent two beds with mosquito nets, shower, toilet, sink, socket.
Electricity in the morning for two hours and three hours in the evening - we had a triple adapter, all the time to charge.
Once closed the only vertical zipper on the tent, and the bottom two forgot to close - monkey got into the tent and turned everything upside down.
Breakfast and dinner - buffet, everything is quite simple but tasty and nutritious (stewed vegetables and meats, sausages, pasta, baked potatoes, fruit).
Near the dining room is a tent, where you can get a massage.
A good camp for a budget accommodation in Masai Mara!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

If you want to go to kenya in a safari and sleep in a luxury bed, stay home cause the nice atmosfere is have adventure and enjoy the simple things of life :D
The tends are basic, however clean. Bathroom inside with hot water. Very simple one, but clean.
Lights and energy are not on whole day. There are specific times to use the eletricity.
breakfast is good, lunch and dinner amazing kenyan food.
beer is hot, I mean natural temperature, but I am brazilian and we only drink iced beer... was terrible.
Check the weather cause was a bit cold at night in June, bring jackets.
Is inside of jungle, so you have to be ready agaist moskitos. There is nets on the beds.
I didn't see any weird or disgusting animal at the camp, thanks god.. Just birds and few lezards out side my tent.
Is close to Massai Mara tribe, so they will take you to meet the comunity. Very poor btw...
Good to put your mind in place and see the reality of others.
I spent 2 nights over there and it was one of the best experience in my life.
staffs are nice with big smile all the time.
My bathroom was very simple but I saw some pics now and I think they put some tile now... is better check.
I made so many friends there... was so amazing... :D
Go for it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We were with ny husband in Camp. Wonderfull place!!! Realy!! Kindly personal, very close with park, not noisy. We would like to return in Rhino on other year with our friends. Very good meal and cooks!!! Ive never see a lot of stars like here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

If you're looking for affordable accommodation, this is it. The tents will adequately meet your basic human necessities - s***, sleep, and shower. The other reviews are correct in that this camp is by no means luxurious - in fact the extreme opposite (peeling paint etc). If you're looking up reviews for this camp, clearly you're budget-conscious and only need a place to sleep and recharge yourself and various gizmos between game drives. In that case I would recommend staying here. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

The camp is conveniently located a short drive from the entrance to the reserve, the food is decent, and the staff is helpful. The bar is stocked better than you would expect for this very very basic camp but beers are lukewarm at best (electricity is on for limited times during the day). Hot water was always available during my stay.

The "Masai village" nearby is worth a visit even though I'm not convinced that the community is as traditional as they would have you believe. On the flip side, I only had a short trip so I wouldn't have another opportunity to see a "real live authentic Masai village!" so I guess I got what I paid for while supporting the community.

While at camp, listen out for the Masai guards communicating across camps. A bit disconcerting at 12:00AM but kinda cool at the same time.

Room Tip: Can't say there are any "good" rooms but you're here to see animals
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Mukua, General Manager at Rhino Tourist Camp, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
We sincerely appreciate your feedback as it is a review as frank as yours that enables us to improve our services and amenities.

Based on your feedback and for purposes, kindly allow me to elaborate more on our camp set up. Up until August of 2012, our camp had a total of 22 rooms which are built on one side of our camp. This is what we refer to as Wing A of the camp. We completed the construction of our second wing, Wing B, in September 2012. This wing is to the left and end of our camp grounds and it has a total of 17 rooms. These rooms are significantly different from those of Wing A as the rooms(both the tented rooms and the stone walled ones) have tiled floors and bigger white beds to give the room a soft feel. The painting in the rooms has been done with earth tone colors to further enhance the safari experience. The rooms in Wing B are especially popular with couples and families .

Being well aware of the need to redo the rooms in Wing A, we have made a number of upgrades, key among them being the repainting of the entire Wing (work will be complete by December 17, 2012) and I can assure you that the paintwork done is of the highest standards. We are happy to say that the issue of peeling paint is completely a thing of the past.

We are working constantly on improving the camp and are sincerely grateful for the feedback we get from our clients.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Rhino Tourist Camp and had a solid stone clean room with attached bathroom with power points to recharge the camera (tented rooms are available we were given a choice). Within an hour we were in the safari vehicle with pop up top where you can stand to view and photograph the wildlife which was abundant in fact we could not believe how many varied animals we saw, it was National Geographic plus and we were part of it at times you are barely metres away from action. The first evening in their dining room back at the Rhino Tourist Camp the food was so tasty and plentiful the jolly Chef urging us to have seconds all the meals were like that including the picnic lunch you have on the 2nd day by the Mara River watching crocodiles and a herd of hippopotamus. We saw leopard & cheetah kills, sun basking lions, birds so many herds of buffalo, wildebeest, elephant, giraffe and a dozens of other animals, beautiful birds and lizards it was truly awesome our driver and guide Leonard was funny, informative and a terrific driver we always felt safe,The Rhino Tourist Camp excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Less mosquitoes in the solid stone rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I just got back from a Safari trip from Kenya and I must admit that I had quite the experience. My trip took me to Masai Mara where I stayed at the Rhino Tourist Camp, the Aberdares where I stayed at the Treetops, Amboseli where I stayed at the Sopa Lodge and finally to Mombasa where I put up at the White Sands Hotel.
To be quite honest, from what I had seen on the internet, I was quite happy with all my choice of hotels except for Rhino Tourist Camp. This was based on the reviews that I had seen which though not all bad, made we wonder if I'd made the right decision. As I couldn't cancel the reservation, I went to Masai Mara with my fingers crossed.
What I found at this Rhino Tourist Camp was, to say the least, beyond my expectations! Granted, the dining could do with a bit of sprucing up but the camp overall was simply fantastic! I put up in a tented room and the bed was well made with clean white sheets (didn't expect white sheets in a camp in Masai Mara), slippers and towels and an extra ordinarily clean bathroom and toilet!! The shower also had hot water as well. Electricity is on from 6-8 in the morning and again from 6-10 in the evening.
The camp is set up among trees giving it a real cool feeling. A number of monkeys are within the camp although they are kept at bay by the friendly Masai guards that give a good sense of security! :-)
The food is not anything fancy but is quite tasty and hot. I noticed also that our picnic lunch was somewhat better than that of other tourists as we ate by the river.
The staff I met there were the warmest and friendliest people that I met in Kenya.
Given what I paid for my Masai Mara trip (I picked the camp over the other fancy lodges because the difference in price was quite ridiculous), I would most sincerely recommend this camp. I haven't had such value for my Canadian dollars in quite a while!

Room Tip: Ask for the new rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Kairitours, General Manager at Rhino Tourist Camp, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
We sincerely appreciate your feedback and thank you for picking to stay with us during your visit to Masai Mara. We are, especially, pleased to read that you enjoyed our new rooms. We are in the process of upgrading the older units so that we can have all the rooms at similar standard. Thank you, once again, for your feedback.

Been to Rhino Tourist Camp? Share your experiences!