“Budget, Basic but Bearable” 3 of 5 stars

You added Rhino Tourist Camp to your Saves list
Rhino Tourist Camp
Ololaimutia Gate, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00200, Kenya   |
Jamaica
“Budget, Basic but Bearable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

If you're looking for affordable accommodation, this is it. The tents will adequately meet your basic human necessities - s***, sleep, and shower. The other reviews are correct in that this camp is by no means luxurious - in fact the extreme opposite (peeling paint etc). If you're looking up reviews for this camp, clearly you're budget-conscious and only need a place to sleep and recharge yourself and various gizmos between game drives. In that case I would recommend staying here. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

The camp is conveniently located a short drive from the entrance to the reserve, the food is decent, and the staff is helpful. The bar is stocked better than you would expect for this very very basic camp but beers are lukewarm at best (electricity is on for limited times during the day). Hot water was always available during my stay.

The "Masai village" nearby is worth a visit even though I'm not convinced that the community is as traditional as they would have you believe. On the flip side, I only had a short trip so I wouldn't have another opportunity to see a "real live authentic Masai village!" so I guess I got what I paid for while supporting the community.

While at camp, listen out for the Masai guards communicating across camps. A bit disconcerting at 12:00AM but kinda cool at the same time.

Room Tip: Can't say there are any "good" rooms but you're here to see animals
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Mukua, General Manager at Rhino Tourist Camp, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
We sincerely appreciate your feedback as it is a review as frank as yours that enables us to improve our services and amenities.

Based on your feedback and for purposes, kindly allow me to elaborate more on our camp set up. Up until August of 2012, our camp had a total of 22 rooms which are built on one side of our camp. This is what we refer to as Wing A of the camp. We completed the construction of our second wing, Wing B, in September 2012. This wing is to the left and end of our camp grounds and it has a total of 17 rooms. These rooms are significantly different from those of Wing A as the rooms(both the tented rooms and the stone walled ones) have tiled floors and bigger white beds to give the room a soft feel. The painting in the rooms has been done with earth tone colors to further enhance the safari experience. The rooms in Wing B are especially popular with couples and families .

Being well aware of the need to redo the rooms in Wing A, we have made a number of upgrades, key among them being the repainting of the entire Wing (work will be complete by December 17, 2012) and I can assure you that the paintwork done is of the highest standards. We are happy to say that the issue of peeling paint is completely a thing of the past.

We are working constantly on improving the camp and are sincerely grateful for the feedback we get from our clients.

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Rhino Tourist Camp and had a solid stone clean room with attached bathroom with power points to recharge the camera (tented rooms are available we were given a choice). Within an hour we were in the safari vehicle with pop up top where you can stand to view and photograph the wildlife which was abundant in fact we could not believe how many varied animals we saw, it was National Geographic plus and we were part of it at times you are barely metres away from action. The first evening in their dining room back at the Rhino Tourist Camp the food was so tasty and plentiful the jolly Chef urging us to have seconds all the meals were like that including the picnic lunch you have on the 2nd day by the Mara River watching crocodiles and a herd of hippopotamus. We saw leopard & cheetah kills, sun basking lions, birds so many herds of buffalo, wildebeest, elephant, giraffe and a dozens of other animals, beautiful birds and lizards it was truly awesome our driver and guide Leonard was funny, informative and a terrific driver we always felt safe,The Rhino Tourist Camp excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Less mosquitoes in the solid stone rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I just got back from a Safari trip from Kenya and I must admit that I had quite the experience. My trip took me to Masai Mara where I stayed at the Rhino Tourist Camp, the Aberdares where I stayed at the Treetops, Amboseli where I stayed at the Sopa Lodge and finally to Mombasa where I put up at the White Sands Hotel.
To be quite honest, from what I had seen on the internet, I was quite happy with all my choice of hotels except for Rhino Tourist Camp. This was based on the reviews that I had seen which though not all bad, made we wonder if I'd made the right decision. As I couldn't cancel the reservation, I went to Masai Mara with my fingers crossed.
What I found at this Rhino Tourist Camp was, to say the least, beyond my expectations! Granted, the dining could do with a bit of sprucing up but the camp overall was simply fantastic! I put up in a tented room and the bed was well made with clean white sheets (didn't expect white sheets in a camp in Masai Mara), slippers and towels and an extra ordinarily clean bathroom and toilet!! The shower also had hot water as well. Electricity is on from 6-8 in the morning and again from 6-10 in the evening.
The camp is set up among trees giving it a real cool feeling. A number of monkeys are within the camp although they are kept at bay by the friendly Masai guards that give a good sense of security! :-)
The food is not anything fancy but is quite tasty and hot. I noticed also that our picnic lunch was somewhat better than that of other tourists as we ate by the river.
The staff I met there were the warmest and friendliest people that I met in Kenya.
Given what I paid for my Masai Mara trip (I picked the camp over the other fancy lodges because the difference in price was quite ridiculous), I would most sincerely recommend this camp. I haven't had such value for my Canadian dollars in quite a while!

Room Tip: Ask for the new rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Kairitours, General Manager at Rhino Tourist Camp, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
We sincerely appreciate your feedback and thank you for picking to stay with us during your visit to Masai Mara. We are, especially, pleased to read that you enjoyed our new rooms. We are in the process of upgrading the older units so that we can have all the rooms at similar standard. Thank you, once again, for your feedback.
Swakopmund, Namibia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here for two nights while visiting Masaai Mara and it was worth it - not only Maasai Mara but also the Camp. Basic but clean and very friendly staff. The tent was clean, the beds comfortable and the shower hot. I would chose this one any time again for good value for money.

Room Tip: If you booked the trip for one person, but joined a group in the bus, insist on your own room/tent...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
It is always a pleasure to read that a guest enjoyed their stay at our campsite. It is an even greater pleasure to read that you feel the service provided was worth its value. From the staff at the campsite and all of us, thank you for staying with us and Karibu Tena.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Being a budget camp, I was expecting an average stay. When we first checked in the room, we realised we got the concrete room n not the tented one, but we stuck to it since the others were saying the tent was a little hot inside. It had the basic bed, CLEAN SHEETS, mosquito net and toilet and showers.

The camp itself was very enviro-friendly, but what made our stay the one to remember were the hospitality of the staffs, the chef prepared lovely meals for us and also joined in our conversation. Caroline was such a darling as well, and the Masai guards having talks with us and sharing their stories, really made a difference to our stay and I would definitely return if I ever do. The price included EVERYTHING! Kairi Tours, who operates this camp even provided us with 2 5 litres of bottled water, which we were VERY thankful for!

All in all, our Kenya trip was memorable because of the hospitality we received. Sometimes, it's the little things that makes a BIG difference!

Erin

• Stayed September 2012
Kairitours, General Manager at Rhino Tourist Camp, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words and for sharing photos of the period of your stay. We hope that you will have the opportunity to visit again and look forward to hosting you.
Mombasa, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

i was in masai mara for the first time and since i didnt want to spend alot of money in lodges i decided to chose rhino tourist camp, i had wonderful moments with my guests, the food was good, the staff very coperative, not forgeting jackson who is in charge of the management, he knows his job very well,the camp is 5 minutes to the gate of the masai mara at night you can even hear the lions roaring and the hyena laughing. its was a great moment well spent in rhino camp.... keep it up

Room Tip: remeber to slleep in the tents they are more adventrous
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I booked to stay on the weekend of 24-26 August only to find they'd overbooked and didn't even have the courtesy of telling us. We found that out when our tour driver drove us to a neighbouring camp and told us to diembark!
It would have been for the Rhino staff to meet us and apologise for the error then offer us that option.
On the second day we finally got to stay at Rhino but that was because our tour leader made a big fuss.
Other than that, I loved the tents and the camp experience-that was worth waiting for.
The food is a bit flat though generous.
Out of it all, I just wish the staff were a bit customer friendly and communicative with their guests.
I found that quite unforgiveable and am afraid I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mukua, General Manager at Rhino Tourist Camp, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
We sincerely apologize for the failure to communicate the accommodation situation at the campsite beforehand and, more so, that a member of our team did not personally approach you to communicate this to you.

I assure you that we take customer service very seriously and I have shared your sentiments with the staff so that this should never happen again. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Been to Rhino Tourist Camp? Share your experiences!