“AMAZING!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Exploreans Mara Rianta Camp

You added Exploreans Mara Rianta Camp to your Saves list
Exploreans Mara Rianta Camp
4.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Cismara Koiyaki Dagurugurueiti | P.O Box 741 - Narok, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Bali, Indonesia
“AMAZING!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We arrived at the local airstrip to be greeted by our guide David, on the way to the camp we had our own mini Safari. Upon arrival we were greeted by all of the staff an escorted to our amazing room, the mix of being in the middle of the Masai Mara by the side of a river coupled with surrounding of 5 star luxury was fabulous. All locations of the rooms have a great view to the river where you can see hippos , crocodiles, monkeys, and many other animals go about their daily business. The fixtures and fitting throughout were of the highest standard. Food was impeccable and absolutely 5 star, the selection was excellent, service was fantastic. Our safari drives guided by the amazing, knowledgeable and entertaining David, were an absolute treat. No 2 days were the same, his knowledge of the land and the animals made for a captivating experience. We went to Tsavo after Masai and wish we had just stayed on as in Tsavo, like many other parks you must stay on the tracks, with Mara Rianta you can go off road and get closer to the animals. I loved my stay so much I'm going back in August for the migration of the Wildebeest. I cannot recommend this place highly enough, if you are coming to Kenya it is worth paying the extra dollars to stay here as it is an overall experience you will not forget nor regret. I stayed at 3 other lodges all of which paled in comparison. I was the mix of location, great guides, excellent amenities and quality of lodgings, amazing food and faultless service that leaves this place being one of my top places in the world to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Swansea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Went to Mara Rianta as a couple in October 2012 due to a mix up with our original safari booking. We didn't really know what to expect.
We had a brilliant experience and our Safari guide David made our trip.David had done some of his training in Chester Zoo specialising in Black Rhino conservation
When we told him that we had hoped to see the Mara River crossing (Exploreans is in the North Mara) he advised us that we could arrange a day Safari starting after an early breakfast rather than two game drives morning and evening. .
He was very well informed and on realising we were interested in more just than the Big Five he went our of his way to stop and show us any bird or animal that was a little out of the ordinary.
In all we did an evening Safari, the whole day in the Mara and a final morning Safari.
During the day Safari David spotted a Black Rhino toilet area and made a point of showing us the droppings and explaining how they were identified.
He spoke to a number of other tour guides about where various animals were located.

Just after a three course 'picnic' lunch another tour guide came haring up in a jeep to inform him that a Black Rhino was nearby. A short swift journey followed and we had the privilege of seeing the animal close up.

Apart from the attention to detail he gave us about all the other wildlife this was the highpoint of our Safari closely followed by a passing herd of Wildebeest, one of the last to make the Autumn crossing back to Tanzania.

The facilities in the camp itself were superb. The food was of a high standard and beautifully presented. The wine selection was excellent and nothing was to much trouble for the restaurant staff who were welcoming, talkative and friendly.

The tents were superb and taking early morning coffee and cakes to the sound of the Hippo's on the opposite bank of the river is a memory that will live with me for a long time.

On our last morning we saw one of the most superb sunrises I have ever experienced and I managed to get a picture which I’ve had put on canvas and hangs on our living room wall.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I spent three days two nights on safaris staying at the Mara Rianta camp. All we can say is it was awesome. The safari with our guide Daniel was outstanding, seeing many animals on every game drive. Returning each night to a very warm welcome at the camp and a five star meal. The accommodation was excellent , we even had a hot water bottle placed in the bed in case we were cold. We can't praise this safari and camp highly enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Fantastic place with top-notch service, led by a wonderful Swiss manager - no request was too much for either the bar-tender, the kitchen or the poolside staff. There were always at least three warm people at your beck and call (and there is even a butler call button in your room). We loved the game drives -- the guides (Jackson and Sopia) were suburb Masai hosts and led us from a group of 30 elephants to 20 giraffes to 20 crocodiles. We watched the local pride of 14 lions fight over a zebra they had killed and we watched three cheetahs hunt in one morning. It was almost too exciting; we returned poolside for drinks and a massage in the spa after the emotional mornings in the conservancy. The tents were gorgeous and spacious with open aired showers looking at the Mara river where families of hippos provided entertainment day and night. We've been on safari before but this new lodge (only opened in 2010) certainly lived up to its title of a small luxury hotel of the world. We did not want to leave and we can't wait to go back.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband & I took a trip to Kenya between Christmas & New Year. We decided to spend 3 days in Masai Mara & then the remaining days on the coast (Diani Beach).

From the moment we landed at the National Reserve, we were greeted by our ranger Daniel who drove us back to the camp. The beauty of this set up is that we got to drive through the conservancy/game drive itself to get to the camp so we got a sneak preview of what we could possibly see on our trip! More about Daniel below, he is truly a gem!

The Mara Rianta Camp itself is unbelievably beautiful. We were greeted by Mary, the Camp Manager, who you can tell clearly loves her job & takes great pride in making sure the guests are enjoying themselves. We got a tour of the facility, all the beautiful amenities (the spa, shop, dining, etc.). The common areas are so beautifully decorated, you just feel relaxed the moment you walk in (& are greeted by a lovely glass of fresh juice & a fresh/warm washcloth to freshen up). Walking from the common area to the rooms is also a lovely experience as it is a long trail & a Masai man will guide you with a lamp if it is dark. The spa at Mara Rianta was wonderful as well. We did a couples massage & then also relaxed in the hydrotherapy spa after.

The dining venue of the Mara Rianta is wonderful as well. You are given a specific server for the entire trip which also makes for a meaningful experience as they really get to know you & the hospitality we received from Moses, is like none other. As an example, one day during breakfast (an extensive, tasty menu) I ordered my food but then just mentioned to my husband that I should have added hash browns to my order as he had. I do not know how Moses did it, as he was not around when I said this, but when Moses came with my food, he said "I wanted to surprise you with hash browns as I think you would want them as well". Every meal we had during our stay was delicious & the service impeccable. Lunches were served outdoors overlooking the river, there was always some sort of hippo action going on while we ate! Breakfast & Dinners were served indoors, with a beautiful view of the river as well.

The safari luxury tents at Mara Rianta are also like none other. They have incredibly high ceilings, spacious bedrooms, beautiful bathrooms (the size of a small apartment in NYC in fact!) with showers overlooking the outdoor nature & a beautiful claw tub. The attention to detail also stuck with me, from the port carafe left for us our first day, to the Christmas cookies & the various turn down treats. The camp thought of every little thing, from bug spray to sunblock to daily laundry service. My favorite part was the hot water bottles that are in the bed at turn down. It made the bed so lovely & warm after a long day of game drives!

As for our game drives, I think we were incredibly lucky! We saw the Big Five in the first day & a half of our stay! The safari vehicles are fantastic, great quality, clean, & rugged enough to go on adventures! They are fully stocked with drinks, blankets in case it gets cold, & binoculars. In addition, we were lucky enough to follow a Mama Cheetah & her two adorable babies on a hunt for animals. Daniel, our ranger, has an amazing eye for finding the animals & tracking them from start to finish. His night vision is crazy! He took us to a leopard who was up in a tree finishing off his kill, with hyenas scavenging under the tree. This is a sight I will never forget. We saw so many lions, including the Granddaddy all lions & so many prides of lions in action! In addition to the Big Five, we saw zebras, gazelles, wart hogs, giraffes, beautiful birds, hyenas, hippos, etc. Daniel himself is ridiculously knowledgeable about the animals, their behaviors, & I would even go far as to say that he even predicts what the animals will do & drove us accordingly so we always had front row seats to all the action! We spent three days with Daniel, whether it be day drives, evening drives, rhino sanctuary, sunset drinks in the middle of the conservancy, & he made our trip so beautiful & wonderful that I don't feel words can even describe how talented he is.

In all, we could not have asked for a more amazing or lovely trip. All of the staff at Mara Rianta were friendly & welcoming & the energy there was just wonderful. I was actually a bit overwhelmed & sad when I had to say goodbye to everyone as this was one experience that we will never forget. I highly recommend this beautiful luxury tented safari camp. The warm memories of the people & the camp will stay with me forever.

Room Tip: We stayed in #18, Impala! The room was just perfect & our balcony overlooked the beautiful river...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Managua, Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The staff is constantly making sure you are enjoying your stay. At the slightest sign of possible discomfort, you are instantly offered something and comforted. Never in my life have I met such genuinely nice and helpful people than those that work at the Mara Rianta Camp. Most of the are Massai but speak perfect English and love to talk about their culture. They are a proud people and enjoy explaining their idiosyncrasies.

Everything is almost inexplicably perfect (the explanation is SWISS MANAGEMENT). The general manager Marie Chantal keeps everything working in perfect harmony without breaking a sweat, and is always relaxed and glad to see you. The guides are very informed and very, very nice.

The entire location is enchanting and you will see great wildlife. I would recommend this place to anyone. Also, great price for what you get. Upon leaving I felt guilty, we wanted to pay more!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Exploreans Mara Rianta Camp with my family in late November/early December. Everything about it was fantastic, best hotel/accomodation experience I've ever hard – by far.

The Swiss manager, Marie Chantal, has kept everything running flawlessly. The service was beyond good. Whatever we needed, it was provided to us.

The rooms were amazing, with spectacular views of a hippo-inhabited river and gorgeous natural surroundings. The staff is super staff. The food wasn't top notch (nothing in Kenya was!) but it was very good. Must be hard to get good ingredients to the middle of a savanna.

I'd recommend this camp to anyone. Fantastic experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Exploreans Mara Rianta Camp? Share your experiences!