“Amazing experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Olare Orok, Maasai Mara National Reserve 61394 - 00200, Kenya   |
Leeds
“Amazing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Having read the comments from other visitors there isn't anything new I can add but agree wholeheartedly with their sentiments. This lodge is outstanding. Not only is the accommodation unique but the warmth shown by Ashif and the team was greatly appreciated. Whilst we were there we hit pay day and I needed access to the Internet. Ashif drove me to his "office" on the borderline with the park so I could do my banking. The lack of Internet access was a true bonus as my youngest daughter finally read a book rather than staying connected! We will be going back.

Room Tip: They matched us up perfectly when we got there
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

SECOND time to visit Amani Mara since we luckily discovered it, and this trip exceeded even the exceptionally high standards we experienced the first time. First-class game viewing (including from the lodge itself, and from the rooms themselves too), first-class hospitality, innovative and eco-friendly (and very spacious and comfortable) accommodation and architecture, stunning location, attentive staff, knowledgeable and flexible owner/management, good food, and a wilderness experience which is surely second to none. The lodge has a social and environmental conscience and its offering is for the avid wildlife watcher/photographer or the beginner alike. Families are very welcome and very comfortable. The resident hippo pool is easy to see and to walk to, within minutes you are in the heart of the Mara animals' greatest concentrations, and the GREAT MIGRATION we experienced with Simon the game driver/guide/tracker was simply awe-inspiring. Our family of two adults, one 11-year old girl, and one 4-year old boy, all LOVE THIS PLACE and the people who run it.

Room Tip: I believe all huts are equally spectacular.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wooster, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

If one takes the time to read the other reviews you will soon realize that Amani Mara Lodge is indeed very unique and indeed a special place far ahead of it's time. Those of us who have enjoyed the pleasure of having time with Ashif Suleman one quickly questions why all lodges aren't doing what is going on here.
Ashif is indeed a very wise business man but more importantly a conservationist of the highest degree. His compassion starts with hiring the local workers and continues on with the ecologically friendly building materials and to what has happened with his "river" project.
I was amazed to the personal attention he gave our group which is a testament as to the love he has for the animals and the devotion he has to his lodge and workers.
Our visit was in July of 2013 - I can't wait to return again !
And all the guests plant a tree.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent !
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is my 6th time to visit the Mara, and the 5th time I have stayed in the Mara. Not because there are no choices to stay at the Mara, but can't make myself go to any other property...have tried, have even got better and attractive deals.....let alone that, having so much difficulty even to go other properties in other parks
There being only one reason, once you have been to Amani Mara you get spoilt rotten, the personalization, the room is prepared how I would like, the meals are hot steaming from the kitchen straight to the table, and the courses are s filling and tempting that it is so hard to say no to any course. The staff are so loving and pleasant......they go out of the way to make you so comfortable and you also feel that your privacy is respected.
The views of the Mara, located right next to the river, located in wilderness, you are home away from home in the midst of beautiful and exotic wilderness, at night you are graced with the occasional roars of the lions......you wake up in the morning to the site of zebras, wilderbeasts, grazing in the lawn.....then there are the hippo snorts ........it is sheer paradise
Amani Mara calls it self the jewel of Mara....I disagree. It is the rarest diamond in the Mara.
Highly recommend all whether you go with family, friends and even honeymooners..it is the place to be!!!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms have the private view to the river...........
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Amani Mara was just spectacular. Amazing scenic setting with a view of the river and hippo pool. All natural environment with no fences providing an adventure and experience in the Mara that can not be forgotten. The owner is an environmentalist with the mindset and ambition to preserve the natural beauty of the Mara without affecting the animals habitat. The rooms were just superb - clean, huge, amazing hot water and superb views from the rooms itself. The service and food was extraordinary. The game drives were excellent with very experienced and knowledgeable guides.
The best place in the Mara!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I spent two nights at Amani Mara in Octobre 2012 – unfortunately only two nights.
The lodge is incredible. It is situated in the Masai Mara but „off the beaten track“ in a peaceful conservation area and was built with remarkable attention to detail and blends in perfectly with the environment. The owners, Ashif and Shelina, personally take very good care of their guests and the vastness of their knowledge is impressive. All their employees are Masai and nobody knows the land better than them. The rooms are made of stone and canvass. All the rooms have balconies, which you can access through an open canvass flap. In the night, you may leave this flap open and listen to the sounds of the surrounding wildlife. I have never had a holiday experience quite like this before; it was simply perfect!
My friend and I were constantly amazed. One of the highlights of our stay was an evening walk with two Masai, Joseph and Johnmark. We walked towards the sunset, where – surprisingly - Ashif was waiting for us. A table and two chairs had been set up and as we sat down we were each given a glass of a fruity homemade cocktail and delicious Indian snacks while watching the sun set over the Mara. At this point I must add that this snack – just like every meal we had – was prepared by Shelina and every bite was a culinary sensation!
Unfortunately, the time at the lodge flew by and I was very sad when we had to leave to continue our Safari.

I can highly recommend staying at Amani Mara. It will exceed your every expectation!

Room Tip: I stayed in room no.9 which has an incredible view from the balcony. In the mornings, you should tak...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

There are soo many words to describe this place yet non feels worthy enough, My three nights stay at this gorgreous lodge was awesome, very relaxing, great views of wildlife, nature etc,
The food servings were big I had to negotiate my amount [yes shelina I had to write this haha!]

The rooms were huge beds comfy and I admired the architecture of the place, very unique, environmental friendly etc, I have lots of things to say about Amani mara lots of memorable things especially the personalized service Ashif and Shelina you the best. Thumbs up.!
Looking forward the spa opening.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Amani Mara Lodge? Share your experiences!