“Encounter Mara - perfection!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Encounter Mara

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Encounter Mara
Save Saved
You added Encounter Mara to your Saves list
Mara Naboisho Conservancy | P.O. Box 541 Limuru, Kenya 00217, Maasai Mara National Reserve 20500, Kenya   |
Renfrew, Canada
“Encounter Mara - perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I will give Encounter Mara TEN stars! Definitely a First Class adventure. Moses, Sammy, Dickson,we love you and appreciate each one of you. We felt so welcome. The arrangements, the accommodation, picnic, marvelous meals in the dining tent, safari drives, information on the habits of the animals - all far above our expectations. Even my personal vegetarian/vegan meals were accommodated and absolutely wonderful. No corners were cut anywhere - the beds were amazingly comfortable. I wanted to bring my bed home! Everything looked really nice in the tent. The towels & soaps, even the toilet paper (with the added touch of the little leaf), the vanities, the trunk for storage, everything - everything just beautiful and there was not a mosquito in sight. Getting to know the people, riding in the LandRover, and seeing the animals in the wild had been a lifelong dream. Although I was only able to spend one night on this first trip to Africa, Encounter Mara was definitely the highlight. Canada is a long way away yet if i do have opportunity I will want to return to stay much longer. As we left Encounter Mara I can still picture the grand farewell from all of you. That too was special. Sincere blessings to all the Staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Renfrew, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was my first time in Africa and after spending two weeks in the city of Nairobi, it was nice for this 'country girl' to get back to open spaces and wildlife! Staying at Encounter Mara was a highlight of our trip. From the moment we arrived and were given one of the best picnic lunches under an acacia tree of delicious wraps with fresh fruit and yoghurt and drinks, then taken to our camp. Our guide was Moses who took time to show us everything; from the tiniest of bugs, to finding the King of the Jungle and his lioness as the large, red African sun set in the evening, and the many, many animals inbetween. Our accomodation was outstanding, with the most comfortable beds we had ever slept on, even a warm hotwater bottle was tucked into our beds while we went out for a night safari. In the evening its cooler, and colourful Maasai blankets were folded neatly on the seats of our Land Rover. They didn't miss a single detail. The food was also first class and presented beautifully. There was such flavour and arranged like a work of art on our plates. You will not want to leave when you go!! Moses, Dickson, Sammy, we miss you and hope to return again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Petawawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

If you love animals, this will totally catch you off guard when you get ready to leave. I unfortunately was only able to do a one night stay and at departure I choked up and tears welled in my eyes. These people are amazing. They have good hearts! The connection with them and the animals was truly a spiritual moment for me. The people here felt like family!

Room Tip: Just do your research before booking.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Encounter Mara was fantabulous. Staff were so unobtrusive and service was excellent.Wonderful experience. The spotters and drivers were fantastic. Able to take us to see as many animals as possible. The luxury tents are just that. huge comfortable beds looking out onto the bush. We loved the Masai that we met. Such polite and friendly people ready to assist and make ones stay memorable forever.

Room Tip: They are all great. Seperate and private. you feel you are the only couple for milesaround
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Encounter Mara was an outstanding experience and ranks among my top travel experiences. I echo a previous comment that essentially stated "I splurged thinking it was a once in a lifetime trip and now want to plan my return." The guides are Masai who grew up in or near the conservancy, and their intimate knowledge and love of the land is obvious; their quality of guiding starkly contrasted that of tourism workers who are willing to guide in any park for income. There was no question about the animals, plants or stars that the guides couldn't answer - these are bright and well-trained individuals. The conservancy's land management strategies are not only good for the land/animals, but also mean you won't be running into other tourists very frequently; you feel like you are alone on the savanna. The quality of service back at the tented camp was outstanding while reflecting conservation values - a tough juggling act that they manage well. We traveled with our 6 year old and it worked just fine; it was hard to wake him up early for some of the AM drives, but I blame that on jetlag. And, once we roused him, he was always excited to go out for another drive. The guides were sweet with him. And, the number and variety of animals it made following safaris a bit disappointing (so consider scheduling Encounter Mara at the end of your trip, not the beginning). We also took advantage of a guided walk and a visit to a Masai village, and I am glad we did. Finally, I appreciated that it truly was all-inclusive (except a fee we paid the village, which I was happy to do, especially because that meant they weren't peddling souvenirs), making this not really that much more expensive than other places that mark up drinks or charge extra for walks, transportation, etc. Bottom Line: do what you need to do to spend time at Encounter Mara.

Room Tip: I doubt you can go wrong - each one is isolated and well-appointed.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Encounter Mara hosted me for a photographic trip in The Masai Mara. Their friendliness was exceptional. Even though you are in the wilderness you have every comfort of home and get to see some incredible game.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

It's hard to imagine how Encounter Mara could be improved - they took care of all the details, from pick-ups and flight transfers out to the Mara, first-rate accommodation and exciting food, knowledgeable and helpful guides, and an exclusive feel to the game drives. We took the balloon ride, the perfect way to add a new dimension to the experience. The people, landscapes and nature that I witnessed during my stay with Encounter Mara are etched in memories that I shall never forget. Thank you to everyone who made our stay so special.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Encounter Mara? Share your experiences!