“The perfect first experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Naboisho Camp, Asilia Africa

Save Saved
You added Naboisho Camp, Asilia Africa to your Saves list
Naboisho Camp, Asilia Africa
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Mara Naboisho Conservancy, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Offers & Announcements
45% off | $500 pppn
Doha, Qatar
“The perfect first experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Our first trip to Kenya and our first safari were truly highlighted by our stay at Naboisho Camp. The relief manager, Mariana and all of the warm and friendly staff there made us feel special and truly welcome. The game that we were able to see - starting at the landing strip - were exactly as one would anticipate for a first time visit. Even though the rain dispersed the animals - our guide Wilson and tracker, Christine (one of the few Maasai women in the business) were able to give us wonderful viewings of many species. The food which we were delighted to partake of was fresh, extremely tasty and also a super variety to chose from. Any specific culinary requests, ie; vegetarian, were not a problem at all. It was quite a thrill to hear the lion and elephant close to camp or in camp at night. The security escorted us at night so we were never concerned. The tents were lovely, immaculate and we loved the outdoor shower.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms(tents) are a little walk so if you are concerned during the rains request one clos...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I can't say enough wonderful things about Naboisho Camp and their staff! The camp is beautiful, the tents are extremely comfortable and nicely decorated. The common areas are also large and comfy and pleasant. The staff is the bomb! Everything we could hope for, especially for our first time visiting a conservancy in this area. The game was plentiful with loads of lions (with cubs), lots of plains game, elephants and cheetahs too! I must give a shout out to the superb chef - what an outstanding job - especially with a couple of picky vegetarians!! I was thrilled at the meals everyday and shocked I actually lost weight. Fresh baked bread everyday, desserts to die for, etc!! I highly recommend a stay at Naboisho and if you can get Ben and Rakita as your guides do so!! I hope to return one day very soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I can highly recommend to stay with Asilia Africa to enjoy Kenya and the Maasai Mara region to its fullest. Here you will find all that an old world safari would bring to you minus the blood on your hands. You can submerge and enjoy nature and the unique culture of the proud Maasai people. The Naboisho camp comsists of only a handful of beautifully appointed tents and a main mess building, which is very cleverly functioning as everything from lounge to tent depending on the weather and on what animal parole the perimeter outside. The guides and staff at the camp will ensure that all tour needs are taken care of, and they can customize your days according to what you would like to see, or how. Here you can drive out and traverse great distances in search of the elusive leopard or to view the prides of lions in play but you can also decide to stalke and walk up to these magnificent creatures with your guides. I took my three children with me here, ages 3, 10 and 12. Many would think it was too much to take small children on a trip like this, but I can assure you that it was safe, and it had given them an advantage to their peers unparraleled to any experience. Our trip equals to a year in school. Naboisho is a luxury camp, and it leaves no detail out. It is incredibly impressive to find such luxury in the dead middle of nowhere. The people are kind, and when it was our time to leave we parted in tears. Never before did this happen to me, although I have truly traveled around the entire globe. All I can say beware: your heart will be stolen and captive for life.

Room Tip: You can not go wrong. Pick a tent depending how brave you are. If you want to sleep with the lions t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I just completed a seventeen day safari experience in Tanzania and Kenya. We stayed in six different camps and Naboisho Camp was a favorite, a perfect blend of hospitality, comfort, adventure and wildlife.

Why did this luxury camp leave such an impression? I’ll do my best.

Imagine hearing lions in the night sky and awaking the next morning to a hot drink and your safari adventure. As you drive out of camp, and within minutes, you are surrounded by Impala, gazelle and the ever present zebra. You drive a little further and see the lions from the night before. For us, this was a pride of eleven -three male, four female and their cubs. This sighting is not completely unique. What is unique is the number of other vehicles sharing this magical moment – just two. That’s your experience here - beautiful sights, sounds and an opportunity for these special sightings in a more intimate setting.

You come back to camp and are greeted by Roeloff and Helen, your most gracious hosts, and offered a cool towel for your hands and a warm breakfast for your tummy. A quiet walk back to your tent and there awaits a hot shower. Although you can shower in room, I’d recommend showering in your outside, private, stone enclosed shower. A perfect morning. Thank goodness we booked this camp for three nights.

My last story for your consideration is a walking safari with Roeloff. Safari by truck is one experience but walking with Roeloff, a smart, thoughtful, passionate guide is something you do not want to miss. This morning as we walked out of camp and into the bush, we arrived at beautiful grassland once again dotted with topi, gazelle, and zebra. To our left, and at a ‘comfortable’ distance, was not one or two but four lioness calmly enjoying the morning sun and clearly visible with the naked eye. Roeloff says ‘let’s get closer’, and our group of three (Roeloff, my wife and I) move slowly and quietly closer for a sighting that lasted well over thirty minutes. Not another person in sight. Just us, a morning sunrise, the sounds of zebra barking in the background and a guide who described the details of these beautiful creatures and the setting we now enjoyed.

We also visited a Masai village one evening before dinner. Beautiful people sharing a little bit of themselves in a relaxed setting and not a staged preformance. Do this as well. The best way to feel the texture of Africa is to get closer to the people here. This visit with our guide Dixon was yet another wonderful opportunity for us and left a lasting impression.

So…… go to the “Mara”. Stay here. Stay three nights so you can immerse yourself in amazing moments, be treated with great kindness, fed sumptuous food, and enjoy a luxurious tent. Naboisho Camp a perfect safari experience.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Just stay three nights - two is not enough.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We just returned from a month long trip to Kenya, Tanzania and Zanzibar. The Naboisho Camp was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. The game viewing was outstanding and private. For breakfast we could watch Zebras, Cape Buffalo and other animals at the watering hole. We went to Tanzania after Naboisho and there were so many vehicles jockeying for the perfect picture we felt sorry for the animals. We travel extensively and the Naboisho Camp matches or exceeds other five star hotels that we have stayed at throughout the world. While we stayed at the camp we thoroughly enjoyed the walking safari with Roelof and the breakfast on the plains but the Naboisho Camp was extra-extraordinary for my Wife’s Birthday. At the time of booking I had advised that it would be her Birthday while we were at the camp. For High Tea the Chef Richard made her a Chocolate Cake and the Maasi guides brought it out singing Happy Birthday. The cake was complete with candles that would just not extinguish and was served to everyone at the camp. For sundowner our guide Benjamin had a “flat tire” on the plains and brought out a basket with Champagne and hors d’oeuvres. When we returned to the Camp a table was set for us by the fire where we enjoyed dinner. I can’t Thank Helen, Roelof, Benjamin, Rakita and Richard enough for making the Day so memorable – it is one that my Wife will not soon forget.
P.S. I got lots of brownie points for making Her Birthday so special.... you outdid me!

Room Tip: All rooms have an excellent view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Very happy that we chose to stay at Naboisho Camp, We really have a wonderful experience. Very friendly and helpful staff, very clean accommodation, good atmosphere, beautiful view, great location, excellent service like 5 stars hotel. It was really beyond my expectation.

I really like the part that this camp really made me feel like I m doing camping, but have a 5 stars hotel experience. There are 9 tents in the camp, we all have the different activities to do during the day depends on what you like to experience while you are in Naboisho. Some chose to go for a walk, some chose to do a game drive in Naibosho,and Maasai National Reserve,some chose to visit a maasai village. And in the evening we have dinner together and sharing all the experiences at the table. It was a great atmosphere at dinner plus they really do have the excellent food serving you like you are in the fine dining restaurants. They also do have a little fire in front of the sitting area you can sit there around the fire and have a drink before dinner starts. I saw also they have surprised the 2 couples to have their own dinner time next to the fire, too. Surprised one lady 's Birthday by providing her a Birthday cake with some drinks ad she cut the cake and handed to everyone. Really this is called 5 stars services. really thoughtful about the customers and want to make the best experience to them. :) Thank you very much to Roelof & Helen. They both are very attentive and helpful. Always make sure our stay went smooths. Plus they both have a very good knowledge of the area and animals. All the guides and staff at the camp are also very nice and helpful. The guides have the excellent knowledge of animals, they know where to find the animals.
After we went to do a game drive in Maasai Mara National Reserve, that made me feel more happier that we chose to stay in Naibosho because there were not too many cars and trucks driving around to see the animals like in maasai Mara. but yes you can see every kind of animals there. Definitely you have to go there at least once. The best part of the game drive that we both have is we have our own guide, no need to be in a group tour in one big truck and driving around all day long to see animals. You can see a lot of animals in Naibosho too but you will feel more natural than in maasai Mara. ( Not too many cars driving around in Naibosho reserve) I highly recommend this camp, i believe you all will have a wonderful and memorable experience like us. :)

Room Tip: no tip. every room is nice equally.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

What can one say after an experience like this? Naboisho camp was simply amazing. From the moment we arrived we felt at home, with Helen and Roelof as welcoming hosts making sure everything was just right. The tents are the most comfortable I have stayed in in East Africa, a perfect mix between luxury (those outside showers are awesome!) and remote bush-feel. Then there's the food. How on earth they cook up those sophisticated creations in the middle of nowhere is a mystery to me, but what a treat it was.

That said, the thing that made it truly outstanding for me was the wildlife and wilderness. Outside the sometimes hectic Masai Mara, Naboisho feels like an undiscovered patch of African savannah. The game drives with Dixon were a highlight in itself, the amount of game and cats is astonishing, but only a prelude for what was the highlight of my wildlife spotting: walking with Roelof. His intimate knowledge of the ecosystem is inspiring and the feeling you get up close and personal to a herd of buffalo or elephants beats any driving I have ever done. Another highlight was our visit to the Masai homestead with Dixon, which was an intimate and authentic experience, showing us the reality of daily life in a demanding environment.

All in all, highly recommended. I wish I could go back tomorrow.

Room Tip: I stayed in tent number 5, peaceful and prime view of the sunrise from your tent
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Naboisho Camp, Asilia Africa? Share your experiences!