As we did, you will be gawping at the review statistics above and thinking wow – is this for real? Yep, this is the real deal.
As a reasonably well-travelled young couple we could not have been more impressed by the experience offered by Enkewa Mara Camp. For having travelled to many countries and stayed at some fantastic hotels, you will note that we have written a shameful two reviews before this one. However, there was no way that we could keep quiet about Enkewa!
Before we arrived in Kenya, Jose and Marta could not have been more helpful in preparing us for our trip. They answered our queries by email and took all the hassle away from booking a nice hotel in Nairobi and return flights to the Mara.
Enkewa genuinely offers a personalised safari – 5 luxury tents in the most peaceful setting, private 4 x 4 with an extremely knowledgeable Maasai guide and two Maasai spotters, a tailored itinerary of game drives and cultural experiences and five star hotel standard food and service. Every aspect of the work of the camp is meticulously planned by Jose and Marta and their Maasai team.
We were lucky to see the beginning of the great migration including two Mara River crossings, which involved a crocodile kill. Aside from that we saw so much on every drive - different animals in different situations. The area of the park used by Enkewa is far away from the crowds (and literally off the beaten track - sometimes to the park rangers' annoyance!) and it is uncommon to meet any other vehicles when moving around the spectacular landscape, except for at the Mara River when you see the fleet of minivans used by other tour companies and realise how lucky you are.
Most memorable experiences of our trip:
- Watching a leopard sleeping in a tree whilst eating a delicious full English breakfast in silence (us, not the leopard).
- Teaching an impromptu maths lesson at the local school, to which Enkewa provides substantial financial support and teachers (and seeing how much Jose cared about the children, showing that the support is totally genuine).
- Anticipating a river crossing of wildebeest and then rushing forward to the edge of the riverbank as the herds started running.
- Visiting a local village at 1am in the morning with Jose and some of the Maasai to watch the Spain vs Brazil Confederations Cup final in a friendly bar called "Dreamland".
- Stopping for a sundowner drink on the Kenya/Tanzania border under a savanna tree looking over to Serengeti.
- Getting up very early in the morning for a drive and realising that fresh hot water bottles had been placed on our seats in the vehicle.
- Playing football with Jose and his team and realising that it is not a myth that Kenyan's are very good at running.
Enkewa Mara Camp is a very special place. We had a wonderful holiday and will be coming back as soon as possible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury accomodation and full ecosustainable Tented Camp. South East .Private concession of 36 hectares in the Southeastern border of Masai Mara National Reserve , close to Serengeti N.P.Arrangement of safaris and travel circuits through Kenya and Tanzania combined with the accommodation in Enkewa Mara Camp. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Enkewa Mara Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve