“Wonderful experience and welcoming staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oltome Resorts

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Oltome Resorts
You added Oltome Resorts to your Saves list
Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
london
“Wonderful experience and welcoming staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I spent 4 nights at the resort and i would summarise my stay as follows:

Great staff, couldnt have done more
Accommodation is superb, very clean and secure, we stopped over on one occasion at the very expensive lodge and I had a chance to see the tents, I realised ours were on par if not better and of course very reasonably priced
Food was excellent and always with a choice of dishes, they had indian family staying at the time and had a few indian dishes on offer
It is a very well run place, where staff go out of their way to help
Area was lit everywhere so I am not sure why anyone would suggest that it isnt, but in any case it certainly wasnt my experience.
I am so scared of snakes I could not handle the thought of them, but once I saw the tents, the area, experienced the way staff look after the place that thought never crossed my mind again. I guess it is not incievable that snakes could be in the area so it is key to go for the place that takes care of the lodge and it is certainly the case with this place.
the driver offered by the resort was excellent.

I did suggest they should put tent numbers so it is easier to find them and staff immediately responded and promised to put those up.

I could not fault this place, it is all I would have wished for from an amazing safari experience. thank you so much for making me so comfortable and for being so welcoming.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Oltomemaramagic, Owner at Oltome Resorts, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your valued comments which were much appreciated.

For your information your suggestion was taken up and the numbering of Tents has been done out of Mazeras Stones and also to let you know that the camp is eco-friendly as it is powered by solar

Also on the same note thank you for the time you took to compare Oltome Mara.

Regards

Zul Hasham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

we stayed at oltome for 2 nights in august,2013. nice clean tents, good food (indian food available), safe, friendly staff & manager.
approx 10 mins drive from sekenani gate, but its almost 2hrs away from the mara river.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oltomemaramagic, Owner at Oltome Resorts, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your input and appreciate it.It is from clients like yourself who keep us on our feet in order to improve our services.

Once again thanks you and best regards

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Ol Tome Mara Magic Resort is managed based on the nature around. In the morning and The evening a Masai person lights the wood fire, half an hour later you can have a warm shower. During the day and the middle of the night, there is no electricity. The resort has only seven tents for visitors and a few for guides and staff.
The employees were very, very friendly, but seems not well trained of had not enough experience. They fulfilled every wish, but were not pro-active to needs and wishes of guests. P.e. the did not prepare the bedrooms in the evening and did not sprayed the tents. Our tour guide found a snake in the bathroom, which should not have been there if the tent. Was sprayed every day.
The dinner was not served on time, during breakfast we waited a long time before we recieved our boiled egg or omelet. No problem with that, but compared tot other lodges we visited, the quality of this one was less.
The manager is a muslim (managed the orphan house), so porc is not served.
The resort is not so big, but we got lost, between our tent and the main building. Some signs are missing, some are brolen and the tents have no numbers. Also a few lights along the paths were broken. Around the tents, we saw also some garbage, like sealing of water bottles. No one seems responsible to clean the place.
The Masai Mara is a perfect place for game drives, but we should prefer to stay in a different accomodation.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Oltomemaramagic, Manager at Oltome Resorts, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Gea S

Thank you for the email and appreciate the points you have brought to our attention.
At the same time I need to clarify a few points.Note Mr fahim is a graduate from Edwin Cowan University -Australia and he has not managed any Orphan Homes as you mention.In addition we have 13 tents in total and not 7.

We have taken note of the the issue of the turn down and need to know why your room was not looked into while all the rest were turned down.This has been followed with the Camp team

Also we have taken note of the late meals and at this juncture we would like to inform you that we had a problem with our water supply as the water pipes were damaged by the elephants and therefore needed replacements.As you are aware that without water we cannot do anything.

In relation to the snake well that may be a fact but these are grass snakes and harmless.You have to remember that you are in the bush and we have not disturbed the environment per se
unlike the other properties and that is the reason our motto is A Bush Experience like no other.

Also to add to the above we have a resident family of Mongoose in the compound which keeps the snake presence to a minimum.

Once again we do apologise for any inconvenience

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I visited Mara in late July for two nights. This place is great. The hosts are very welcoming. The manager Faheem is a nice and interesting guy you gotta talk to. The room was clean and spacious. The only downside was that hot water wasn't reliable, but the hotel crew was quick on fixing it. Frankly, I wasn't expecting reliable hot water in Mara as I would in NYC. They gave me a tiny padlock and told me to lock the zip of the tent from inside. Otherwise, monkeys could break in in the middle of night. It's great that monkeys are around the camp site. Outdoor lights at night can be insufficient, but they go an extra step to ensure security by having four guards patrol the site all night long. Bonfires are set up after dinner, and folklore was told.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Wounderful atmosphere with jungle experience. Luxury tents. Clean hygienic and wel maintained.
Delicious food for food lovers with yummy desert.Furnished bar with wide variety of liquor.
Staffs are efficient and very helpful,they can speak fluent English.
You vl love to interact with young dynamic manager MR Fahim,who is very friendly and always look to give you the best.

Not to forget Mr David another wounderful person who vl be always at your service.
So dear frnds plan your masaimara soon and enjoy wild life with homely experience.

Room Tip: All tents are beautiful choose any
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Nanyuki, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Oltome Mara was beautiful and very relaxing. The bathrooms are nicely designed and spotless, and the abundance of trees on the property provides a much-needed shady counterpoint to the grasslands, especially in the dry season. The staff are friendly, but without the usual endless stream of small talk that neither party wants to engage in, which is refreshing. The beds were very comfortable, with a really nice mosquito net setup.
I would recommend the 3-day package - having transportation from Nairobi taken care of makes everything so much easier, and that's more than enough time on game drives, especially if you're doing wildlife-related activities elsewhere.
And last but not least, the managers are so friendly and accommodating, and that made all the really nice amenities that much more enjoyable : )

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My experience at mara magic was nothing short of magical. What i had expected and what i received from my holiday experience was way beyond my expectations. everything about the hotel was to great standards from the decor, to the friendly staff also to the well structured rooms and surrounding atmosphere of the lush greenery in which this little paradise is located. the hotel is very well designed giving an authentic feel of "an african bush experience" and the staff compliment it well with their themed outfits and pleasant company when in their presence.
The hotel serves a wide variety buffet which was well balanced and well prepared. i thoroughly enjoyed my dinning experience. the hotel also surprisingly has 24/7 electricity which i didn't expect due its isolated location.
Overall i have nothing but praise for OLTOME and i will surely be visiting is soon again. Truly made my mara experience magical!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oltome Resorts? Share your experiences!