“The end” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Olumara Tented Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Olumara Tented Camp
You added Olumara Tented Camp to your Saves list
Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Neptune Beach, Florida
“The end”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Olumara was our last stop for our safari, and even that I could not wait to see the Mara river at close, I was nostalgic of the Serengeti. But Olumara it is such a great place, few tents, few people just like I liked, the staff made sure that everything was taking care of, they keep cold beers for us . And lots of hot water for showers. Loved the butternut cream soup. And also at the gift shop I got Masai necklace that fits.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Atlanta, Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This tented camp was reached after a 5 1/2 drive from Nairobi 3 hours of the ride over an unpaved road (which is how everyone who does not fly in gets to Masai Mara). If you go during the dry season you will learn the true meaning of "eat my dust" as you drive along the unpaved dirt road.

Olumara consists of 11 luxury tents set on raised concrete foundations. There are 2-3 beds in each tent. There is a fully functioning shower/toilet/sink in each tent.There is no safe and I don't think you need one. There are nice african decorations acenting the tent and a porch with chairs. Power is by generator and available in the morning and at night until 10:30 (hot water during the same time periods -ask them how they make hot water this far out). They also can solar charge small items during the day.No mosquito nets in the tents and I never saw a mosquito (this was in July) Tips are placed in a group box in the dining tent rather than tipping individuals. Meals are 3 course fixed menu for lunch and dinner (no buffet) and breakfast is cereal/bread/beans/sausage/yogurt/fruit/bread etc. Coffee was via french press.

There is a very small shop with limited items.

This venue provides quaint, homey service from a small casual but attentive staff (hot water bottle in the bed on cold nights, a lantern brought to you if the power goes out, etc). There is a Masai on the staff that uses the moniker "Harrison" that will engage you in any conversation you like about Masai, animals, nature etc. Take the time to speak with him and you will get a different view of the world.

You know you are far out in the wild when you hear lions roaring and hyenas calling at night and see elephant track near the camp when they come by for water from the adjacent river. Birds will wake you up at 6 am with their chatter.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

We ended an 11 day safari here. The smallest camp we stayed in and most remote. This means electricity only twice a day and hot water once a day. But we didn't mind. The staff was all very helpful. Food was good, surprisingly good for as remote as we were. We'd stay again.

• Stayed June 2012
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

The drive to the camp is much better now than it was the last time i was there a few years ago. The swinging bridge was an awesome idea. One of the things I liked was being welcomed to a bush lunch, that was such a reward after the long drive. Apparently, the camp is all surrounded by bush and a river that acts as the fence. We never stopped hearing the birds chirping and the monkeys especially during the bush lunch. There is a way that they served the steak and the pork was exceptionally grilled. I was told that the chef was called David. I also liked Godfrey the camp Manager, he is always with guests. I was very envious of a couple that told us of how earlier in the day during their game drive they had seen a hippo give birth and a leopard with a fresh catch and they were calling it "the experience of life and death". We were at the camp in April and it was not time for migration but the game drives were quite good, our driver told us its because the camp is located near a swamp and its usually the last place to dry up so animals escape to the swamp area. We stayed in a family tent and i had to miss the game drive the following morning (the comfort of the bed lied to me) but i spent the morning talking to the Masai Morans I found at the lounge and they were all so willing to give me lots of Moran stories, I really liked Saning'o, the one who welcomed us. The camp is quite small and with no congestion in the common facilities like the dinning area and lounge.

I will have to plan on a longer safari at this camp.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

It was adventurous trip to this "forgotten" treasure. Beautifull spot with very helpfull staff. Really nice atmosphere with good food and nice wines!
The tents (accomodation) are very spacious, beds are comfortable and the interior is decorated in a fantastic African way. The veranda gives a very nice overview of the surroundings. Uncredible birds to be viewed.
If we would have had more time to spend we would like to have stayed 2 weeks longer!! It's Paradise!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have always had agreat comment every time I sent a client to this camp, so When an I got the opportunity to visit i was very excited.
The journey to the camp was a gamedrive of its own, upon arrival we were given hot towels,
the staff was very welcoming, i loved the bridge across the river to the camp [though I have fear of heights this one was very stable].
Upon nearing the restaurant we were given a refleshing cold juice [good as it was very hot]
we were checked into our rooms and after freshening up we had a bush lunch it was buffet,
The pork was soo salivating! thumbs up to the chef. All the while Mr.Godfrey the manager was checking up on all the guest there.
That day was superb for us as we enjoyed the morans dancing over diner and the bonfire, and tales from a local maasai. geoge had great service and another waiter whom i dont recall his name, but the service was great!
Let talk about my room [rhino] it was the biggest spacious tent I have ever slept in in a while, the bathroom was cute i just had to take a photo before messing everything up.
The following day we had coffee very early and headed for morning gamedrive the maasai guide was great and new where to find what.
I enjoyed my stay in your camp guys and I am sure coming back soonest!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Williamsburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Pros:
>Tent sizes are larger than most tent camps.
>Fun walking bridge to lodge

Cons:
>Stayed 3 nights. Toilet didn't flush on checking room before safari. Notified staff and not fixed on my return. Told them every day and still never fixed.
>Staff generally unfriendly and not attentive to your needs. I have never stayed in a lodge where you are not greeted by a nice "Jumbo" whenever you see someone. This place they turn their heads.
>Food quality was well below average. No buffet style and only one choice for dinner on a chalkboard. Quality was way below average.
>We had early morning safaris and the kitchen staff was often late so we got late safari starts.
>Only place we stayed that did not have the hot water bottles or mosquito nets.
I am not usually a whiny guy, but you get the picture. There are other lodges that are way better for the price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Olumara Tented Camp? Share your experiences!