“good value for a 'cheap' Mara trip!” 4 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Enchoro Wildlife Camp to your Saves list
Enchoro Wildlife Camp
Delta Hotel, University Way Nairobi | University Way Nairobi, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Special Offer
Special Rate From USD 50
Stirling, Australia
“good value for a 'cheap' Mara trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

It was the cheapest organised tour for the 3 day Masai Mara trip that I could find. besides the whinging American lady in my group it was as i expected - power only available at certain times, the sound of animals in the night and not quite cold beer, but it was a nice change from Nairobi and was exactly what you would expect at the lower end of the budget (still expensive though thanks to the park fees!) but I had a great time and would recommend it!! Rooms were permanent safari tents with their own bathroom (besides being able to hear the other person pee!) it was totally fine. Watch out for the monkey with the blue balls who steals the sauce off the table haha.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were here as a part of a group and this camp was selected by our tour operator. Given its limitation such as remote location, limited supply of food, no electricity and basic infrastructure, I believe the camp does a pretty good job in treating its guests.

We were here in Enchoro for two nights and three days and most of the day was spent Game Driving in the Masai Mara reserve. The camp is very clean and the whole arrangement of tents gives you the true feeling of living out in the jungle. Our tent was spacious. It was a family tent with a double bed and two single beds. Each bed had a mosquitoes net but we did not encounter any mosquitoes or other bugs during our stay. There was a partition separating the bedroom with the another section in the tent having bathroom and toilet. We found the whole place very spacious and comfortable. The water pump used to run in the morning and the evenings and hot and cold water was available. The water pressure was of a little concern. The toilets here, like all other places in Kenya, have only toilet papers and no water jet facility.

The food is limited in variety. In breakfast we were served pancakes, omelets and breads along with milk and juice. For dinner we had mashed potato, macaroni or noodles along with meat / chicken and boiled vegetables.

There is no electricity although the water supply and the plumbing system in the camps are adequate. Electricity is available only for a limited time. Electrical sockets for charging electronics devices are available only in the dining area and were always occupied. Only a couple of sockets are available but they have a extension socket. I would recommend that you extra batteries for your cameras and other electronic devices.

Overall it was a plus for us and I would recommend Enchoro for anyone looking for a camp experience in Masai Mara

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you want to see the Mara on a budget, this is your spot to stay.
The positives: Fetched on time in Nairobi by our guide Ken who was friendly. He drove very well the whole way which I was thankful for.
Whilst in the Mara we saw Big Four within the first 2 hours. Black Rhino seen on the second full day which completed the Big Five. Unbelievable experience seeing the Wildebeest stragglers coming back from Tanzania in their thousands. I saw game and things happening like lions eating a dead elephant from the face first that I have never experienced in my life and will never forget.
The negatives: Enchoro camp is basic, basic, basic. The food is as basic and not tasty at all. Only the breakfast 'omelet' and sausage were tasty and in my opinion should have been served 3 times a day as the lunch and dinner were very dodgy to say the least.
Arrived after a horrendous 5 hour journey including 2 hours of the worst dirt road, bone jarring, kidney shaking, rutted and dusty environment known to man, so brace yourself for this to happen.
Would have loved a cold beer to settle our nerves but only room temp beers available, no ice or fridge to speak of.
Accommodation: Permanent tent with the worst shower known to man, no pressure and lukewarm water trickling out. Pathetic that they have not installed a pressure pump like everywhere else in Kenya, so there is no excuse other than a generator issue. Clearly a local Kenyan owner who doesn't want to spend money on these necessities that will make a big difference to me returning and telling my mates to stay at his camp.....NOT!
Generator only comes on twice a day so tents are as dark as a cave most of the time. Door on the shower didn't close so the water ran out of the shower into the tent and wet our bags on the floor just to irk us more.
Did I mention the food was rubbish, yes I did but thought I would mention it again. Butternut soup where they added the butter but left out the nut. Looked and tasted like dishwater.
In conclusion: Stay at this camp but take as much food with you as you can. Cooler box with ice would be good, pepper grinder to mask the taste of things, mayonnaise, etc. Take your own pillow and torch. Take your own cook if you can.
The game drive vehicle was full of dust and needed to be cleaned more often before game drives (my wife moaned about this, not me as we were in the bush). Our guide was fine, nothing special and didn't offer massive interesting stories about the animals until asked specific questions. He had a mission to get to the Mara river for lunch one day and would not drive very slowly through the myriad animals even though we asked a million times as we wanted to experience the phenomenon as much as possible.
If your mission is to see the animals and don't care about the accommodation, this is the camp for you. The Maasai village outside Enchoro is like a rubbish dump and they live like pigs. Very, very disappointing and I cannot believe that they can't dig a hole and collect the rubbish and at least bury it if there are no services to remove garbage.
All in all, I will be spending my money in Tanzania next time as I think they are more deserving people. And I will fly into the reserve if at all possible.

Room Tip: Ask for the tents near the dining hall as I believe they have better water pressure for a half decen...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I booked a safari and stay all via enchoro wildlife camp, and it turned out to be the worst choice that I had made throughout my 9 week stay in Kenya. The safari company they connected us with (right choice safaris) was awful. We were promised a full day and a half of safaris, which should have added up to over 8 hours of park time. Unfortunately, this company was the worst and instead of 8 hours, we ended up with a little over 90 minutes in the park. We booked through this company because they promised that in our short time (two days and one night) we'd actually be able to see the wildebeest migration. We were picked up in our hotel in Nairobi at 6:30 am, however, we didn't actually leave Nairobi until a little after 11am. Our driver decided that going 5 kph was a good idea, so we didn't actually arrive at the hotel until 5pm. Our driver gave made us wait 30-40 minutes while we were "checking in" etc (while he drank tea and complained) until he drove us to the park. By the time we got to the park it was almost 6, and the park closes at 6:30 pm. It was the worst.

Besides that, the actual hotel itself was ok. The food was horrible. White bread, and some cooked veggies.

My experience was beyond terrible with this camp and the tour company they booked us with. I know that others were complaining that there weren't enough electrical outlets for everyone to use, and it seemed that no one else enjoyed the food.

So, if you're looking for a nice place to relax while you visit the mara, stay as far away from this camp as you can!

Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I just have to write a review about this camp.

1. From the word go bad start-off with booking office in Nairobi. The reception is wanting no clear information about their property at the Mara

2. I accompanied two of my friends from SA to Enchoro Camp and upon arrival, which was in time for lunch, we were famished but only got to be served much later after all the other guests had been served. In other words we watched while other guests fed before we could. This went on constantly for all the next 6 meals we had. The better side of this is that the food was delicious

3. The manager on duty realized that our driver was kikuyu (he the manager as well as the Enchoro Camp staff are mostly Luos) and didn't give him a room within the property as should be the norm in most of the camps / lodges. So our chauffer had to look for somewhere to crash for the two nights we were there. Probably the tribe aspect explains why my guests were not treated equally as other guests. (Tribal lines?)

4. One embarrassing moment was when one of my pal`s bed fell while he was asleep! not strong enough base of the wooden beds...quite embarrassing. The beds are frail and should be hard wood not soft wood to cater for heavy and light bodied guests alike.

5. Never to return to this facility! and wouldn't be comfortable recommending it to anyone. Unless you would like to suffer tribal discrimination especially if your driver guide is a Kikuyu!!

I deleted all of Enchoros correspondences not wanting a memory of them. With this review being a closure point for me and on behalf of my guests...

Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The trip got off to a bad start. Initially they said collection would be 8.15am. Then, the day before, they told us to be ready for 6.15am. We called back to check this as it didn't seem right. They assured us we much be ready for 6.15am. And, surprise surprise, they didn't arrive until after 8am. Then we had almost an hour faffing round in a shopping centre car park as a confusion meant people were in the wrong vans. We had two nights in this camp. On the outskirts of the park surrounded by litter and scrubland. The tents were better than I have seen in other budget tented camps but they were very dark and the toilet stunk to high heaven, even before the food we ate which gave us bad tummies. The beds very comfortable and the tents clean, however. The shower was a bit of a nightmare - several attempts were aborted, one because the water was scolding hot and couldn't cool down. The food was standard camp fare - greasy pasta, gristly meat and slimy vegetables. Also, it drove us mad that hot tea was only available very early, before the game drives, or last thing at night, served after supper at 9pm, a little late for caffeine when up before 6am! There was also no where near enough water provided in the car and we had to all buy our own, but, by the time we found out there wasn't water we were stuck in the middle of th Mara very thirstly indeed. There were not enough window seats, and it is a lie when they say there are. Our guide was excellent at following other vans but had no knowledge of smaller creatures or birds. Finally, one of our party had let the company know that he needed to be back in Nairobi by lunchtime on the final day. Before we left Nairobi, we were assured this was easily arranged and would be know problem. It was a problem and the safari guides & hotel weren't able to get together and organise the logistics - ie with a little rearranging and planning it could have been achieved. All they could do was sort out a taxi, which he used and paid £70 for. All in all, this is a cheap trip and one can't expect luxury. However, I feel that their promises weren't honoured and indeed I feel they'd say anything to get your money in full before departure.

Leuven, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We booked a 4 day / 3 night safari with Enchoro. Communication in advance went well by mail, payment didn't go through, but we could go and pay at the office in Nairobi.
At the office in Nairobi I doublechecked if water was included (yes, 3 liters/person). I'm very disappointed that no water was provided. We made long rides in the dust, water would have been welcome. Disappointing that they try to catch money on this or what explanation can you give?
We booked a 3 day Masai Mara + 1 day Lake Nakuru safari. In the bookingoffice they told us they changed the program to Nakuru + Masai Mara. In our experience this wasn't a bad switch at all.
The hotel we stayed in Nakuru (Golden Palace Hotel) had a friendly staff. Food was ok, bathroom was poor (not clean, leakage), room was clean.
Our driver, Ken(neth) was a good driver. That says all. He wasn't a guide, he lacks any passion for the nature / animals. This means he drove us to the animals saying which animal we saw, finished. We saw a lot, but with no further explanations.
The Enchoro Camp. The tent was ok. The zip didn't close well anymore, mosquitonets had their best time years ago but it was clean. Disappointing: there was supposed to be hot (warm) water between 7 pm - 10 pm. Our tent didn't get any warm water (not even close). Given the Kenyan "winter", a warm shower would have been welcome. Other people in our car however did get hot water, so I guess we just got bad luck with our tent.
Enchoro states on it's website that windowseats are guarenteed and they carry a maximum of 7 passengers. This is not true. First day in Nakuru we were just the two of us: awesome! Next day we were 6: also fine. Then they came and add 2 other people left from another group. This means 8 people in the car: you can stand only with 6 people in the roof. These two people didn't get value for their money.
Food in the camp was fine.
We didn't regret going with Enchoro, but we won't recommend it.
This idea has been strenghted by another safari we did on the last day of our stay in Nairobi with Venture Savannah Tours & Travel, where we had a very good, passionated guide (Frank). He answered many questions about the Mara where Ken failed to do so. This one we would definitely recommend over Enchoro! (They have a camp at the same gate as Enchoro)

Room Tip: Masai Mara: Check if the water gets hot, if not: go and complain, don't wait for the next day be...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Enchoro Wildlife Camp? Share your experiences!