“Excellent time in a quiet area of The Mara” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sala's Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sala's Camp
You added Sala's Camp to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Lodge   |   Sand River, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Polk City, Florida
“Excellent time in a quiet area of The Mara”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We were there before the migration in July. Tony (our guide) and Ollie were an excellent combination in finding great sightings, even though the quantity of the animals was less than expected. While truly under canvas, the tents were very comfortable with running water and electricity. While we were there the relief manager was present, Ali, she did an excellent job, and if the regular managers are as good, then you will not be disappointed. If you want to avoid the crowds in this area during the summer, this is the place in The Masai Mara.

Room Tip: Choice the honeymoon tent, larger with sitting room. Only thing to remember is further from the mes...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Situated on the border of Mara and Serengeti, Sala's camp is an absolute delight! 45 minute drive from the airstrip. Upon arrival we were welcomed with cool apple juice and a cold face towel which was greatly welcomed and refreshing. our tour guide Alex was the best I have ever come across and so was our driver John. They both have a a wealth of experience about wildlife and did some great wildlife spotting for us.The manager of the camp, Sissa, was extremely friendly and great with the kids too. My two boys got a free cooking class from her where they learnt how to make muffins and then Alex took over and showed them how to make a bow and arrow and took them down to the bank of the river. We even managed to get a a well deserved afternoon siesta! Alex and Sissa are great with children! The early morning game drive was fantastic and we even had our own individual blankets to cover up against the chilly morning air! Never seen this anywhere before! Breakfast by the Mara river was delicious. The tents are absolutely beautifully decorated and comfortable. Hot water in the showers and the tents and bathroom are cleaned up by the time you come back in to retire for the night. Your laundry is taken in the morning and delivered to your tent by the same evening all ironed! Again never have I seen this anywhere before! Drinks were plentiful and Sissa kept offering us a drink! We were all very sad to leave. My older son started crying on the night we were home saying "I miss SALA'S"! He really bonded with Alex!

We already miss it! It was the best weekend getaway I have had!

The only shortcoming I could say was that the food quantity (not quality) was less than expected.

Room Tip: All tents are wonderful. 1,2 and 3 are closer to the dining area, though all are close anyway.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Marlborough, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

When my sister and I were planning our trip to Giraffe Manor, she told me we would be going on safari and staying at Sala's Camp. I envisioned a canvas tent, sleeping bags on a cot and a Coleman stove. We happened to take a peak at the website before leaving Boston and much to my surprise, this was NOT what I thought it was going to be! When we arrived at Keekoorock landing strip we met Alex and Maseck, our guide and spotter who took up to the camp. After spending a few minutes with them, I knew we were in for and incredible journey. We got to the camp to be met with cool cloths for our face and cold apple juice, a welcomed relief, and the delightful Sissa, camp manager. We would leave the camp at 6:30 am return around 1 and leave again at 4pm and be out on the plains until dark each day. We never saw another land cruiser the first day we were out and rearly did for the next 2 days. It was Bettyann, Alex, Maseck and myself traveling through the Serengetti, and Masai Mara for miles and miles witnessing the magic of Africa each day. It was not just the animals that touched my heart, it was the people we met along the way. If you plan your trip ask for Maseck and Alex, they are truly amazing. We saw 4 of the Big 5, we could not find a rhino, but we saw everything else and much more.

Room Tip: the tents are gorgeous, fully equipped with bathroom/shower and sink. Beds! It is truly glamping...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I absolutely loved this visit to Sala's! I've been back for 2 weeks and this longing I have to return is hard to shake. It's quite hard to describe but the tranquility, the wonder, the animals and, most of all, the people made our experience unforgettable.

The minute we stepped off the plane I could feel an energy and calm that was almost palpable. We were greeted by our guide Alex and spotter Maseck and drove through the plains for about 2 or 3 hours before we got to camp. My eyes could not see enough of what was around me; I felt like a child, overwhelmed with excitement. When we arrived at camp, there was Sissa and a few staff with cold cloths for our face and ice cold drinks. I felt like royalty.

Being a non-camper and bug phobic person, I was nervous but had already prepared myself for the challenge. Little did I know how luxurious and virtually bug free the camp was. We entered the mess tent and lounging area and I was completely blown away. Just across the Sand River ravine was a vast span of gorgeous trees and bush and, further beyond, a mountain range that almost looked fake because it was so perfectly set into the scenery.

We got to our tent, #3, and it was fantastic. Private bath, beautiful pedestal sink and comfy little table for our meals set in front for perfect viewing. There were hammocks and swinging chairs and even a big, four poster bed set in the grass just beside the main tent.

Our daily routine was up and out by 6:30 AM in the truck. Alex was an expert guide and took us to these remote areas where there were no other safari trucks. You could tell the bush is part of him. He and Maseck are a great team. I swear they have laser eyes. We'd stop and I'd be looking for something, only to miss that what they saw was a mile or 2 away. Simply amazing. I think we saw 1 or 2 other vehicles the whole 4 days we were there given that we were really off the beaten path of dirt roads. We saw so many amazing and beautiful animals and birds. And the TREES! OMG, the acacia, fig and "sausage" trees are so majestic. I just loved them.

Breakfast at the hippo pool was just crazy. We had fresh fruit and bred, yogurt and granola ... and then we were asked how we wanted our eggs and I said "ha, ha ... very funny Alex." He said, no really, how would you like your eggs. So he showed us the little burner that is attached to the back of the truck and my jaw dropped. So we had scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage with fresh, hot coffee each morning. Amazing.

We saw 4 of the big 5. The elusive rhino escaped us. Not surprising given I was told there are only about 45 or so in the Masai region of the Mara. Had I been there longer we would have found them, no doubt. If I had known when I booked this trip what I do now about safari, I would have stayed for far longer.

Hard to explain how the experience has effected me internally, at my core, but it has changed me. In a way that I have been very calm in a fast-paced work environment and things are just in perspective.

Big hugs and many thanks to Sissa, Sala's camp manager. She is an AMAZING young woman,worldy beyond her years with fantastic camp fire, story-telling skills. Her sense of humor is perfection and she knows how to make each guest feel like they're the only one there.

One last thing ... the food. A-MA-zing! Here we are in the middle of the brush and for dessert one night we had a gorgeous souffle. I am a bit of a food snob and I will tell you, this is 5 star cuisine. Thank you Moses for an amazing food experience as well.

Sala's should be on your agenda for sure. An astonishing experience awaits you.

Room Tip: Any of the tents will do.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This was our second trip to the Masai Mara and our first staying at Sala's camp. It is a secluded, intimate, and private camp well away from the hoards of tourists and 4 wheel drives and minibuses in the Mara in August. It's beautifully decorated and the food is wonderful .. we were very fortunate to stay in the Honeymoon tent, which was absolutely gorgeous! The wildlife just close by the camp is amazing .. and when you go out on a game drive, you feel like you have the whole area to yourself. It's right on the river in such a beautiful location. We had an elephant just outside our tent one morning and thousands and thousands of wilderbeest just on the other side of the river. The manager Sissa is wonderful and all the guides and spotters are excellent. We loved our four nights there and can't wait to go back again soon!

Room Tip: Try to book the honeymoon tent .. so spacious and beautifully decorated
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

We visited Sala's in early August and to our delight there was a "mega herd" of wildebeests and zeebras right at Sala's! Wonderful being amongst the animals during the great migration and had a wonderful guide/driver, Alex, as well.

The camp consist of 7 tents all set up along a line from the the mess or dining tent along the river bank number 1 being the closes to the mess tent and number 7, a family tent, being the furthest away.

Each tent is ensuite and have comfortable beds along with the other useful tented furnitures. You can feel the uneven grounds underneath the canvas floor walking around the tent and you know that these tents are the real thing not a pretended tent like in other camps. Hot water is provided, or turn on, 2 times a day but if you want it when it's off all you have to do is to let them know. Our tent, no. 6, fronted the Talex River and there are swing beds and chairs set up on the trees right by our tents.

Each evening there is a roaring fireplace by the mess tent where guests are welcome for drinks and socialize with other guests. Dinner is normally around 7.30 - 8.00PM and you can either dine in the communal table or have your own private table if you wishes. Food was pretty good and the wine selection was OK.

The game drive vehicles are Toyota Land Cruisers with an open top and are very comfortable. Each have a cooler inside where cold water, soft drinks and beers are kept. If you want a pack lunch can be taken with you on game drives and the guide and spotter will setup a nice table at an appropriate location for dining amongst the wild animals. If you are a photographers the camp will provide you with bean bags for your cameras. No electricity but there is a charging station by the mess tent where you can charge your electronics.

Only one negative about this camp and that was the late pickup at Keekorok airstrip. Not really Sala's fault and the blame rested on Timimi, the company that owns the Sala's and other camps/hotels in Kenya. Apparently the wrong information was given to Sala's about our arrival time and no one showed up! The guides from the other camps quickly helped us out and got Sala's to pick us up within a few minutes.

Highly recommended and i would like to suggest staying at Sala's Camp plus another camp in another corner of the Masai Mara national park as the perfect safari during the great migration.

Room Tip: If you want total privacy then ask for tent 7
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We spend many holidays in the bush, and I have to say Sala's camp did not disappoint us. The camp is a temporary camp and has to be packed away at the end of the season. You would never know this, as the tents have ensuite bathrooms with flushing toilets, hot showers on request and good lighting for reading at night. Your laundry is taken away in the morning and by the time you go to bed it is back ironed in your cupboard at no extra charge! The food is delicious and probably too plentiful! The location is superb right on the sand river, tucked away so you feel like you are the only people in the Mara. The camp is small - 14 guests in total which is a big advantage. The staff were always on hand and very friendly.
Our game viewing experiences were exceptional, we were privilidged to watch the first wave of the 2011 Migration come thorough the Eastern corridor all to ourselves, a life time experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sala's Camp? Share your experiences!