This trip was a year in the planning and as each month passed prior to going, the expectation level rose. There is always a little trepidation about what you hope for and what you receive. Well what we received at the Mara Plains so surpassed my expectations I'm surprised I didn't catch bugs in my continuously opened in amazement mouth. We were greeted by Kevin at the landing strip with the biggest smile and warmest welcome. We were also lucky to have him as our guide for the entire time we were there, but more on him later. When we arrived at the camp, which consists of seven of the most fabulously appointed tents (better than many high end hotels), we were greeted by Richard and Lorna, who manage the camp. It felt like coming home. We dined al fresco for lunch every day under the trees with white linens, good wine, delicious food and great conversation. Richard and Lorna are the consummate hosts and so passionate about the conservancy and promotion of the Masai people and their culture. We had two game drives each day, and Kevin was one with the plains. He educated us constantly about the animals and we did see all of the big five - more than once, but told us in depth as a good story teller does about their lives and how they live as predator or prey out on the Mara Plains. Each day was a new adventure with something different unfolding. If you are considering a safari in Kenya or even East Africa - this is where you want to be. It changes you for the better. Thank you to all at the Mara Plains Camp.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is a small, high quality, six-roomed camp under canvas, located within the private Olare Motorogi Conservancy and just a few hundred meters to the north of the Masai Mara National Reserve boundary. Guests can game drive in both the Masai Mara National Reserve and the Conservancy away from the crowds. It is a fabulous wildlife reserve of 30000 acres, rich in wildlife (with all the predators and big cats in particular), with the lowest vehicle density in the Mara, no mini-buses and only one guest room per 700 acres. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Travelocity so you can book your Mara Plains Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Plains Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Plains Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve