We stayed here for 2 nights as part of a package arranged by Natural World Tours and Safaris Mombasa (see separate review) and what a wonderful experience it was. The staff were welcoming and friendly, and as it was slightly off season there were only a few other guests and we had almost one to one service.
We really enjoyed the food, freshly cooked, again as there were few guests we all ate together so the buffet was not hanging around for long periods. Soup, a choice of meat or fish, and fruit dessert. Drinks were expensive compared to Mombasa beach resorts (300ksh for a Tusker) but this area is seriously remote, a 5 hour drive from Nairobi.
The tents are fine, electricity is by generator so only on when it gets dusk, there is a porch with 2 chairs and a light outside, and a mirror on a canvas hanger, very rustic but quite novel and all part of the experience!
The private bathroom is a concrete building at the back of the tent with shower sink and toilet, again fairly rustic but that is what we wanted. We couldn't get the hot water to work but really it was not a problem, if we had gone back to reception/bar I am sure they would have explained it again, something about turning the red lever but it just didn't matter to us. Cold was fine, this is Africa.
The camp is about 5 minutes from the Mara gate and we heard plenty of wild sounds coming from the bush in the night. There is a Masai village nearby which we did not visit as we heard bad reports about a $25 entrance fee and aggressive selling techniques there.
The only slight niggle was the double bed which had a prounounced dip in the middle, on the second night I moved to the single bed and got a perfect nights sleep.
This is not a 'luxury' camp and if this is what you are after look elsewhere. For most true travellers however it provides a truly wonderful experience and I will remember my visit for the rest of my life. Recommendations do not come higher than that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is an exclusive and intimate tented camp positioned to make you feel close to nature as much as possible.The camp is situated within the Masai Mara eco system on the banks of Olalaimutia River. Available are 19 spacious tents made up of single, doubles and one honeymooners' suite. The meals are buffet enjoyed either in the shade of indigenous trees. The culinary affair is indeed one to delight your senses. What one must not miss watching at the camp is the traditional Masai Dance with the bonfire and during day time one can take part in numerous escapades including adventures in the wild, nature trails and most of all the balloon safaris. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Ol-moran Tented Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ol-Moran Tented Camp Hotel Nairobi
- Ol-Moran Tented Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve