My friends and I went to Kenya for the Beest Migration this Aug. We loved the animals and places there, but not the Sekenani Camp.
We planned to stay in Masaai Mara for 4 nights and didn't intend to stay in Sekenani in our trip. However, since it came to our attention a few days before our departure that the lodge we intended to stay was overbooked on the second night, our local travel agent booked the Sekenani Camp as a work around.
The environment of Sekenani Camp is ok and the tents are located very far apart from each other. It's good for people who love privacy and quietness. However, it also provides very good opportunities for thievery to be happened.
During our 1 night stay there, the laptop of one of my friends was being stolen while she was sleeping. Seemed the thief knew very well in the tent layout and where the laptop was located before the light was being shut down suddenly at 10pm, while we were being told that light is on for 24 hours. Since my friend stayed very far apart from reception and we were advised not to go out at night, she didn't report the sudden cut of light in the absence of a phone in the tent and went to sleep.
At 1ish am, she heard some noise and woke up. Light was still not working and she found the part of the tent near her bed has been cut and her laptop was gone!!!
She rushed to reception with her room mate and reported the loss immediately. Hotel staff had guided them to report the loss with police, and they were struggling through the reporting and searching processes till morning. And of course, the laptop was still not found.
We were being told by the manager that it's the first instance for thievery in the Camp. But what I can see in Tripadvisor here that 2 thieveries of cash happened in the camp in 2011. Seems the security has not been improved since those incidents, which made us very disappointed.
We will definitely not return to Sekenani Camp in future!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sekenani Camp offers an authentic bush experience for visitors wishing to get close to nature. Set at the source of Sekenani River, The camp offers a serene environment in which to relax, unwind and enjoy all the Mara has to offer. It comprises fifteen exceptionally well-designed tents set well apart for ensure maximum privacy. Each tent has a wooden floor and en-suite bathroom complete with full-length bathtub. The camp is accessible in five hours by road or a 45minute flight from Nairobi. Custom safari Vehicles are available by reservation. In addition to game drives in the reserve, guest may walk along the river or over the hills behind the camp escorted by Masai guides. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Sekenani Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sekenani Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Sekenani Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve