“Amazing!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Offbeat Mara Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Offbeat Mara Camp
Save Saved
You added Offbeat Mara Camp to your Saves list
Mara North Conservancy | Masai Mara, Kenya, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've been on two safaris in the Masai Mara, one in 2007 and one in 2013. The 2013 we stayed at Offbeat and absolutely LOVED it. The hosts were excellent. The guides were so helpful and authentic. The food was great. And the sleeping arrangements were cozy. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Choosing Offbeat is an EXCELLENT choice for a safari! The bonfires on the African plains while watching the sunset puts the icing on the cake. Seriously, choose Offbeat.

Room Tip: Don't let the tents scare you. They are secure and very luxurious.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your great review here on TripAdvisor and I am very glad you had such a good stay.
We hope to welcome you back to Offbeat soon

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I just got back from 5 nights at offbeat Mara camp. . Great setting and facilities. It was my first tent experience but settled in easily. The hot water bottle was a welcome sight at the end of a long day. The hosts ( Jamie and Katie) were attentive and despite there relatively young ages managed to host the dinners very well.
Game viewing was excellent and my guide made the drives fun.
I would probably combine this camp with another next time to get a varied game experience but thoroughly enjoyed myself at Offbeat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you very much for your review here and great you had an amazing experience.
I will pass on your comments to Katie, Jamie and the team and we hope to see you back at Offbeat Mara Camp again
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I can't say enough about the experience I had. The accommodations and the setting within the conservatory was fabulous. Add to that a staff who wants this to be a trip of a lifetime and you have a great combination. Thanks again to each of them for making my safari so special.

• Stayed June 2013
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your review here. I am thrilled you had such a great time and I will pass your comments onto the team.
We hope to see you again at Offbeat Mara soon!
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

After three weeks in Kenya with a group of college students, I was eager to visit Offbeat Mara. My Masai guide and spotter (David and James) met me at the airstrip and provided the first watching experience on our drive to camp before lunch. I was amazed by how many species we saw over three days, including two lionesses and six cubs on our way to my farewell flight! Being virtually unplugged was actually a relief--wifi available in the office tent in the evenings, and I didn't miss TV at all. Meals were superb with great service in the mess tent! Oh....and love the superbly stocked bar! Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the outer tents in order to get unobstructed views of the hillside in front of the ca...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your great review here and I am very happy you had such a great time.
I will pass your comments onto Katie, Jamie, David, James (Mukenye) and the rest of the crew.
We hope to welcome you back to Offbeat Mara soon
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My first visit to Offbeat Mara was three years ago with my then 16 year old daughter, and it was heaven on earth! EVERYTHING was perfect and we decided this was our "happy place." I returned the following year with two of my closest friends and they agreed, HEAVEN! Back AGAIN, this past January with three more friends who have not stopped thanking me for sharing this amazing experience with them!!! I am now planning my fourth trip for this coming July with my daughter, AGAIN!

In my opinion the North Conservancy is perfection. Some days you can go all day and only see a few other vehicles, usually in the distance. The game is ridiculous! Cheetahs, Leopards, and the Offbeat Pride EVERYDAY! And the Offbeat Maasai guides are unbelievable, we always request Joseph and Kimani although they are ALL amazing. Kimani is one of the funniest guys you will ever met.

The service is topnotch and the comfort level high. The food is wonderful, the wine plentiful and the camp management is beyond. I work in both the US and Kenya and can go months without a day off but just 3 or 4 days here and I can completely recharge my severely depleted self. I can jump back into my crazy life not only rested (best sleep ever when I am there) but filled with a sense of calm and focus.

OK. I have run out of superlatives and hate redundancy, so I will sign off, for now. I am sure you are going to have the time of your life.

Cheers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Than you very much for your great review here on TripAdvisor and we are thrilled that you love Offbeat Mara so much.
Great your friends had such a good time and we look forward to seeing you and your daughter again in July.
I will pass your comments on to Joseph and Kimani and the rest of the team and see you soon!
Bletchingley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Our 2 weeks in Kenya started with 2 nights at Offbeat Mara camp and what a fantastic beginning to our holiday. Everyone was surprised we were going on safari with a 2yr old and 5 yr old but they loved it and it all worked out brilliantly without compromise.
We went on early morning game drives and late afternoon ones and the boys would just have a snooze on the back seat which worked particularly well when we were enjoying our beer at sundown!

We had an amazing couple of days, and nearly ticked off the big 5 on our game drive from the air strip on the 1st day. There was always an animal on view which I think is lucky but also down to the skill of the guides and being in the Mara Conservancy. You also feel like its very private as there aren't that many other vehicles and the ones you do see it's nice to say hi briefly and then go your separate ways.

Our guides David and Orgayai were fantastic and our boys loved them, especially when they were able to sit up front and when they were digging us out of the mud!
All the game viewing was amazing but a highlight was seeing the lions cubs eating a Zebra and one of the mothers carrying her cub over to encourage him to eat the Zebra and breakfast with the hippos.

The camp was fantastic, the staff were excellent, Rosie, Camp Manager and Sammy were excellent hosts and nothing was too much trouble and when half the staff got stuck the other side of the river due to a flood which added to the the excitement we wouldn't have noticed as the staff were so good at rallying around. Our tent was fantastic and such an adventure for the boys, beds were extremely comfortable. We loved our hot showers after a game drive followed by gin and tonics and nibbles. Then getting the boys to bed, guarded by a masai while we enjoyed our delicious dinner and wine.

High praise to the chef, the breakfasts, lunches, and dinners were excellent and we enjoyed meeting your friendly bush babies

It was such a magical experience sleeping under canvas and hearing the roar of a lion just outside your tent but feeling completely safe at the same time and waking up to a wonderful view of a herd of elephants only 30 metres away.

Thanks so much it is a trip we will always remember and definitely will recommend your camp to all

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review here on TripAdvisor.
I am glad you had such a great stay at Offbeat Mara and that the Mara North Conservancy was looking so good.
I am sorry you had so much rain, but sounds like it did not dampen the spirits. Early April can get quite wet in the Mara!
Great that the bush babies came to say Hi at dinner and that the guides did such a good job.
I will pass your comments on to Rosie (who was the relief manager at the time - the new manager from Jun3 2013 is Katie), Sammy and the whole team.
We hope to see you back again soon and that the safari bug has hit your children at such a young age!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This review is grossly late, but I figured better late than never! I stayed at Offbeat Mara for 4 days in October of 2012 and it was beyond incredible. This is as close to nature as you can get! The guides were unbelievable (ask for James - he sounds just like Morgan Freeman!). I saw everything there is to see without any of the tour buses. I even got to see a gigantic herd of wildebeest crossing the Mara river which was astounding. The tents were very comfortable and the food was delicious. This is a very unique place to stay and I am so glad it was recommended to me. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thanks very much for your great review. I am glad you had a great stay and I will pass your comments onto James and the rest of the staff.
We hope to see you back again soon!
Piers

Been to Offbeat Mara Camp? Share your experiences!