“Amazing stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ilkeliani Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ilkeliani Camp
Save Saved
You added Ilkeliani Camp to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Masai Mara | P.O Box 64196, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00620, Kenya   |
Zurich, Switzerland
“Amazing stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Our trip started with Ilkeliani and they set the standard really high! Tents are very good - but if you expect too mu luxury, you will probably won't appreciate a lot. All is stylish, clean and charming. You have hot water all the time! When in the evening you have to go to the lounge and restaurant, someone always waits for you and accompanies you (it could be dark and you are in the nature after all and if you don't remember your way, it is helpful) - the people accompany you back to the tent when you decide to go back. The beds are always made and you have a bottle of hot water, sufficient blankets.

Wake-up calls, coffee in the morning before the games and all is greatly organized. About the food - great! Ok, you don't have a menu to choose from but the chef Jonathan, a masai, does an amazing job with the limited electricity, no drinking water in your tap. The taste and presentation of the dishes deserves a recognition and a particular remark! A note about the service and attention to details, one evening we had fish and it was served with a knife for fish, which is not common in many restaurants etc. The diversity of the dishes was another point to make!

The staff - absolutely friendly and helpful! You can easily engage in conversations and those are great guys to take care of you while you are there - starting at 5am till you go back to your tent! Compared to all other places we visited, this was the most friendly , helpful and superb staff (at least for me).

The games are the usual - wake up at 6, game drives start at 6.30 - our guide was another special guy. We did one full day trip to Mara river as well.

Our tent had a view to the river, we had also rain but it didn't interrupt our trip at all. There were a few options for a visit to a Masai, village, walks, dinners in the bushes, they can assist you in getting to a balloon ride.

For some the fact that you do not have internet access could be an issue but you can enjoy the nature more.. Electricity is available in the morning and the evening and you can charge your batteries in the lounge.

You don't have a safe and when we asked for a safe they were surprised which demonstrates that it is also a safe place!

The location of the camp if convenient because you are a few mins from the Masai Mara park entrance, easy drive from/to the airport.

All I can say is Bravo to this true Kenyan place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Ilkeliani from the 13th to the 16th of October this year. I want to take a moment to say thank you the the entire staff for making it such a lovely visit. The location is nice and you have the ability to track different areas on your game drives. The camp itself is very clean, the beds and pillows are very soft and the food is quite tasty. There's a nice view of the river, elevated viewing area for sundowners if you choose, firepit, hot water and you can easily charge your electronics.
My biggest compliment is to the friendliness of the manager Charles and his staff. Edwin and the other wait staff made you feel welcome and at home. Wilson who is the warrior who took me on an afternoon visit to a Masai village was very knowledgeable, friendly and kind.
I spent most of my time with my driver Edward though. He's a very friendly man and an excellent tracker. On my first morning safari we were blessed to watch a cheetah track and kill a wildebeest!! I was in the vehicle closest to the action because he knew to go a different direction than the two other vehicles. He stays in constant contact with other drivers and has sharp eyes. He even spots small pieces of plastic or soda cans and will stop to pick them up for proper disposal. You can tell he knows his land and is very proud of it. He also found the elusive leopard and I spoke with a family who had been in the area for a week and didn't see one leopard. I was there three days and saw the cheetah kill, the four male lion sons (just not Nodge, their dad), leopard and of course elephants and buffalo. The rhino was the only one to not make an appearance.
It was a lovely stay and I highly recommend it!!

• Stayed October 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My new wife and I stayed here for 3 nights between 10-13th October 2012 for part of our honeymoon which has included staying at 6 different safari lodges.
I have to say they have all been fantastic but ilkeliani has been by far and away the best.
First of the setting is amazing, it's beautiful river canyon running right out side the tents is wonderful and full of wildlife. Laying there at night listening to lions, hyenas and zebra was the most fantastic feeling.
The tents themselves are really well done with wonderful beds and very very good showers (better than nearly every other place we have stayed)
The food is very very good and I couldn't fault it at all it was really nice especially eating the lunches outside by the river canyon. Also my wife who is vegetarian stated that it was the best veggie food she had had in Africa.
Lastly the staff, each and everyone was delightful they were always smiling and interesting. They were very professional yet chatty and fun. I actually felt sad when it came time to leave them and I know my wife felt the same.
I couldn't recommend this site more, I urge anyone who loves nature, camping and Africa to go stay there.

Also try the hot air balloon ride over the mara. We did it and it was one of the best things I have ever done I loved very second if it.

As soon as I have saved enough I will be returning to ilkeliani for another stay!!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

What a great place! Beautiful setting, friendly, helpful staff, lovely tents, animals on the doorstep, I had a visit from a Genet on the first evening on my verandah! Masai escort you to and from your tent after dark. Even provided hot water bottles on the chilly nights! Just fantastic......

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My daughter (13) and I stayed here for 2 nights in June 2012 and had a fantastic experience. The tents were roomy, the hot water plentiful, and the setting beautiful. The tents are private - on the banks of a river. You can sit in front of your tent and watch the baboons play on the banks of the river. The game drives were wonderful with an experienced and friendly driver (Wilson) who led us to cheetah cubs, severals prides of lions, and more wildlife than I can recount. The food was plentiful and good - in a scenic tent on the river with a separate area for lounging and drinks. The setting is really well done to have a minimal impact. We had a nature walk with a Masaii guide which was remarkable - he pointed out a variety of flora and how the Masaii used them. Showed my daughter Masaii games and how to spot traces of animals in the area. But most of all - the people were so friendly and helpful. So kind and easy-going. I would recommend it to anyone. Great value and easy to fly in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New Meadows, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Second trip with Ilkeliani, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2011.
Both trips were special, 3 leopards 2010, 2 leopards 2011, dreams do come true !
My guides, Edward and Wilson, equally superb. Chefs and staff all excellent, hospitality and quality of food excellent! Location on Talek River, excellent. Wonderful tents, hot showers, Maasai guards and house keepers, Perfect !
I recommend a nature walk with local Maasai (Julius) extremely knowledgeable about local ecosystems and Maasai culture, learned so much.
Top notch vehicles, comfortable, always have window seats, guides extremely keen eyed and observant of both birds and mammals.
Can't say enough about how well I was treated. Allow two to four days " At The Camp" for the best experience.
Making plans to return 2012, Best Experiences of my Life !

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Ceres
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

My friend and I only had 2 days and 1 night for a Safari before leaving Kenya. We chose Ilkeliani and were very glad we did. We were met at the airstrip and immediately taken to see Zebra and Giraffe. Petro and Moses were very knowledgeable and attentive to us. Because of heavy rains, our guide we had to find another way to get to camp. We were driven around a back way and met with umbrellas. We were transferred to another jeep and delivered to camp. Our tent was right on the Talek River (which was raging). My friend had a problem walking at the end of the day so they delivered our dinner to our tent. Food was wonderful. Even had hot water bottles in our beds.
Next day, we were given the option to skip breakfast and head straight for the Mara. Petro and Moses packed a wonderful breakfast for us to eat later. We were not disappointed in the safari. Saw so many amazing animals then stopped for breakfast.
Thanks everyone for the wonderful memories. I am looking forward to bringing my husband and kids next time and we will be staying with you!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ilkeliani Camp? Share your experiences!