“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ilkeliani Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ilkeliani Camp
Save Saved
You added Ilkeliani Camp to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Masai Mara | P.O Box 64196, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00620, Kenya   |
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My new wife and I stayed here for 3 nights between 10-13th October 2012 for part of our honeymoon which has included staying at 6 different safari lodges.
I have to say they have all been fantastic but ilkeliani has been by far and away the best.
First of the setting is amazing, it's beautiful river canyon running right out side the tents is wonderful and full of wildlife. Laying there at night listening to lions, hyenas and zebra was the most fantastic feeling.
The tents themselves are really well done with wonderful beds and very very good showers (better than nearly every other place we have stayed)
The food is very very good and I couldn't fault it at all it was really nice especially eating the lunches outside by the river canyon. Also my wife who is vegetarian stated that it was the best veggie food she had had in Africa.
Lastly the staff, each and everyone was delightful they were always smiling and interesting. They were very professional yet chatty and fun. I actually felt sad when it came time to leave them and I know my wife felt the same.
I couldn't recommend this site more, I urge anyone who loves nature, camping and Africa to go stay there.

Also try the hot air balloon ride over the mara. We did it and it was one of the best things I have ever done I loved very second if it.

As soon as I have saved enough I will be returning to ilkeliani for another stay!!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

What a great place! Beautiful setting, friendly, helpful staff, lovely tents, animals on the doorstep, I had a visit from a Genet on the first evening on my verandah! Masai escort you to and from your tent after dark. Even provided hot water bottles on the chilly nights! Just fantastic......

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My daughter (13) and I stayed here for 2 nights in June 2012 and had a fantastic experience. The tents were roomy, the hot water plentiful, and the setting beautiful. The tents are private - on the banks of a river. You can sit in front of your tent and watch the baboons play on the banks of the river. The game drives were wonderful with an experienced and friendly driver (Wilson) who led us to cheetah cubs, severals prides of lions, and more wildlife than I can recount. The food was plentiful and good - in a scenic tent on the river with a separate area for lounging and drinks. The setting is really well done to have a minimal impact. We had a nature walk with a Masaii guide which was remarkable - he pointed out a variety of flora and how the Masaii used them. Showed my daughter Masaii games and how to spot traces of animals in the area. But most of all - the people were so friendly and helpful. So kind and easy-going. I would recommend it to anyone. Great value and easy to fly in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New Meadows, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Second trip with Ilkeliani, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2011.
Both trips were special, 3 leopards 2010, 2 leopards 2011, dreams do come true !
My guides, Edward and Wilson, equally superb. Chefs and staff all excellent, hospitality and quality of food excellent! Location on Talek River, excellent. Wonderful tents, hot showers, Maasai guards and house keepers, Perfect !
I recommend a nature walk with local Maasai (Julius) extremely knowledgeable about local ecosystems and Maasai culture, learned so much.
Top notch vehicles, comfortable, always have window seats, guides extremely keen eyed and observant of both birds and mammals.
Can't say enough about how well I was treated. Allow two to four days " At The Camp" for the best experience.
Making plans to return 2012, Best Experiences of my Life !

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Ceres
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

My friend and I only had 2 days and 1 night for a Safari before leaving Kenya. We chose Ilkeliani and were very glad we did. We were met at the airstrip and immediately taken to see Zebra and Giraffe. Petro and Moses were very knowledgeable and attentive to us. Because of heavy rains, our guide we had to find another way to get to camp. We were driven around a back way and met with umbrellas. We were transferred to another jeep and delivered to camp. Our tent was right on the Talek River (which was raging). My friend had a problem walking at the end of the day so they delivered our dinner to our tent. Food was wonderful. Even had hot water bottles in our beds.
Next day, we were given the option to skip breakfast and head straight for the Mara. Petro and Moses packed a wonderful breakfast for us to eat later. We were not disappointed in the safari. Saw so many amazing animals then stopped for breakfast.
Thanks everyone for the wonderful memories. I am looking forward to bringing my husband and kids next time and we will be staying with you!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Mountain Home, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

This was my second stay at Ilkeliani, and it was just as wonderful as the first time. From the moment of our arrival to our very sad to leave goodbye, we were treated with the best hospitality and kindness. The luxury of the rooms is unbelievable! Hot showers after unforgettable days spent animal watching, are just one of the many amenities at Ilkeliani. The grounds are beautiful and the food is delicious. The staff was so friendly and helpful. I felt safe and welcome every moment. I would and have recommended Ilkeliani Camp to many people. This is truly a 5 star operation that is a perfect place to stay when visiting the Masai Mara.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Boise, Idaho, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Ilkeliani was more than I ever could have hoped for. The tents sit just above the river overlooking the Masai Mara. Laying in the tents at night listening to the wildlife all around you was incredible. The staff were all friendly and willing to help. The food was excellent for the entire stay. And sitting around the campfire for sundowners was a lot of fun. I would highly recommend Ilkeliani for anybody who is traveling to the Masai Mara.

Room Tip: I stayed in E5, but all the tents I saw were excellent.