“Just about perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Karen Blixen Camp

Save Saved
You added Karen Blixen Camp to your Saves list
Karen Blixen Camp
5.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   C13 Lolgorien -north-western Masai Mara Reserve-, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Just about perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed here in June 2013 as part of my 60th birthday celebrations. It was a quiet time in camp as ust before great migration. Food was very good- except pre breakfast before early morning safari was not always ready in time and a bit sparse but that could be because only a handful of us there. Service was excellent otherwise. Accommodation brilliant except we had no hot water for most of the time but did not detract from our stay. All our safaris were just amazing. Our guide was superb and thanks to him we saw a cheetah kill which is a rare sight and breakfast one day out under a tree was fab.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

After completing business in Nairobi I needed to immerse myself in nature. A local travel agent recommended several tent camps and I carefully chose the Karen Blixen Camp for their responsible approach to tourism, contribution to the local community and location on the river Mara. It was a perfect decision! I came alone but never felt alone. I had both the privacy and interaction I was looking for and much more. I echo all the other reviews here: the kitchen is outstanding, the game drives suburb, the accommodations comfortable warm and inviting. I loved my tent!!! Number 4 on the bend of the river with the rushing water sound lulling me to sleep at night. There was always plenty of hot water for a wonderful outdoor shower and the food was very good! The staff, however, are the shining stars of this lodge. From the moment I arrived I was made to feel special. From the heart. Robert, the manager, was always there with a smile making sure things were special, I learned so much from Duncan about the animals on the Mara as he took me on game drives, Dunson took good care of my lodging and Kisaka made sure I had everything I needed while dining - overlooking the river and the hippos. I was there 3 nights - 4 days and would have liked to remain longer. I will return!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

There are lots of great tented camps out there but Blixen is great! Tents are perfect, pool in the back divine when it's hot but the best thing is the view in the river bend. Also the place where you eat.......a real treat in every sense of the word!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Had karen blixen been our first stop in Kenya I'd have been impressed - it occupies a fantastic setting on the mara river with daily displays of wildlife from the resident hippos and crocs to the visiting elephants, giraffes, zebra, gazelles and even the odd baboon! The tents are great, the ambience second to none, and the staff are excellent. The food was good but not brilliant, but the wine and pre dinner drinks couldn't be faulted. The safaris themselves are, as you'd expect in the mara, quite fantastic, as are the guides. The downsides? I'm being picky but the mara itself is a little threadbare around the edges -mainly as a consequence of its popularity. But on the private conservancy in which KB is located the land is shared (quite rightly) with the local Masai and their cattle - but if I'm honest this seems to take away a little from the authentic wild safari experience. (Although a visit to a Masai village is definitely worthwhile!) The other slight downside is the access - we discovered that all 'roads' in the area are pretty ropey - but the 10 minute drive off the plateau down to the river side camp is about as bad as it gets, and the land here feels more at the wasteland end of the wilderness spectrum! That said I'm being picky - I'd recommend the place but if I camp back I'd be tempted to stay on the plateau / right in the park.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Myself my husband and his 2 daughters stayed here in August 2013. I cannot speak highly enough of our stay (even though it was too short). The Accommodation, Staff and location are first rate.

Waking up each morning and going onto our veranda which overlooking the Masai river and watching the Hippos play in the early morning sun was amazing.

You are allocated your own guide, and all of the guides are superb and they build up your own itinerary according to your specific needs.

The only think I would recommend if you are taking children with you is too take your own snacks (Chocolates, crisps etc) as the little shop does not provide these.

If I return to Kenya again I will certainly come back to Karen Blixen - thank you for giving us an enjoyable experience on our first trip to Africa.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Arriving at Karen Blixen you instantly feel welcome - the Karen Blixen staff/management went out of their way to make our stay a wonderful unique experience. Eating breakfast/lunch/dinner or just enjoying a cup of coffee with the view to the wild life - just on the other side of the river is truely amazing.
Thank you Karenn Blixen for making our Masai Mara Safari a fantastic and unique experience.
We will be coming back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was fortunate to spend three nights at the Karen Blixen Camp in mid September. Sineal and the rest of his staff were absolutely the best; they know and practice the art of hospitality! From the first moment I arrived, someone was always attentive to my needs . Since I was traveling alone, they made a special effort to seek me out and share their insights into the camp and the breathtaking Maasai Mara. I felt that I was truly taken care of! Can't say enough about the warmth and friendliness of the staff. The accommodations and food were also excellent. My guide for the game drives was extremely knowledgeable, polite, and helpful. It was an experience of a lifetime and I would love to return to this camp someday.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Karen Blixen Camp? Share your experiences!