“An amazing, authentic African experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Karen Blixen Camp

Save Saved
You added Karen Blixen Camp to your Saves list
Karen Blixen Camp
5.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   C13 Lolgorien -north-western Masai Mara Reserve-, Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya   |
Stamford, Connecticut, USA
“An amazing, authentic African experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I just returned from a two week stay to Africa where I was lucky enough to experience three different lodges on Safari and this was my favorite! With only 22 tents and a wonderful staff who really took the time to get to know me and make sure everything was just as I wished, I couldn't have dreamed of a better experience. Derrick, my waiter made sure to bring me refills of whatever I was drinking and even got me another entree because I couldn't make up my mind what to eat. The food was great! The massage in the open-air tent alongside the river was so memorable and felt amazing I even added on another treatment. The driver who picked me up from another camp and brought me to a Masai village where I danced with the women and men and then to a school where I was able to sing and read to the kids was one of the most unforgettable times of my life. This is what I think about daily and will never forget!!! I loved sitting around the campfire at night with visitors from all over the world and the staff who run a teaching kitchen for the local Masai. And, how the manager personally greets you and sits down with you to welcome you and then at the end of the day discusses your drives and answers any questions you have. I needed to change my flight and I was lucky enough that they set that up for me with ease and allowed me to have lunch too. I didn't want to leave :((((

The tent was huge and so comfortable. I loved the day bed on the porch and now wish I was sitting there watching the hippos, elephants, zebras and baboons all living their life while I was lucky enough to be privy enough to watch it! The outdoor shower in the sunlight is such a bonus too!!!! Just make sure to ask for a tent that is not too far from the main area because it can be a 10 minute walk.I forgot to mention I was traveling by myself and everyone made me feel so welcome!!!!!!!!
Thank you for my wonderful experience the staff at Karen Blixen Camp

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I visited the Karen Blixen Camp for the second year in a row. It was every bit as wonderful as I had remembered. We arrived on the flight from Nanyuki at about 11:00am and before we even got to the camp, we had already seen elephants, giraffes, cape buffalo, and many kinds of deer. Lunch was a very nice buffet, and then we were off on our first game drive. Our guide, Nicholas was fantastic! He is wonderfully knowledgable about every living thing on the Mara. Ask him to sing, he has a beautiful voice.
Our tent facing the Mara River was luxurious and comfortable. After a wonderful outdoor shower, we had a lovely dinner, then returned to find the beds turned down with hot water bottles warming them for us. Next morning we had a wonderful buffet breakfast-the omelet bar is fabulous-and off on another game drive, with Nicholas again as our guide. We saw everything we'd seen the day before, as well as lions, a cheetah, and a leopard. Nicholas knows all of the animals by name and where to find them.
Everyone at the camp is helpful and professional, and the tents are wonderful. My only complaint was that the WiFi wasn't working, although cell reception was perfect.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at Karen Blixen in early August 2013. The camp is well appointed, the central area has a great 'old colonial style' feel to it and overlooks the river and the resident hippos. The permanent tents are lovely, just as they look on their website; polished wooden floors, very comfortable bed, good linen. One irritant was very poor lighting in the bathroom; my husband had to shine a torch at the mirror above the basin in order for me to put my contact lenses in. But we were there in overcast weather, perhaps it's better when sunny.
Food was ok, but not spectacular.
The one negative for me was the situation; the camp is in the Mara North conservancy, not the Mara National park. (It is alongside). This means that the camp is only a few km's from a Masai village and the route into and out of the camp passes cattle, goats, sheep, dogs and people. The game viewing was superb, particularly the pride of more than 21 lion, with cubs. But to get to them one had to travel an appalling road (really off-road track) and past the local community.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This camp was the highlight of a 10 trip to East Africa. Another couple, my husband and I spent 3 nights there. The setting is lovely, the people friendly and helpful and the safaris outstanding. Everyone stays inluxurious tents with complete bathrooms and beautiful verandahs overlooking the Mara river. The beds were comfortable and we enjoyed the hot water bottles in the bed at night.

We took 4 different safari trips while we were there. Each one was different, we saw different animals including 4 male lions which were magnificent. We took one early morning trip in which we were served a picnic breakfast overlooking the river where we could see hippos, crocodiles, baboons and many birds.

Try to plan your stay so you can spend a morning watching the animals come down to the river. The morning we did that we saw elephants, giraffes, elands, gazelles, zebras and hippos. The hippos are always there and if you wake up in the night you will hear them grunting.

In short, we highly recommend Karen Blixen Camp.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Fantasic location, fabulous accommodation, wonderful service, professional staff, great guides. Awesome time and a wonderful safair expereince. I stayed with my wife and mum and we had an amazing safari expereince! We got to see the big 5 and the ugly 5, many times over, but different prides and locations etc each time. Saw the migration across the Mara River twice - something ticked off the bucket list. From the camp, and without leaving acommodation you could see crocs, hippos, giraffes, elephants, warthogs, bamboons and gazelles... And once you went on safari you go to see these and much more. A trip to the local school and Maasai Village is a must. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in No. 6 which was a great location - close to the water, close to the dinning room and cl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was a truly amazing place to stay. We stayed 4 nights and had 5 days of safaris. A family of 5 with 3 teenagers. Even the most reticent of the teens was blown away by the beautiful setting and luxurious riverside tents. We had the same waiter for the 5 days who the kids grew very fond of, and who looked after our every need. Our table was always somewhere different, overlooking the hippos on the opposite bank, and what ever else stopped by! On the last night it was right on the riverside surrounded with lanterns for my birthday! We also had the same driver for our whole stay, a lovely lady called Lornnah, who was really friendly and knew just where to find the wildlife and pitched it just right for the whole family. She took us on morning and evening drives, a whole day to the Mara, to the Masai village and school, and chased the wilderbeast to the river crossing in style. We couldn't have seen more animals and big cats and were delighted by the whole experience. Free wifi was also a hit with the teens; the whole trip was on instagram before I could blink! Upon moving to the coast, we all felt bereft!

Room Tip: the rooms are all fairly near and on the riverside.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mombasa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Was in the camp with a couple of friends.in July 2013. Had been there before in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. Was there because of the position on the river and the service had always been average. I don't know what hit me this time. The service has improved so much under the new management it's really unbelievable. From 2-3 stars then to 5 if not 6 stars now.Congratulations to the new management. Keep it up and we will be back again and again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Karen Blixen Camp? Share your experiences!