“Great camp” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mara Timbo Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mara Timbo Camp
Save Saved
You added Mara Timbo Camp to your Saves list
Masai Mara, Triangle | near Olololo-Gate, Maasai Mara National Reserve 00621, Kenya   |
Iowa
“Great camp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

This camp has wonderful staff and provided excellent service. It was just what we needed after driving in from Nairobi. Massage after dinner was incredible and put me to sleep. Food was excellent and the accomodations were very private and comfortable. I only wish we had stayed longer.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

The Masai Mara itself is outstanding, but what made the real difference for our 6 days were the people at the Mara Timbo Camp! Every aspect of service and hospitality was very friendly and personal: meals were very nice, including some special request (try the local Ugali, it is an experience!), room service, laundry service, nights at the bar, massage, area guards, and last but not least the guiding on the safari trips (we were astonished what they spotted where we only saw grass). Any aspect of the infrastructure is very clean and perfect (bed, bathrooms, area), the team takes utmost care and tries to accommodate for any request. The camp is located in a conservation area next to the Masai Mara, therewith even the drive to the Camp itself is a safari already, you may explore unexpected animals, landscape and vegetation! And every meal at the Camp is unique, not only because of the great food that you enjoy under African skies (or stars during dinner), but also because the Hippos in the river right next to the lunch and dining area are always ready for a unique 'performance'.

Room Tip: I think it really does not matter which tent/house you choose, anyone is just great!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

Mara Timbo blew our mind. went for long weekend with Friends and kids to run mara marathon. Marathon was horrifically organised (but stunning). Mara Timbo was brilliant. The tents are pure luxury, food was great, and the staff is absolutely unbelievable. Nothing is to much trouble, they entertained the kids every waking hour. Setting is on the Mara River, small camp - go you won't regret it.

Room Tip: All rooms a brilliant, we have 2 boys 8 and 6, so the family tent is perfect - own rooms!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011 via mobile

Mara Timbo is bush beautiful, has a tasteful feel and amazing staff. I loved the fact that you are served by one person from day one and this makes it so easy.I loved the bathtub outside the tent. Soaking after a game drive was amazing

• Stayed April 2011
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I was very anxious about the camp, its location etc., but when we reached this camp, we were welcomed with warm towels and some cold refreshing drinks. The manager and others made us feel very welcome and lunch was arranged by the hippo pool. It was absolutely fantastic. And what can I say about the food. Awesome! I am a vegetarian and was wondering if I would have much choice and how would the food be, but special meals were served for me and it was fantastic. We were the only guests at that time, so I thought that there won't be a camp fire specially for us at the night. but I was wrong. When we reached the camp after an afternoon safari, we were led to the camp fire location and there was a table set up for us, for dinner. The sky was full of amazing shining stars. We also got a massage from Freya. She is a wonderful lady with a smile always on her face.

The camp itself is very spacious, clean with a very high standard of cleanliness. I loved the place and I'd highly recommend it. Although I must say that the road to the camp is rough and bumpy....but we got used to it and my 10yr old enjoyed the bumps! Wish I had stayed there longer, as we were booked only for 2 nights. I would've loved to spend a day just by the hippo pool lazing.

Room Tip: The room we had was by itself separate from all other rooms. And there are only 9-11 rooms. So makes...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

My husband and I have been on safari in Kenya for the last 5 years in a row. In fact we were married on safari our first year with all of our family with us. The Mara is such a beautiful place and all of the experiences we have had there have been exceptional. The Mara Timbo camp was unique to all the other camps as it is more of a private setting. If you do not want to have to share your safari with the crowds I definitely recommend this camp. The tents and grounds are exactly as you see them in the pictures. We were blown away to find that every tent was in excellent condition and the wildlife was right at your door step. In fact, they station Masai guards at your door at night to make sure that none of the animals find there way in! We had hippos in view at every meal as our dining tables were set up outdoors by the river. The relaxing sound of the river flowing, the outdoor baths and porch swings in every tent made for a very relaxing time. The food was excellent and the staff were kind and ready to meet our every need. We loved having a personal staff member for each tent. This is not your large safari camp, with big buffets for your meals and lots of other travelers around. It is quiet, tranquil and more "in nature" than we have experienced in the past. The trip from Nairobi is bumpy for a lot of the ride but we saw many animals along the way. As we pulled up to the camp there were herds of elephants grazing on the trees! We would definitely stay at Mara Timbo again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We had a wonderful time at Mara Timbo and the service was exceptional. The staff (Gideon, Felictas, all the security men and our guide Charles) went out of their way to ensure we have a memorable and enjoyable experience. The camp itself was very beautiful and we had a bathtub outside our room :-). I will certainly go back to Mara Timbo and also suggest it to people I know.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Mara Timbo Camp? Share your experiences!