“WOW. There are no words for how incredible Peponi is!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Box 24, Lamu Island, Kenya   |
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Lamu Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle WA
“WOW. There are no words for how incredible Peponi is!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

My girlfriend and I lived / volunteered in Kenya for a year in a very stressful environment. Our last week in Africa we spent at Peponi with our moms. Peponi exceeded our expectations and took every ounce of stress away. The staff is AMAZING ... so helpful, personable, and attentive. Carol is a wonderful woman who knows how to run a five star establishment. There are very few beaches and settings left in the world like Shela and Peponi. It is simply magical. My girlfriend and I have already decided this is where we want to get married. We have been all over the world and this is the most romantic place we have ever been. Thank you for an unforgettable stay. I hope there will be many more in the future.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

We spent 3 nights here as part of our honeymoon and had an amazingly relaxing and chilled time. It was absolutely perfect.

The whole hotel has lots of little nooks and crannies for you to relax in - either in the sun or the shade. The pool area is gorgeous - both in the daytime - and also at night where they set up a few tables for dinner - all lit up by candles and lanterns - stunning!

The food was absolutely delicious with a huge choice. The prices are London prices - but the food was superb. Everything from sushi to amazing curries to delicious fresh fish etc. Make sure you save room for pudding too!! We ate on the veranda and by the pool. You can also have breakfast served on your private veranda should you choose to.

Service was good - although not quite as smiley and happy as we encountered in other parts of our Kenyan trip.

The only reason I am not marking Peponi as 5* is down to the rooms. Ours was very spacious superior room with a huge bed and a veranda right on the sea front. The decor is in keeping with the property and the island and is very understated and relaxed. Perfect for what we were looking for, but in no way 5* (but then they are not claiming to be a 5* hotel!!).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

Ran by an obnoxious and arrogant woman with a false sense of her own importance - treats guests like it is a honour for you to be spending your money in her establishment . Prices are ludicrous in the restaurant for a place where staff are paid 3 pounds a day and treated with disdain. Here you pay top end london prices the whole place smacks of greed - The ski boat which is an old thing with an outboard on the back is 150 US dollars an hour , and try the game fishing at 1200 dollars ..and you have to buy the fish back. As for the patio area, its frequented by a regular bunch of pretencious hoorays - a thoroughly horrible place. The peoponi runs by default, as there is not a great deal of choice on the island and it has a captive market.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I spent one night at Peponi's and had a wonderful stay... I love the fact that this hotel is still run by the owners and that they are still so involved. Their is also definately something to be said for barefoot management - I love it! That said I passionately hate large hotels run by hospitality school graduates who can't hold a normal conversation... At Peponi's you will find all sorts and more and everyonee likes to chat.

The rooms are fairly small for the price BUT the hotel itself is charming with lots of different areas to sit/sunbath and a rather magical pool overlooking the water sandwiched between two massive old baobab trees.

The restuarant and food were really good and our food was spot on... they even have a gluten-free menu !?!? Definately a first for lodges/hotels in Africa.

We did a tour of Lamu town with a guide which was well worth it, we then had lunch at Lamu House (delicious) and walked back along the waterfront the Shela Village. I highly recommend this to everyone. Lamu has a fascinating history and the architecture is lovely.

• Stayed July 2009
Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

A wonderful experience overall; staff/owners go out of their way to make sure guests are comfortable. Other guests are lovely. My husband had to work and could not join me so I traveled alone, which can be a problem in some resort situations but not here. I work as an advocate for African children, and I was intrigued to learn that the owners send local island children through school and invite the locals to drink at the bar. A very egalitarian establishment which is not always the norm in the world of exotic luxury resorts. Rooms were absolutely perfect--tasteful and comfortable. Food fresh and well presented. Highly recommend the snorkeling trip/picnic. I loved my visit, and I convinced my husband to return with me next year.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

A wonderful, relaxing experience.
Tony Roberts,Cambridge 12th February 2009

I am amazed and perplexed at reading some of the spiteful comments contained in recent reviews.
We have just returned from our 2nd stay in Peponi and expect to visit on many more occasions.
The setting is lovely and it is hard to better the sunrise over the water and Manda Island and then followed by an early walk along a truly magnificent beach before breakfast. The hotel is not 5 star, but star ratings do not apply in Lamu. Peponi is extremely comfortable and clean, very well maintained with superb service from all levels of staff, many of whom have spent most of their working lives at Peponi. Management and in particular the owners, are extremely competent,attentive and friendly.
The bar is a truly multicultural, multilingual watering hole and is obviously 'the place' on Lamu to meet and socialise.
The restaurant which offers dining inside or 'al fresco ' on the verandah overlooking the sea is of a very high standard and serves excellent fish and sea food in particular.
For accommodation the choice is between 'standard' or 'superior'.
For most guests, the standard rooms are more than acceptable offering large beds, plenty of space and comfortable external verandahs and sitting areas.
Overall Peponi is a wonderful place to escape from the rest of the world whilst enjoying the old charm of Lamu Island.

Somerset, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

We have stayed at Peponi on several occasions over the years and I am a little surprised by some of the vehemence in some recent reviews.

I guess the most important fact in my opening is that we have returned on many trips. On each of those trips we invariably meet other guests who do the same as us, returning on numerous occasions.

As has been said in many reviews before me, Peponi is a unique hotel in a unique location. To be able to walk on the beach at sunrise, pass the day either at the pool, in the palm garden, in your own hammock through to a sun-downer on the verandah adds up to a pretty relaxing place to spend some time.

We love the way that each room is different to the next, dotted around in the grounds. It makes it easy to have your own private family time.

Much has been said below about the staff, both in the level of service and their treatment. All I can say is what I have observed. We have always found the staff most friendly, always striving to please and we have never once had any cause for complaint. Regarding the hotel's treatment of its staff; we have never seen any signs of distress in the staff and many of them have worked at the hotel for longer than we have been going there. I would say it is not possible for someone to hide any discontent for that long, so my conclusion is that they must be treated well and fairly.

Finally (you will be glad to read!); I think that as a guest you either do or don't "get" Peponi. Remember that this is Africa; it is not Dubai! Think about what you expect and your reasons for going here. If you are clear about this and are not just going because it is "the " place to go on Lamu then you will not be disappointed I think.

• Liked — Location, friendliness of staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Peponi Hotel? Share your experiences!