What a Hotel, the best boutique hotel in east Africa let alone Lamu. I have been to some nice places over the last few years and I honestly enjoyed this one the most.
You need to fly into Lamu by a local carrier and travel 10 minutes by boat to Manda Island or they can send a propeller plane to pick you up – well worth the money for the experience alone.
The moment I arrived I knew it was going to be special. The place oozes class, tradition and culture. Lamu feels like a new dimension, a place that time forgot. It is a destination that is very much underrated and over looked.
The rooms are all villa style and done to suit the surroundings and heritage. They have rare works of art on the walls, as do the communal areas. They are extremely comfortable and relaxing. Waking up to the sounds of the ocean and the morning prayers in the distance really chilled us out.
We spent a lot of time playing cards, reading and sipping drinks in the lounge each evening, or just sitting by the fire basking in the quality surroundings. You could spend a lot of time here just doing nothing, reflecting on your thoughts, studying the various paintings and sculptures, reading or chatting with the staff and other guests. If you prefer you can be active doing fishing, bike riding or various water sports. The hotel can organise day trips on one of the boats they have or provide day tours to the world heritage site and markets etc.
The service and food were superb, especially the seafood, some of the best I have ever eaten. I saw the local fisherman coming in each morning. I spoke to one of them, he told me they stop here before going to the markets, you just cannot get fresher sea food. Most of the dishes are International, Italian or local and are included in the generous full board meal plan, they will accept all meal requests they can accommodate.
I can highly recommend a visit here if you are planning a trip to Kenya, just what you need after a safari or to completely escape for a week. It was a great way to finish the trip of a lifetime.
- Also Known As:
- The Majlis Lamu Ltd Hotel Lamu Island
- The Majlis Lamu Ltd Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Idyllic, luxurious, stylish, unique, …the Majlis resort is a privately-owned luxury beach hotel on the north coast of Kenya in the Indian ocean. Designed and built to reflect Lamu’s heritage tradition, The Majlis combines 25 superbly appointed luxury air-conditioned suites built with Western comforts and local tradition. State-of-the-art facilities include two bars, a gourmet restaurant, two swimming pools and an activity center which graciously co-ordinates a wide variety of full day experiences for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your The Majlis Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.