“Nice hotel, wrong name!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nairobi
Save Saved
You added Country Lodge to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2nd Ngong Avenue | Upper Hill, PO Box 40842, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #16 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, wrong name!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

I stayed one night with my girlfriends 6 year old daughter, who was added as a last minute due to a change in plans. The hotel made sure I got a twin instead of a single or double, and check in was simple - tho there was a bit of a wait - not the hotels fault the guy in front was having difficutly paying with his cards. (I did keep an eye to see if they would start huffing - but they were very professional and understanding).

Really the only thing I can fault with this hotel is it's name. It gives the impression you'll be staying in a log cabin, surrounded by wildlife. It should be called something like Highlife as it's actually a ultramodern, city/business, style hotel with spacious rooms, large HOT powershowers, free wifi that works most of the time. Some of the rooms (including mine) do over look a park - giving a country feel. For a city location it's fairly quiet. The main requirements for me in this type of hotel are : Can you hear traffic - NO, can you hear other guests coming and going - NO, can you stay cool - YES, can you get to the city quickly - YES. Can you get to restaurants and shops easily - YES. So a Pass. I'll write a review of the Fairview Restaurant separately! :-(

Actually - I do have one little complaint - when you are paying circa £100 a night for a room, why do they insist on giving you a thimble for a juice glass? (Rant over). The rest of breakfast was nice with a selection of cerals, breads and fruits available and a chef who'll knock you up an omlette - make sure you include chilli ;-)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Berkshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

Stayed at the Country Lodge on a recent trip. I found it clean and quiet for a very reasonable price. It was nice to have the breakfast included in the price. Staff were approachable. Rooms were spacious with a good walk-in shower. Large work-top with plenty of power point. Wi-Fi internet access was free, reception will provide user id and password. There is a drinks and snacks vending machine just off the lobby.
Minor things that disappointed me were, the TVs are small 14" ones which are stuck on a shelf and you have to wave the remote around to get the TV to change channel. There are no newspapers in the hotel, so you have to go to the Fairview next door just to get a paper. Check out is 10am which leaves a very long wait if your flight out is 11pm at night. They would only give me an extra hour for late check-out. I was told the bar closes at 10pm, so I would usually go out somewhere else for a drink.
As I say these are minor issues compared to the saving on cost of a good clean room with breakfast and internet access..

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Gympie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Hey there,
We stayed there on a few occasions last year as a base from which to do trips from/to Rwanda, Masaii Mara and Tanzania.
It was a fantastic place to come to after these trips where we had all the modern comforts and were close to the shops etc we required for the next stage of journey. The staff were wonderful and helpful. The breakfast fantastic. Check out the hotel next door for lunch and dinner. What a treat! The area is extremely secure. Make sure you do not get a room above the Gym as the early morning treadmillers can do your head in!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

The Country Lodge was our hub hotel in Nairobi & we spent several nights there with days apart.
The staff welcomed us wonderfully whenever we returned.
The rooms were spotlessly clean & quiet considering we were only minutes from the centre of Nairobi. Ceiling fan was a tad noisy, so did not use during the night.
Bathroom was a delight, proving that it is possible to have hot showers & toilets that work.
There a a few facilities - mini gym, small garden & restaurant for breakfast only.
Breakfast was more than adequate & served food you would recognise! Believe me this was important compared to some places we stayed.
The Fairview sister hotel served good meals for lunch & dinner & was not too expensive. Also, it is possible to use the pool there, too.
All in all we enjoyed our stays in the Country Lodge & would recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Countrylodge, Owner at Country Lodge, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
Thanks for your feedback compliments and for recommending us.

Clarification on the Fairview hotel pool: It is strictly for Fairview residents and Country Lodge guests are not allowed to use the pool at Fairview (not even for a fee). Country Lodge will consider a pool in future.

Daniel
Director
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

OK, let's start with the one big complaint. I printed a boarding pass in the "business centre" after being told it would be 50/= (shillings). I had to wait for them to load the printer paper and some other glitches, and the whole operation took four minutes. They charged me for the four minutes, bringing the bill for one piece of lousy paper to 110/=. That's not just outrageous, it's insane.

Next, the one little complaint, then we'll move on to the good stuff. The fitness center is lame. A treadmill, an elliptical (they have two rooms, each with one of these) and very little else. At least invest in a few dumbells.

That said, this is a nicely-situated place with a very good price for what you get and where you are. The WiFi was outstanding, they have lots of access points and you pick the one with the strongest signal and you're in business. WiFi is included in the price of the room, and it's very low-BS -- unlike many US hotels where you have to jump through a bunch of stupid hoops just to connect. The username / PW is straightforward and will work with any operating system.

The room was clean and spacious (I stayed in the lowest "economy" rate room.) The shower was the best hotel shower I've ever seen -- a GREAT high-flow nozzle. Maybe not the most ecologically responsible thing considering it's Africa, but I still loved it.

There is a squadron of taxi drivers that hangs out right outside the door. They're not obnoxious or high-pressure, or anything, but they are there if you need them. Negotiate all prices in advance. DO NOT WALK ANYWHERE AFTER DARK IN THIS AREA, as there are wild dogs that will mess you up real bad. No joke. Oh, yeah, and Uhuru Park (ironically enough) is full of vicious criminal gangs after dark. Just take a taxi.

Breakfast (included in the price of the room) was the best hotel spread I've seen in Africa, not counting the ritzy safari places in South Africa. It was really excellent.

Nairobi's expensive, and that's all there is to it. You can spend three times the $$$ for the same room at the Fairview next door, or you can get a nice place for a reasonable value at the Country Lodge next door. I know where I'm going when I return to Nairobi.

Only four stars because I have a very high bar for five stars ... but for "value" this is the best you're going to do in central Nairobi!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Countrylodge, Owner at Country Lodge, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Thanks for your feedback and compliments.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience with the printing of your boarding pass. The extra charge should not have escalated to you considering that it was the printer and not your computer usage time in the business centre that was the issue. Please let us know how we can refund the amount charged as we do not believe in charging for services not enjoyed.

Daniel
Director
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

If you need a centrally located place to chill out from the craziness of Nairobi, consider the Country Lodge. My husband thought the rooms had a Scandinavian feel, I went for upscale college dorm room, but whatever, it was ultra clean, quiet, and the breakfast was excellent, the best we had on our 2 weeks in Kenya. Like many hotels in Nairobi, walking around is discouraged, but next door to Country Lodge is the Fairmont hotel which has a range of dining options for dinner and lunch.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Nagoya, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

This is a return visit to Country Lodge, after staying there in June 2010 during their construction of a new wing. I had the pleasure of staying in the new wing, and was very happy.
The new wing's rooms are slightly smaller than the old wing. Their layout is generally the same as the old wing. And, when I say old, it doesn't mean the rooms are old. The new and old wings look very much the same, and are modern in style.
I was very happy when several of the front house staff, and the breakfast lady staff recognized me from my previous trip! Even one lady, Jane, remembered where I am from! That is very impressive, as they must see hundreds of people a week. That made me feel right at home.
The new wing remains up to Country Lodge standards as it is very clean and modestly appointed. It has new tvs which is nice. The beds are comfortable, not soft nor hard. The wi-fi is fine. I had some difficulty with video Skype, but that would be the case with any wi-fi. If you need to use video, then bring a wi-fi booster. Otherwise, voice Skype can run fine with their wi-fi.
The only fault I must state with the new wing is that it over looks a construction site, and it can be noisy after 9am to about 5pm. There is no a/c in the rooms, so leaving the windows open is the only way to get air. However, the room was never hot, even during this warm season, so I was never uncomfortable. Being Canadian, I like cooler rooms, and was pleasantly surprised the room was never uncomfortable.
I noticed the exercise room has an addition on the new wing. Looks really nice, but forgot to bring my athletic gear.
The breakfast room was busy in the morning, but Country Lodge had the foresight to add another nice room to handle the increase in guests. I never had to wait long for an omelette, and didn't feel crowded. The coffee is excellent, and the breakfast offerings are more than sufficient.
Once again I had a very pleasant stay, and look forward to returning in January to my home away from home in Nairobi.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Country Lodge? Share your experiences!