“Pretty nice place, good value for $$$” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nairobi
Save Saved
You added Country Lodge to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2nd Ngong Avenue | Upper Hill, PO Box 40842, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #17 of 103 Hotels in Nairobi
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Pretty nice place, good value for $$$”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

OK, let's start with the one big complaint. I printed a boarding pass in the "business centre" after being told it would be 50/= (shillings). I had to wait for them to load the printer paper and some other glitches, and the whole operation took four minutes. They charged me for the four minutes, bringing the bill for one piece of lousy paper to 110/=. That's not just outrageous, it's insane.

Next, the one little complaint, then we'll move on to the good stuff. The fitness center is lame. A treadmill, an elliptical (they have two rooms, each with one of these) and very little else. At least invest in a few dumbells.

That said, this is a nicely-situated place with a very good price for what you get and where you are. The WiFi was outstanding, they have lots of access points and you pick the one with the strongest signal and you're in business. WiFi is included in the price of the room, and it's very low-BS -- unlike many US hotels where you have to jump through a bunch of stupid hoops just to connect. The username / PW is straightforward and will work with any operating system.

The room was clean and spacious (I stayed in the lowest "economy" rate room.) The shower was the best hotel shower I've ever seen -- a GREAT high-flow nozzle. Maybe not the most ecologically responsible thing considering it's Africa, but I still loved it.

There is a squadron of taxi drivers that hangs out right outside the door. They're not obnoxious or high-pressure, or anything, but they are there if you need them. Negotiate all prices in advance. DO NOT WALK ANYWHERE AFTER DARK IN THIS AREA, as there are wild dogs that will mess you up real bad. No joke. Oh, yeah, and Uhuru Park (ironically enough) is full of vicious criminal gangs after dark. Just take a taxi.

Breakfast (included in the price of the room) was the best hotel spread I've seen in Africa, not counting the ritzy safari places in South Africa. It was really excellent.

Nairobi's expensive, and that's all there is to it. You can spend three times the $$$ for the same room at the Fairview next door, or you can get a nice place for a reasonable value at the Country Lodge next door. I know where I'm going when I return to Nairobi.

Only four stars because I have a very high bar for five stars ... but for "value" this is the best you're going to do in central Nairobi!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Countrylodge, Owner at Country Lodge, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Thanks for your feedback and compliments.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience with the printing of your boarding pass. The extra charge should not have escalated to you considering that it was the printer and not your computer usage time in the business centre that was the issue. Please let us know how we can refund the amount charged as we do not believe in charging for services not enjoyed.

Daniel
Director
Country Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

If you need a centrally located place to chill out from the craziness of Nairobi, consider the Country Lodge. My husband thought the rooms had a Scandinavian feel, I went for upscale college dorm room, but whatever, it was ultra clean, quiet, and the breakfast was excellent, the best we had on our 2 weeks in Kenya. Like many hotels in Nairobi, walking around is discouraged, but next door to Country Lodge is the Fairmont hotel which has a range of dining options for dinner and lunch.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Nagoya, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

This is a return visit to Country Lodge, after staying there in June 2010 during their construction of a new wing. I had the pleasure of staying in the new wing, and was very happy.
The new wing's rooms are slightly smaller than the old wing. Their layout is generally the same as the old wing. And, when I say old, it doesn't mean the rooms are old. The new and old wings look very much the same, and are modern in style.
I was very happy when several of the front house staff, and the breakfast lady staff recognized me from my previous trip! Even one lady, Jane, remembered where I am from! That is very impressive, as they must see hundreds of people a week. That made me feel right at home.
The new wing remains up to Country Lodge standards as it is very clean and modestly appointed. It has new tvs which is nice. The beds are comfortable, not soft nor hard. The wi-fi is fine. I had some difficulty with video Skype, but that would be the case with any wi-fi. If you need to use video, then bring a wi-fi booster. Otherwise, voice Skype can run fine with their wi-fi.
The only fault I must state with the new wing is that it over looks a construction site, and it can be noisy after 9am to about 5pm. There is no a/c in the rooms, so leaving the windows open is the only way to get air. However, the room was never hot, even during this warm season, so I was never uncomfortable. Being Canadian, I like cooler rooms, and was pleasantly surprised the room was never uncomfortable.
I noticed the exercise room has an addition on the new wing. Looks really nice, but forgot to bring my athletic gear.
The breakfast room was busy in the morning, but Country Lodge had the foresight to add another nice room to handle the increase in guests. I never had to wait long for an omelette, and didn't feel crowded. The coffee is excellent, and the breakfast offerings are more than sufficient.
Once again I had a very pleasant stay, and look forward to returning in January to my home away from home in Nairobi.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

We had a 12 hour layover at Nairobi airport and stayed at Country Lodge overnight. We arrived around 10 PM and the driver from the hotel met us as arranged. We got to the room and had a much needed shower and went in search of the bar or restaurant. Unfortunately, we were told everything was closed. This was around 10.45 pm. Luckily we weren’t hungry and managed to get someone from the adjoining restaurant to bring us some drinks. I only actually saw the hotel in the dark but it struck me as a strange affair, a bit like a conference centre, rather soul less but perfectly clean and functional. There seemed to be a couple of gyms but not much else on site. The room was OK - no frills but clean and modern, a bit like an Ibis hotel room in Europe. It took around 20minutes from the airport but that was at night and early morning-I’d leave 40 minutes in the middle of the day. In summary, the hotel was fine for what we needed but for the price I was surprised that there was no restaurant open beyond 10.30.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Countrylodge, Owner at Country Lodge, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Country Lodge is a limited food and beverage service hotel with no restaurants. This is indicated on our website and in every communication during the reservations process. However, there is a delivery service from the nearby restaurants until 11 pm. The room rate and the facilities offered are based on good value for money and functionality. Our product offering is consistent with similar limited service hotels such as like Hampton Inn (owned by Hilton), Fairfield Inn (owned by Marriott) and City Lodge. Our clientele is primarily the business traveller and s/he appreciates the peace and quiet of the hotel. Our occupancy rates of 95% reflect that our hotel is highly sought after!

Perhaps next time try our sister hotel, The Fairview!

Daniel
Director
Arusha, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

Apart from lack of few services need to be provided like newspapers in the rooms,other things remain to be excellent and I really enjoyed staying with country lodge hotel hope to come back again in future!Its my hope that you will continue to stick to the fulfilment of the customer's needs and thus cupturing the whole market in Nairobi.Thanks for staying with you.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Stayed here in between safari and climbing mount kenya. The hotel is very clean and in a great location. It's walking distance into the centre, as well as being far away from the busy centre of Nairobi. Security is excellent here too. One night we stayed here there was no hot water due to a power cut. They contacted us saying there were deducting 20% off the bill, I was shocked and very pleased they did this. As this would never happen in Nairobi. I would stay here again as its so clean and comfortable. The breakfast is adequate too. I do think this hotel is a little pricey for what it is. The fairview hotel next door is a lot nicer and only slightly dearer. Would of stayed there but was fully booked. Great hotel though and would stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Chester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

Stayed for almost five weeks and never had a problem. Rooms comfortable and adequately furnished.Large desk space giving good working area. It is an excellent business hotel with good food next door in the Fairview. Very high standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel. Superb WiFi giving excellent communications, internet and Skype.
I could not fault Country Lodge and eventually gave up trying to find something wrong.
Next time in Nairobi, it is my preferred place to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Country Lodge? Share your experiences!