“Not sure” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Country Lodge

You added Country Lodge to your Saves list
Country Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2nd Ngong Avenue | Upper Hill, PO Box 40842, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #19 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Baltimore, MD
“Not sure”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

Used to be my favorite. I have stayed here on and off over the last couple of years. Started well, but now I have mixed feelings about this place. Reservation is now a nightmare, and the staff make it look as though you've entered the kingdom to stay here. Last stay, I was left waiting at the airport for their transportation for about three hours for their organized (not free) transport.

When i was there, they were adding a new wing, did not even care to let me know they had construction going on. I used to like this place as home, but think i will slowly drift back to their sister location Fairview, at least things are more predictable down there. I also think the place is poorly designed. Besides, everything is overdone in a somewhat cheap way (see pictures). Hope they replace the Circa 1900's televisions

Overall, will struggle to stay again, and won't recommend.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I used this hotel either side of a volunteering (and safari) stint in Kenya in August and September this year. Found the staff very helpful on all matters and really enjoyed the breakfast buffet (staff there friendly as well). As with everything in travel it really helps if you smile and are friendly too, then the other person opens up as well. My first visit saw me in the "older" (if you can call it that) area where I had a big room. On my return visit they were very helpful when I asked to move from the new "swish" room they had given me to the area I was in the first time. And the third time I was there I had asked to be placed in a lower floor (just so I could have a better view) and they were great with that as well .. The showers were amazingly hot and powerful. The garden area was great for reading and having friends visit. It took me less than 10 minutes to walk down to the city centre for shopping from the hotel. The free wireless internet was great for laptop users and there was also an internet centre. The only thing I would say is that the things that Trip Advisor say are right nearby are not .. but the hotel has taxis there that will take you to them anyway. I will be returning to Nairobi a lot more in the future I think and I will always be hoping to stay at this hotel. To the staff there - it was a wonderful trip to Kenya for me and your hotel and helpfulness at either end of the trip really was the icing on the cake for me. Knowing I had you to come back to after my volunteer work before flying out was a real bonus .. thanks .. :-)

Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

I stayed in the Country Lodge before and after my safari to the Mara and thought it was quite clean and nice, but not necessary for our travels. The room was sterile, which is nice in Africa, but lacked character. It felt almost new-dorm like.

The worst part about this hotel was their staff's attitude toward non-business guests and the fact that they charged for essentially a continental breakfast. We also had to pay $10 for 30 minutes at their 'business center' that failed to print. For $140 a night, ANYWHERE in East Africa should do better.

When we wanted to walk to Nairobi's city center (about 15 minutes on foot) we basically had to escape the hotel because they were insistent upn taking a taxi, even in daylight. That was unnecessary. They also pushed a very expensive cab on us when we wanted to explore the outskirts of the city (rhino/elephant orphanage, blixen giraffe center, etc). All in all, they were sassy-enough to deny us anything outside of what was in the explicit accommodation details but quick to find us expensive options on ways to do things.

A nice hotel trying to sell itself as upscale, but completely lacking in service staff and mentality. Get better, Country Lodge.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

The Country Lodge is perfect for travellers seeking a quiet upmarket place to stay. Stayed there for one night - room service was good and so was the food; wifi fast; quiet and safe. Left too early for breakfast. Bed was comfortable but should you feel cold in the night you can always ask for an extra duvet - or so I learned when the Hotel Director personally emailed me in reponse to a comment I had made about the cold in their evaluation form!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

I spent 5 nights in the hotel traveling for business in Nairobi.
The hotel is located in a very safe area of Nairobi. Rooms are pretty basic, nothing fancy. You'll get a decent breakfast and it's possible to use the nice restaurants of the Fairview hotel, located nearby. High speed internet and a helpful staff are also a plus.
The hotel offers very good value for price (compared to the standard Nairobi hotels). Its main problem is location. You can only travel to the city by taxi, which tend to be expensive in general and even more expensive if you catch it right from the hotel. If you don't want to take a taxi, It'll take you at least 20-25 minutes to walk from the hotel to one of the touristic attractions.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Frostburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

We stayed one night before going on a safari. The hotel is very clean, with comfortable rooms . Breakfast was good. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2010
Colombo-7
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

we stayed in this Hotel for two nights. the Hotel was very clean and tidy with all the necessary facilities. the high speed free WIFI should be given full credit because it was most convenient. The family room was excellent if traveling with kids. but a triple bedroom concept can be a good thing this Hotel can follow. Also, a restaurant can add more value to this Hotel. Anyway overall experience was fantastic. hope to come again to this Hotel soon.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Country Lodge? Share your experiences!