“Great value - booked my next stay on checkout!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nairobi
Country Lodge
2nd Ngong Avenue | Upper Hill, PO Box 40842, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #16 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Kisumu, Kenya
“Great value - booked my next stay on checkout!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

I stayed here for one night in August and found it to be incredibly good value.

Staff at the reception desk were very efficient - check in took about 90 seconds. I was offered (without asking) the code for wireless internet and it was the best internet connection I've had in Africa - I even managed to make a skype video call on it! Breakfast was basic but nice and the food at the restaraunt next door in the Fairview where I had dinner was excellent.

I used the small gym during my stay. It only has three machines - one treadmill, one stepper machine and one exercise bike - but it's a useful facility and the machines seem to be brand new.

The only negative remark is that the rooms do lack a bit of character. However, as this is not a "destination hotel", I don't think this is really a requirement. The hotel is a base for a person visiting Nairobi and the rooms are immaculately clean and very comfortable and the shower (in my room at least) was an excellent one. I will be in Nairobi again at the beginning of September - I booked my room in the Country Lodge at checkout!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Dubai UAE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I stayed here for a night on my own, a woman, while my husband was in hospital.

The location is good and it is very clean and efficient. Nothing too glamorous and not the kind of place you would want to chill out in during the day. It's an ideal stop-over for people who want to explore nairobi ( not too far from the elephant orphanage, a must-see) and for business travellers.

No frills but none needed for us in this case. Decent value for money considering how expensive hotels in nairobi can be.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Affordable, clean, modern, and safe. A wonderful hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Cambodia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. The service and the quality of the room were so poor it made for a terrible start to my vacation. Uncomfortable bed, incredibly thin walls so you hear your neighbors and wake up when they do, inflexible and rude staff and to top it all off construction noises in the morning!

Sleep - the bed was very uncomfortable and too small, the walls are so thin I was woken up by neighbors leaving at 6:30am and then again at 8:00 and then the construction noise just outside the window.

Facilities - the rooms have a tiny tv that doesn't even get CNN or BBC, no mini-bar, a small bathroom with a shower and a tiny old towel.

Internet - they did not provide me with the necessary information at check-in instead they made me walk back down and up the four flights of stairs to get the log-in, refusing to bring it to me;

Food - I was never told what time breakfast is from so when I got there at 1 minute to 10am they had already taken everything away and refused to even give me a piece of bread. I ordered room service the night before and they forgot my room number so they waited until I called back an hour later and then brought my food cold. You are given one child's size bottle of water and there is no mini-bar or possibility in the room to get any drinks.

Check-out is 10:00am (again I was never told this until I asked to check out late) - what hotel makes you check out at 10:00am?

I stayed in Country Lodge because Fairview was full booked and they referred me to Country Lodge- they must rely on fairview's referrals because I for one would never stay here again. As a matter of fact it is the first morning of my vacation and instead of relaxing I am writing this review!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Countrylodge, Owner at Country Lodge, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback.

We sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. The construction noise that was caused by the expansion of Country Lodge is regretted and has since ceased. The new rooms are now in use.

Country Lodge is a limited food and beverage service hotel with no restaurants. The room rate and the facilities offered are based on good value for money and functionality. Moreover, if one is looking for a full service hotel, then one needs to pay a full service rate! Our product offering is consistent with similar limited service hotels.

We do apologize that you were not well briefed on check-in about free wireless internet, breakfast times and check-out (10 am check-out is not unusual in Nairobi) plus the delay with your food delivery from the nearby restaurants.

Country Lodge has been in existence for the last four years and we operate at full occupancy daily. It has continued to grow not because of referrals from the neighbouring Fairview hotel but due to its value proposition which created demand necessitating addition of another 40 rooms- and the demand still grows! Our rating and feedback on Trip Advisor are a testimony to this.

Daniel
Director
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed here for two separate nights during our holiday in Kenya.

The rooms are clean, spacious and modern with a decent shower which is exactly what you need after travelling. Beds were comfy and the free internet service was a fabulous extra. The room we were in was very quiet.

The staff were courteous and very helpful and the hotel feels very safe.

On one of the evenings we walked down to the sister hotel ,the Fairview, for some food and on the other night we ordered the takeaway service which was brought to our room quickly and added to our hotel bill. Again both recommended.

Due to flight times we didnt get a chance to try breakfast unfortunately but it looked good!

Overall a good clean, safe, modern hotel which is excellent value for money given some of the costs of the other hotel.

Only gripe is the time it took to get from the airport due to the horrible Nairobi traffic but that unfortunately is normal in Nairobi. If they could just build one nearer the airport then that would be fantastic!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I stayed at Country Lodge recently while on holiday in Kenya. It was exactly what I was after- it was quiet, safe, clean, fairly inexpensive and comfortable. The breakfast was fantastic, the staff were really lovely and the free Wi-Fi was great. I would highly recommend Country Lodge.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I know that this hotel is geared towards business travelers but I would also recommend it for transiting vacationers. I arrived late into Nairobi and needed a place for just one night. Country Lodge was perfect. The staff are very helpful and polite; the room was modern and very clean; very nice breakfast and free wi-fi are included. It's also very reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Country Lodge? Share your experiences!