“NEVER AGAIN!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Country Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nairobi
Country Lodge
2nd Ngong Avenue | Upper Hill, PO Box 40842, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #16 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Cambodia
“NEVER AGAIN!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. The service and the quality of the room were so poor it made for a terrible start to my vacation. Uncomfortable bed, incredibly thin walls so you hear your neighbors and wake up when they do, inflexible and rude staff and to top it all off construction noises in the morning!

Sleep - the bed was very uncomfortable and too small, the walls are so thin I was woken up by neighbors leaving at 6:30am and then again at 8:00 and then the construction noise just outside the window.

Facilities - the rooms have a tiny tv that doesn't even get CNN or BBC, no mini-bar, a small bathroom with a shower and a tiny old towel.

Internet - they did not provide me with the necessary information at check-in instead they made me walk back down and up the four flights of stairs to get the log-in, refusing to bring it to me;

Food - I was never told what time breakfast is from so when I got there at 1 minute to 10am they had already taken everything away and refused to even give me a piece of bread. I ordered room service the night before and they forgot my room number so they waited until I called back an hour later and then brought my food cold. You are given one child's size bottle of water and there is no mini-bar or possibility in the room to get any drinks.

Check-out is 10:00am (again I was never told this until I asked to check out late) - what hotel makes you check out at 10:00am?

I stayed in Country Lodge because Fairview was full booked and they referred me to Country Lodge- they must rely on fairview's referrals because I for one would never stay here again. As a matter of fact it is the first morning of my vacation and instead of relaxing I am writing this review!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Countrylodge, Owner at Country Lodge, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback.

We sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. The construction noise that was caused by the expansion of Country Lodge is regretted and has since ceased. The new rooms are now in use.

Country Lodge is a limited food and beverage service hotel with no restaurants. The room rate and the facilities offered are based on good value for money and functionality. Moreover, if one is looking for a full service hotel, then one needs to pay a full service rate! Our product offering is consistent with similar limited service hotels.

We do apologize that you were not well briefed on check-in about free wireless internet, breakfast times and check-out (10 am check-out is not unusual in Nairobi) plus the delay with your food delivery from the nearby restaurants.

Country Lodge has been in existence for the last four years and we operate at full occupancy daily. It has continued to grow not because of referrals from the neighbouring Fairview hotel but due to its value proposition which created demand necessitating addition of another 40 rooms- and the demand still grows! Our rating and feedback on Trip Advisor are a testimony to this.

Daniel
Director

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed here for two separate nights during our holiday in Kenya.

The rooms are clean, spacious and modern with a decent shower which is exactly what you need after travelling. Beds were comfy and the free internet service was a fabulous extra. The room we were in was very quiet.

The staff were courteous and very helpful and the hotel feels very safe.

On one of the evenings we walked down to the sister hotel ,the Fairview, for some food and on the other night we ordered the takeaway service which was brought to our room quickly and added to our hotel bill. Again both recommended.

Due to flight times we didnt get a chance to try breakfast unfortunately but it looked good!

Overall a good clean, safe, modern hotel which is excellent value for money given some of the costs of the other hotel.

Only gripe is the time it took to get from the airport due to the horrible Nairobi traffic but that unfortunately is normal in Nairobi. If they could just build one nearer the airport then that would be fantastic!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I stayed at Country Lodge recently while on holiday in Kenya. It was exactly what I was after- it was quiet, safe, clean, fairly inexpensive and comfortable. The breakfast was fantastic, the staff were really lovely and the free Wi-Fi was great. I would highly recommend Country Lodge.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I know that this hotel is geared towards business travelers but I would also recommend it for transiting vacationers. I arrived late into Nairobi and needed a place for just one night. Country Lodge was perfect. The staff are very helpful and polite; the room was modern and very clean; very nice breakfast and free wi-fi are included. It's also very reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Washington D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

The Country Lodge is clean, safe, and a good value. The rooms are simple but entirely comfortable - I especially liked the featherbed, electric kettle, and bedside reading light. Breakfast was abundant and tasty, and served with plenty of smiles. Free wireless is great, and the staff is helpful. I'm leaving the hotel, though, after three days of listening to the buzz and bang of power drills and hammers, even on Sunday, from the new rooms that the hotel is building next door. The work continues on Sunday. I asked for a different room, but it's equally noisy. Perhaps there's no way to avoid this, so if you're jet-lagged or don't like noise, wait until construction is finished.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Countrylodge, Owner at Country Lodge, responded to this review, July 16, 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback and compliments.

We sincerely apologize that you did not entirely enjoy your stay due to the construction noise (caused by the expansion of Country Lodge). The new development will be ready for occupation on August 1 and will add another 40 rooms to our property! This I am sure is music to the ears of our guests who often struggle to find rooms at Country Lodge! As we have corresponded on email, we hope our "make-up" offer is acceptable to you.

Thank you for your feedback and for supporting Country Lodge!

Daniel
Director
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

In a city with many tired and overpriced hotels, the Country Lodge is a real gem with rooms around $100 / night. Located in Upper Hill amidst many of the embassies it feels very secure with guards in all the surrounding streets and corners. The hotel offers airport pickups if you pre-book for 1200 KS which I used (warning - rush traffic is bad!).
The place has a new, fresh and clean feel while being relateively small, quiet and functional. I stayed here on a brief business trip in Rm 632, the room it had 2 beds, shower & loo, TV, and free WiFi (why don't all hotels give you this?). A basic buffet style breakfast is included in the room rate (omelettes, fruit, yogurt, rolls, coffee etc) and available until mid morning. No other meals are served in the hotel but you can order take out for delivery (I didn't) or there are snacks and cold drinks in vending machines. We chose to walk 50 metres down the street to the adjoining Fairview Lodge hotel that is owned by the same company. As there are guards 24 x 7 patrolling outside I would say even lone female travellers should feel safe doing this, even after dark. The Fairview has a choice of garden and indoor reataurants and was mostly poulated by Europeans when I was there.
In summary, if you want full room service, swimming pool, mini bar, laundry etc then Country Lodge is probably not for you but if you just want a safe, clean, reasonably priced hotel room with free wifi and breakfast you probably won't find better in Nairobi.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Nagoya, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Well, I wish I could tell people not to stay here so I would be able to easily make a booking for my next trip. I made a last minute booking and was fortunate to get a room. This hotel is popular with good reason. There is nothing I could see that is negative about the Country Lodge. I was able to get an economy room, and that is all I needed.

Internet wi-fi was good, room was clean and cheerful. Bed was large enough. The shower was nice and big. The hotel staff were all very friendly and accomodating.
The good thing is that the owners of the Country Lodge, who also own Fairview Lodge next to Country Lodge, are building a large extention to Country Lodge. Although short-notice bookings have been difficult, perhaps after August when the extention is complete, more people can stay here, and last-minute bookings may not be a problem.
The hotel uses the Fairview Lodge restaurants. I tried the padio restaurant and Atrium. Both were very good and at very reasonable prices. Great food at a great price, a winning combination.

The Country Lodge has taxi drivers on standby. These guys are really friendly. I had kept my original driver (Karoki) throughout my stay. A very wonderful person.

My trip was made much nicer thanks to Country Lodge!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Country Lodge? Share your experiences!