“Safe, Quiet and Good..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nairobi
Country Lodge
Save Saved
You added Country Lodge to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2nd Ngong Avenue | Upper Hill, PO Box 40842, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #17 of 102 hotels in Nairobi
Edmonton, Canada
“Safe, Quiet and Good..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I stayed in the Country Lodge for a total of six days in May 2014. First, it probably the safest hotel I have ever stayed in - security is good (its just up the street from the High Commission of the State of Israel), with keys needed to go in and out of the building and lots of security inside. Second, it is quiet - rooms are spacious, but simple, clean and efficient for the business traveller. Third, it is attached to the Fairview which is the best hotel in Nairobi with several good places to eat. Nice pool and pool bar. If I come back to Nairobi, this is where I will stay.

Room Tip: Ground floor is quieter than upper floors.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Country Lodge, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
We thank you for the positive review. We're glad that you enjoyed the safety and security aspect of the hotel as well as the quality of the rooms! We do hope to have you stay with us again soon.

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

The Country Lodge is an affordable, simple hotel that's connected to the Fairview hotel. The rooms are modern and comfortable, although you can hear everything from the hallway. The breakfast was delicious and the staff were very helpful. Being connected to the Fairview hotel, you have a choice of a number of great restaurants within a 2 minute walk. The hotel's one downfall is a lack of an elevator, as I was on the fourth floor and had to lug two big suitcase up the stairs. Overall, I'd definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Country Lodge, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for the great review. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and found our staff to be helpful. We can't wait to have you stay with us again soon.
South Orange, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Country Lodge for six nights. We highly recommend it for business travelers and vacationers who prefer a streamlined and modern hotel. Many Nairobi hotels tend to fall into one of two categories: 1) colonial décor or 2) rundown modernish (90s) décor. The Country Lodge is for people who do not feel the need to bring back Nairobi's colonial era and who want an up-to-date and clean modern room. Also, in our opinion, hotels are expensive in Nairobi. The Country Lodge provides great rooms and excellent service for a more reasonable price. The location is perfect for meetings downtown. I should note that this is not a five star hotel. I have given it five stars as compared to other hotels in its class and compared to many other hotels (even those in higher classes) in Nairobi.

GETTING THERE
The Country Lodge informed us where to hire a taxi at the airport to bring us safely to the hotel. The directions were clear and accurate. After a long flight, the taxi service quickly processed our paperwork and put us in a very clean taxi. When we arrived at the hotel late at night, reception was extremely friendly and efficient. Our check-in was very fast. Staff offered to bring our bags up to our room. However, we only had carryon bags so we carried our luggage up the stairs and to our room.

ROOM SELECTION & CLEANLINESS
When we first stayed at the Country Lodge, our room overlooked the garden. We highly recommend these rooms. They are quieter. After our safari, we returned to the Country Lodge before flying home. We stayed in a room overlooking a parking lot. We heard much more traffic on this side.

Whenever we go to hotels, I clean them first. Yes. I am one of those people. This was one of the first times that I cleaned a room without being truly frightened by what was on my Lysol wipe. The room was extremely clean. We had a double room. It was spacious and had plenty of room for two people. For the room layout, you first enter into an open space. The shower and toilet are behind a sliding door. The sink is in the main bedroom area. Our room had a small flat screen television in the room. (We never turned it on so I cannot tell you about reception.) The room also has a long table. My husband and I used it as a desk. There was plenty of room for us to work at the table at the same time. The firm bed was extremely comfortable. My husband usually has back problems. He slept incredibly well on the bed in our room. A few people complained about the beds in their reviews. Many Kenyan hotels do not have spring mattresses. I am fine with this because the beds are still firm and I don't feel my husband's every movement. Most Nairobi hotels do not have air conditioning. This was no exception. The nights were cool and we had a ceiling fan so we never missed the A/C.

SERVICES
Please review the Country Lodge's website for a more complete listing of services.

The Country Lodge offers breakfast until 10 am. Breakfast consists of foods such as fresh croissant (chocolate, plain, and almond), yogurt, granola, juices, cheeses, meat, sushi (yes, sushi), tea, coffee, cocoa, and fruit. In addition, a chef will make eggs to order with a number of different additions including options such as chilis, mushrooms, cheese, tomatoes, and ham. The room for breakfast is open and has large windows overlooking the garden and the front of the hotel. After breakfast, it is the perfect place to sit and have meetings or to work on the free wi-fi. (We had perfect wi-fi access in our rooms, too.) The Country Lodge provides you with a free sign-in ID.

The Country Lodge does not have any restaurants. However, you can easily walk to the connecting Fairview hotel for a range of restaurant options. (There is a connecting walkway so you do not have to go outside to get to the Fairview.) You can also order room service from one of the Fairview restaurants.

The hotel provides an excellent laundry service. You give the front desk your belongings by a certain time in the morning. They are returned to your room in the afternoon. We tried both the laundry and the dry cleaning. They were both excellent. The rooms do not have irons. However, there is an ironing room in the hotel. Guests can bring their clothes to that room and iron them. If you want someone else to iron your clothes, you can send them to the laundry for ironing only.

The hotel also has two gyms.

The hotel has select business services - fax machine, printers, computers, etc. There are also a number of places around the hotel where you can have meetings. For example, I noticed that a number of people had meetings in the breakfast room and in the garden during off hours.

STAFF
From reservations to reception to breakfast to housekeeping, the staff was excellent. Staff members were friendly, accommodating, courteous, knowledgeable, and professional. Every person went out of his/her way to make us feel comfortable. I once lived in Nairobi and can say without hesitation that the Country Lodge staff is exceptional.

GETTING AROUND NAIROBI FROM COUNTRY LODGE
The Country Lodge has taxis waiting for you just outside the main entrance. The drivers are contracted with the Country Lodge so expect clean and updated cars with professional service. I highly recommend getting the card of your taxi driver and calling that person to pick you up from your location. Some taxis in Nairobi can be a bit sketchy. Before you leave the hotel, ask the Country Lodge for the contracted rate so that you know the cost.

If you want to go to a few places in one day, I HIGHLY recommend hiring our taxi driver, Bernard. He is one of the taxi drivers contracted to the Country Lodge and Fairview Hotel. When my husband was at a conference, Bernard took me to a number of meetings, shopping locations, etc. He waited for me and drove me back to the Country Lodge at the end of the day. He speaks excellent English. He knew a number of shortcuts to avoid traffic. He is extremely pleasant. His day rates were reasonable. His contact details are below:
Ben's Cars
Bernard Chirchir
Cell: +254-721-116-715
Email: chirchirkb@yahoo.com

LOCATION AND TRIPS FROM THE COUNTRY LODGE
The Country Lodge is in a great location for meetings downtown. However, you can also easily take taxis (see above) to get around to other areas of Nairobi. There are a number of sites that I recommend that you can easily take from the Country Lodge.

During our stay, I had to go to Northern Nairobi and I wanted to add on some shopping while there. It cost approximately 7,000 KSH ($80) for me to go to meetings, shop at the Village Market for about 2 hours, go to the Home Gallery, and return to the Country Lodge. The entire trip was about 7 hours with the taxi driver from the Country Lodge waiting for me. I thought that was a great price – especially because the other taxi recommended to me (by friends in Nairobi and not affiliated with the Country Lodge) wanted to charge me double for the same trip. I also needed to add on a business dinner while we were out and I gave the driver 2,000 KSH ($20) for the extra time and he was fine with it. Initially, I drove with several Country Lodge taxis, but as I mentioned above, I really thought that Bernard was the best. Bernard drove me on many days to Karen, Runda area, Downtown, Lakeview, etc. and his rates were reasonable. Of course, get the current rates before you agree to a full day trip with any driver.

If you are interested in purchasing African art (and not just tourist crafts/art), you may want to hire a car to visit a few places in Nairobi. For example, two places that I recommend are not on TripAdvisor:

Home Gallery
www.african-tribal-arts.com ; lisa@lisachristoffersen.com
+ 254 722 703 264 ; www.facebook.com/Lisa Christoffersen ART
The Home Gallery is a private art gallery in the Runda area of Nairobi (near the Village Market). It has a range of modern and ceremonial African art. It carries collector pieces from East and West Africa including Kenya, Tanzania, Sudan, DRC, Mali, and Burundi. Lisa Christoffersen, the owner, is delightful and knowledgeable about the art scene in Nairobi. I highly recommend a visit to the Home Gallery - especially if you want an interesting and unique piece of African art to bring home.

The GoDown Arts Centre
Industrial Area, Dunga Road, (intersection of Dunga and Lusaka roads CMC motors or Car and General Ltd. are landmarks)
+254 20 555770 or 555227
The GoDown is an arts centre where you can purchase art and attend performances (e.g., plays) or art exhibitions. The GoDown hosts a range of artists from painters, sculptors, dancers, musicians, actors, acrobats, etc. In addition to artist studios, the GoDown has a theatre, exhibition space, and other areas to display art and local talent. You can visit the GoDown and purchase pieces from the artists in their studios. You may want to call the GoDown in advance to arrange your visit- especially if you want to make sure that a specific artist will be available that day. I highly recommend visiting the GoDown to develop a better understanding of the Kenyan art scene and to purchase beautiful art directly from the artist.

I hope that this helps you plan your trip. I highly recommend the Country Lodge for business and tourist travel. It’s a clean modern hotel with excellent staff.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are quieter. Avoid rooms next to the central staircase leading to the breakfast room an...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Country Lodge, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for the wonderfully comprehensive review! We’re so pleased to hear that you had such an excellent stay with us. We can’t wait to see you again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

An alternative stay to the Fairview which owns this place. Advantage is that you have access to all the facilities at the Fairview. No lifts to take you up and hopefully there is a bell boy to help you with your luggage if you arrive late at night. Rooms are clean and comfortable but fairly spartan. No restaurants withing walking distance except for the ones at Fairview next door.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Country Lodge, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for the insightful review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our clean and comfortable rooms. We hope to see you again soon.
Harare, Zimbabwe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Country Lodge (soon to be City Lodge apparently) is definitely a great place to be for business on Upper Hill. For the price you pay here you can't get anything similar anywhere else in Nairobi - and a lot worse. Yes, the rooms are furnished like a chain hotel, and yes they are not massive, but the beds are great, the bedding is very good (including two different pillows, hard and soft), and the rooms are quiet. The breakfast is very good, and the filter coffee up to scratch. Good free WiFi, and the option to use all of the neighbouring Fairview Hotel facilities makes it a great location. The staff I dealt with in several stays over a longer period were absolutely fantastic, and super helpful.

Room Tip: Higher up (i.e. any room were second digit is 1 or higher) is better
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Country Lodge, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for your comprehensive and generous review. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the facilities and were treated really well by our staff. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

This seems a good option for business travellers in Nairobi. It's not in a pretty district for tourists etc (but then I am not sure if Nairobi has any!), but could make a useful stop overnight before heading onto Safari etc. Decent wifi, good value and interesting variety of food on room service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Country Lodge, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for the review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Tenby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed for six days,working trip.Second time have stayed here and still good standards prevail.good breakfast and wi-FI included.good security all around.Fairview facilities are available with pool,bars and food available in beautiful gardens settings.Staff all welcoming and helpful.rooms cleaned to high standard,bed comfort good.Close to British High Commission and other Embassies.stongly recommend this hotel and look forward to returning.Have also stayed in Fairview next door and recommend that also.

Room Tip: All I have stayed in have been fine.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Country Lodge, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for the lovely review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again see you again soon.

Been to Country Lodge? Share your experiences!