“New, clean efficient and a good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Lodge

Save Saved
You added Country Lodge to your Saves list
Country Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2nd Ngong Avenue | Upper Hill, PO Box 40842, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #19 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“New, clean efficient and a good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

The facility is very new and the rooms were small, but very efficient. I never felt cramped and it is a fine value, given other alternatives in Nairobi. It is located out of the city center which relieves some of the traffic pressure, as that is a major consideration in Nairobi. If you are there on business, you need to be able to get out to one of the exterior roads to move about.

You have to walk about 100 meters to the Fairview Hotel for food during the day and evening hours. Breakfast is included and they provide omlettes to order, fresh fruit and juice along with cereals, etc. Good coffee as well.

The laundry service was reasonable, for a hotel.

The staff were pleasant, however I must say they were somewhat reserved in providing their servcies and I felt a bit uncomfortable with their interactions. I think that could use some work.

Overall, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Country Lodge for a week on a getaway break from the UK. All was booked at the last minute over the internet, so naturally our expectations were not high. Upon arrival we were checked in with the minimum of fuss by efficient reception staff. Once in our room we were pleasantly suprised at how fresh and clean everything was. My only real criticism was that the TV was so small I had to sit on the end of the bed to watch it, even with my spectacles on. The buffet breakfast offered a varied menu and was excellent value for money. We would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Arusha, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Next to the Fairview, but with lower rates this is a great place to stay if Fairview is full or too much for your budget. Nice clean rooms, excellent location and you can order food from a menu from the Fairview, which makes for good room service. This is my favourite for business travel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Plaisir
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Visiting friends I hadn't seen for years, I spent one night and was very surprised, everything is perfect in this hotel, it really looks like new, modern fashion, very kind staff, also the possibility to pay by credit card.
Situated outside the noisy and busy city center, very quiet, very clean, excellent breakfast and very good WIFI net, particularly in the bedroom. I strongly recommend this hotel and I will certainly return in this place if I had to go back some day to Nairobi.
Bedroom was very clean, comfortable bed, plenty of place for laptop and different AC sockets on the wall, there are some good restaurants at walking distance, didn't have the opportunity to test the swimming pool.
Thank you all the staff from Country Lodge Nairobi !! Hope to see you next.

Gerard

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We stayed here on two separate occasions, the first after 24+ hours of travel. This was a very comfortable and quiet place to catch up on lost sleep.

The hotel is a great place to escape the hassles of the city. Very peaceful atmosphere in nice surrounds. Rooms were modern and very clean.

The included breakfast was worth five stars. For other meals you need to walk 100 m down the road to the fairview where there is a choice of restaurants.

Free Wi-Fi.

Probably more suited to business travellers.

Room Tip: We had the same room on both stays, overlooking the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I travel to Nairobi ~4 times per year, and I frequently stay at the neighboring Fairview Hotel so I had high hopes for the Country Lodge. I was disappointed to find that while they do offer breakfast, there are no internal restaurant options for lunch or dinner. When I travel for work, I like to have easy access to restaurants or at minimum a good selection of room service options, since I work late into the evening and don't want to bother with a cab to go out. At the Country Lodge, you can have (usually cold) room service food brought over from the Fairview, or.... nothing.

I also found a burgeoning infestation of fleas on my visit. Tiny baby fleas all over the floor. I expect that i was just in-between sprayings though, because the hotel otherwise appears very clean.

Some people do like the Ikea-esque aesthetic, but I thought it felt cheap. Coupled with "eh" service, difficulty finding food, teeny tiny bugs, and a small room, it's among my least favorite hotels in Nairobi. I much prefer the Fairview, or even the Panafric if the Fairview is full.

If you are traveling for business, the only positive thing I can say about the Country Lodge is that the desks are spacious and the internet is free. For the price, one can do far better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Countrylodge, Owner at Country Lodge, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

Country Lodge is a limited food and beverage service hotel with no restaurants. The room rate and the facilities offered are based on good value for money and functionality for a business traveler. Moreover, if one is looking for a full service hotel, then one needs to pay a full service rate! Our product offering is consistent with similar limited service hotels.

As for the fleas, we are at loss since our collective memory does not recall an infestation of fleas in our rooms. Cleanliness ranks high as one of our strong selling points and feedback on Trip Advisor is a testimony to this.

Country Lodge has been in existence for the last six years and we operate at full occupancy daily. It has continued to grow due to its value proposition which created demand necessitating addition of another 40 rooms- and the demand still grows!

We sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay.

Regards,
Mark | Joint Managing Director | Country Lodge
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed the Country Lodge last year. I am a single female from Australia and was initially worried about staying in Nairobi alone. But the hotel has great security. I never once felt unsafe. Taxi's wait outside the hotel so no need to walk to far. There are restaraunts down the road (1min!) to eat at if you don't want to travel to far.

The rooms were so clean and modern! Plenty of room, bathroom clean and no issues at all with shower/water ect (i had just come from Nakuru where i had not had a hot shower in 2 weeks!)

There are plenty of options on TV, also a small gym, and lovely gardens to sit in at the hotel.

Great value for money and close to lots of things to do in Nairobi.

Breakfast has lots of options, all fresh.

Very good communication prior to my arrival- they were happy to answer any questions i had through email.

Only drawback was i woke in the middle of the night and had a mosquito bite about 5cm in diameter on my leg! But that did not bother me to much...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to Country Lodge? Share your experiences!