“Great pizzas and pasta” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Lexington, Kentucky
“Great pizzas and pasta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Incredible pizzas and pasta. Ate here three times in a 10 day stay!

Visited January 2012

Iwerne Minster, United Kingdom
“Terrible food and really expensive ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I used to work in Westland where the first Mediterraneo opened and used to go every day for lunch. It was probably the best Italian restaurant in Nairobi and I used to go out of my way to go to it. It was always good well cooked food with the owner around and making sure things worked and everyone was happy.
Today I went to their place in Giriri for the first time and had un- surprisingly high expectations of the place, what a disappointment……
I order the special which was fillet steak wrapped in ham with goats cheese and red wine sauce which sounded great. The old Westlands place was always well known for its steaks and was great at cooking them. When I eventually got the meal the pieces of steak were so small I actually thought it was a joke they must have been about 2cm in diameter which has got to have come off the world’s smallest cow. I had asked for it medium rare but when I cut into it, it had been sealed on the top but was completely raw. After asking for it to be cooked a bit more so I could actually eat it, they obviously microwaved it as it came out now well done but with no more colour on the meat. When I point this out to the waiter he just looked at me and said it won’t happen again and walked off leaving me with the overcooked tiny portion of meat.
The place wasn’t cheep either my steak cost almost Ksh 1500 which is a lot of money considering I then had to come out and buy a sandwich because I was so hungry.
The rest of the party’s meals weren’t much better, my son had a warm octopus salad that was stone cold, my wife had a lobster and chili pasta that didn’t have any chili in it and when she asked to have some chili they brought a bowl of chili that was so coarsely cut that it was useless. My mother had a ceaser salad with grilled chicken that had a strange smell off it and she couldn’t eat it.
When the waiter was clearing the plates I asked to see the manager about the food, who I had seen when I first arrived, he never turned up.
As I had said I always loved this place in Westlands and recommended people to go to it for years but after this experience all that’s gone, shame really.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“good food, excellent atmosphere, and best wine list in Nairobi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Seafood. Pasta. And, if you are lucky, that's where you can enjoy a good bottle of Aglianico - which otherwise is a rare find here. Be prepared to have your time taken - not a fast food place.

Nairobi, Kenya
“Terrible service from the waiter, pizzas edges burnt and badly cooked crème brûlée”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

The waiter began arguing with our guest because he passed his menu to his wife and suggested that the ladies should be served first. The waiter was crude with the way he served us. The prosciutto pizza has cooked ham and not prosciutto. The crème brûlée was a scrambled egg with burnt sugar and not caramelised sugar. It turns out their crème brûlée is always cooked like that

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Best Italian Food in Kenya”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011 via mobile

This place does the most innovative and lip smacking Italian fare in town
Their specials have very interesting options
However what disappointed me last time round at their new Gigiri branch was that when we ordered our preferred Kenyan Beer from Sierra Brewery the waiter said that they had stopped stocking it; half way through our meal we saw that guests on another table were served with beers from Sierra; when we questioned our waiter he said maybe the management had changed rules again; so I asked him to bring me a bottle of Sierra Platinum; the waiter then told me that that particular type was not available so I ordered another only to see guests on the table next to us be served with Sierra Platinum;
As consumers we like choice and I am still baffled why the restaurant was reluctant to serve us with this particular beer when it was obvious that they had it in stock.

But otherwise this is still a fantastic place and in the umpteen number of times I have been there the food has always been up to the mark.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere