“The worse quality fish I have ever had. Yes, even in Nairobi!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
NYC
“The worse quality fish I have ever had. Yes, even in Nairobi!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Visited the Furasato last evening and my stomach is still complaining! Their tuna was brown in color and when brought this to the manager attention. He said "this is tuna from Mombasa and this is the color." I guess the bad sea odor from tuna was also from Mombasa!
Their salmon didn't taste anything like salmon, which has a distinctive taste even when it is not so fresh!
Their tuna avocado salad was basically rotten tuna buried under avocado. Even this didn't help one not to taste the bad tuna.
As for their crispy, spicy salmon roll, Hmmmm, tasted like some wiered Chinese sweet and sour dish! Pretty disgusting I have to say. Again the string spices did not help not to notice the old Salmon.
Let alone the rest of the experience at Furasato.
My suggestion is that in Nairobi stick to what you know is fresh and good. Specially when you crave decent sushi in a land lock city!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Tepanyaki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Lovely Japanese Restaurant with plenty of parking.

The tepanyaki was great with a very stylish chef - meat and vegetarian food was coooked separately.

The tempura and sushi are very good. Great Bar too!

“5 star forever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I automatically fell in love with this food! There service and atmosphere is great and there food is just absolutely amazing! I loved the spicy samon and the California Maki sushi! Also the miso soup and sticky rice -- + try the lunch box! It's amazing!

• Visited January 2013
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
“Hit the sushi spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We arrived close to the end of the lunch hour but they stayed open for us ("because of the kids"). It was everything we were missing! Great sushi and would definitely go back when we visit Nairobi.

Nairobi
“A safe bet...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I'll start off by saying that my wife believes this restaurant is a Five. I, on the other hand, think its a 4. I'll start with the positives. 1) It's has a fairly large menu and it can be vege friendly. My wife, who is a vegetarian, tends to like their vege sushi and vege box, 2) the items are executed fairly well. Nothing overly sophisticated on the menu, so they get the basics rights, and 3) the service is a big plus here. A very attentive staff can make a big difference!

There are a few reasons why I believe his place is not a Five: 1) The menu is pretty standard, nothing "wows" you, 2) the place is a bit dated inside and could use an upgrade, and 3) I wish they varied the flavors of their teppanyaki (like most places, they just use one sauce).

Overall, I do recommend visiting Furasato. We think its the best Japanese restaurants in Westlands. My wife and I are frequent visitors, just wish sometimes they would take it up a notch with regards to the menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere