“Exotic Eats” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 355 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Doing business, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: On the outskirts of Nairobi on the Langata Road is the world famous Carnivore, known as the Ultimate 'Beast of a Feast', a meat lovers den where a vast selection of succulent meats are charcoal grilled and carved at your table. Adjoining the Carnivore main restaurant is the 'Simba Saloon' - a vibrant informal a la carte restaurant with a childrens playground,
Cairo, Egypt
“Exotic Eats”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was a different experience! Wish they had more game meat though. Staff was very helpful and friendly! They explained how the restaurant worked and what was offered. The different variety of meats were tender and tasty! Had a good time!

Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Callaway, Minnesota
“I have visited the legend and glad I did.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

After hearing so much hype over the years about The Carnivore at last I had a chance to dine there in December of 2012. It was a fun experience and I very much enjoyed it, but would I return again, probably not. The food was average at best as I have eaten at may Brazilian churrascos or steak houses over the years and the meat here as just OK, not great by any means. In fact there was not one meat that really grabbed enough for seconds. The salad bar or selection was minimal at best, nothing even close to what is found at a Brazilian steakhouse.

The setting was fine, the wait staff was friendly and attentive, but it is really about the end product: the meal and the food and here I felt left at the altar. The meat was just not that favorable and sure while lots of it, quantity does not trump quality.

But as in institution and landmark in Nairobi over the years with a colorful past, I am glad to have at last experienced it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“Average food & service....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This was part of our safari experience & we dint really have much choice. The experience is close to a Brazilian stake house, different meats carved at the table. Service was average, the food ok. They have all you can eat meat. Some of it was good, nothing exceptional. Surprisingly they also have a vegetarian menu for a restaurant named Carnivore. I liked the setting , but we were at the end of our trip and part of my review maybe based on us being tired and kinda sad that our amazing vacation was coming to an end...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
nairobi
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible.. not like before”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Terrible service. took an hour to bring our food.then brought me a rare steak when i ordered a well done.this took another 1/2 hr, then ordered a warm water they brought me a cold. then took another hour to bring me my bill! never again. just not worth the expense

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York, NY
“Outback equivalent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I came across this restaurant in all the travel guides and decided to avoid it. However, to my dismay my safari agent made me a reservation. So, at the end of a very long safari trip with filled with bad food, it was really not the thing we were looking forward to. We just didn't have the stomach for more meat. So, perhaps experience is relative to situation. The place is loud, with blaring music and lights, showy costumey uniforms and men walking around with giant skewers of meat cutting it with a what looked like a machete. I thoroughly enjoyed my mixed fruit shake and my soup. We passed on the salad and skipped right to the meat. Though the salad looked presentable. I really liked the lamb and the pork ribs. The chicken was very dry, the ostrich was okay, though I am not a good judge since I had a tiny bite. My husband was so disgusted by the crocodile that he spit it out. He said it tasted like fishy fish. Then again, evey Kenyan says the croc is very nice. What do we know? This is however, the place to go in Nairobi evidently. It was packed full of tourists looking like they were having a great time. If you like Outback and Churrascaria types, then you'll enjoy this.

P.S. I live in New York, where the food is way better than most cities. So, I may be extra picky. If you eat/play in Manhattan, I think you will want to avoid this place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere