“Hotel/retreat center in Nairobi suburb” 3 of 5 stars

Methodist Guest House
Oloitokitok Road, | Box 25086, Nairobi 00603, Kenya   |
Ranked #78 of 163 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Spokane, Washington
“Hotel/retreat center in Nairobi suburb”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Rooms are simple but very clean, all with mosquito nets and private bathrooms. Rates seem high ($90-110 USD/double), but Nairobi lodging is generally expensive, and the guest house is quiet, safe, and surrounded by lovely gardens. Surprising amenities (a big swimming pool and free in-room wifi) along with buffet breakfast that includes omelets made to order ($15 up charge), lots of fruit and pastries. Front desk staff is efficient but nor particularly friendly. Housekeepers on the other hand are quite helpful and warm.

Room Tip: No air conditioning so avoid the west side of the building and ask for a room on the higher floors o...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed here the week before Christmas, 2011. The staff were fabulous -- helpful, friendly -- and that includes everyone from the front desk to the dining room and throughout the facility. They were great about helping us get taxis, etc. Rooms are very simple but clean and eveything worked -- including the mosquito netting. Food is uninspired, but breakfast (included) had omelets made to order almost every day. After dinner there one evening we chose to eat all our other meals out. Nice grounds. We didn't use the pool but it is a nice amenity. We loved sitting in the patio and having tea in the evening. We didn't appreciate how well MGH was run until we stayed at another religious guest house later that was not nearly as nice. Very affordable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Bangui, Central African Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

This was my first time in this place and I really loved it. I passed 6 month without my famly. The staff is wonderful and friendly. Rooms are clean and the food is safe. I really like this place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

This was my first time in a Christian Hotel and it was an interesting experience. The place is very clean and the staff disinfect the floors everyday.Sundays and some other days groups were in and would often be found in small bible groups or prayer meetings.
The location is good. The rooms basic but clean. They have mosi nets but no air con, Internet is very patchy and much better outside or hanging off the balcony.The rooms with little sitting room are great for working.
We only ate in two of the three restaurants. They were not great but they were adequate. There are other places to eat a taxi ride away. I recommend those
Breakfast is somewhat disconcerting as it finishes at 8.30 and they have a tendency to start packing away early (8.10am on day) or calling you up about 8.10 to ask if you are coming.
Housekeeping staff also start early so if you want a lie in put the DND sign out
Staff are very friendly and helpful.
There is some construction work outside (Dec 11) so not very quiet but starts after 7.30.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

This Christian hotel/conference centre is great value for money. Rooms are clean, food is substantial, pool is a good size, albeit cold. \atmosphere is relaxed and, at the price, really hard to beat. Breakfast obviously not an Ulster fry but a good effort, none the less.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Basic rooms, clean, friendly staff, good food and safe.

Have been several times over the years, and always found it exactly the same! Swimming pool usually very busy with schools or non residents.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
rosenairobi, marketing officer at Methodist Guest House, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Thank you for staying at Methodist Guest house and conference, we appreciate your comment and we are happy you liked our service.

we look forward to to welcoming you once more at Methodist.

Best regards
Tennant Creek, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

The Room was fine. Our stay was fine. We avioded dining in (not impressed at appearance of the buffet based on the price asked... but that was a personal decision). Breakfast was decent.
"Terrible" rating is based on a bad experience following our stay.
I lost a camera charger (left it in the room, my own fault).
A few days later caught a taxi to the hotel to enquire... They made me sit in reception for One Hour while they checked. After 30 mins my taxi driver (quite happy at the delay) came in to assist... They had not even contacted lost and found. I asked for the manager, whom they told we was not present. I asked who was in charge, they would not say. I was later told by my taxi driver that the staff were saying (in Swahili) that they "Did not want to call the duty manager". So the staff were listening to my questions, and then lying to my face. So after 50 mins I was finally told that someone was "looking in lost and found". After 55 mins they managed a "Sorry, it doesn't seem to be there, woudl you like to leave your email?". The camera charger cost me $70 (my own fault). The Crappy Service cost me an extra $25US which I'm sure made a wonderful day for my Taxi Driver.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
rosenairobi, Marketing Officer at Methodist Guest House, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
We do appreciate your feedback and apologize for your experience after you lost your charger. we have noted your concerned and we do promise this will never happen again.

We look forward for your next visit.

Been to Methodist Guest House? Share your experiences!