“Price/benefit is really good” 4 of 5 stars

Kenya Comfort Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Monrovia Street & Muindi Mbingu, Nairobi 30425, Kenya   |
Ranked #48 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
Muenchen
“Price/benefit is really good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

It is not the Sheraton, ok. But it is ok, rooms are clean, I experienced staff as friendly, and the price is ok. If you look for a budget option, for sure I would recommend it

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

This is an absolutely dreadful hotel. I made the error of trying to save a few dollars by choosing this place over other downtown accommodation on my last visit to Nairobi in November, 2009. Big mistake. I lasted exactly one night; the experience was positively awful! I originally booked a "Superior Room" on the 5th floor, but when I arrived at the hotel a little before midnight, the confused and disorganized front desk staff had no record whatsoever of my reservation. I was instead given an "equivalent" room on the 4th floor and to add insult to injury, I was forced to pay - in full - (US $55.00) before I was even allowed up to my floor. I tried to pay by credit card, but the machine was "out of service". The room I was given was hideous. A tiny, cramped, airless hovel surrounded by Nairobi working girls and their customers with a few pimps in the hallway noisily tending to business. The laughter, yelling, hooting and calling between rooms lasted virtually all night long. Sleep was simply no an option. The next morning at breakfast, I found the food on offer in the second floor restaurant to be limited in selection and not particularly appealing or tasty. Service from the staff could best be described as indifferent or nonchalant, even surly. I left the hotel immediately after breakfast for other lodging. Upon contacting the Kenya Comfort Inn by email to inform them of my displeasure - in admittedly spicy language - I was immediately threatened with being reported to the Kenya Tourist Police and Kenya Immigration. The General Manager, John Kiriama, wrote to tell me that I would be blacklisted with the East Africa Hotel Keepers Association. This is the honest truth. I wrote back inviting them to do this if they dared, but I have heard nothing more in this regard. I have never received an apology, nor have I ever received an offer of a partial refund for the dubious pleasure of lodging in this downtown bordello. Do NOT stay at this hotel; it is nothing more than a centrally located knocking shop. True, the location is convenient and there is plenty of security, although one gets the impression it is primarily there to protect the hotel against unwarranted access rather than for the guests' peace of mind. These are, however, the only things it has going for it. Stay elsewhere or you WILL be disappointed....or worse. Allan H. Adams.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
kchensuites, Management at Kenya Comfort Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2010
We strongly disagree with this review. His “ spicy language” and comments were taken seriously.

He did not book a room in advance but made an enquiry. Upon arrival he was given a superior room. All fourth and fifth floor rooms are superior rooms. He made an issue when asked to prepay and thereafter we have received only virulent hatred from him.
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

I stayed on the second floor and thought the place reminded me of youth hostels I stayed at in Europe during college. Lots of young people coming in and out of their rooms all night. Lots of drunken revelry all night. Noise traveled easily, meaning I didn't get much sleep. Couple next door was talking all night then started have very loud sex.

I would have liked the place if I had gotten any sleep. Its well kept and has all the amenities you could ask for in a budget oriented place - internet, bar and restaurant.

If you do stay here, try to get a room on one of the upper floors and away from the main hallway/elevator.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
kchensuites, Management at Kenya Comfort Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2010
Thank you for staying with us and apologize for the noise from the adjacent room and which we had no knowledge about.

Whilst we reserve our comments on the source of the noise from the adjoining room, if you had contacted the reception, we would have changed your room immediately and asked the adjoining room occupants to be more considerate of their neighbours.

We appreciate your other comments.
Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

This hotel is fine if you plan on spending your day / evening walking around Nairobi and seeing the city. The rates are pretty reasonable (Jan 2010: $85 for a triple, $45 for a single; I changed rooms when my friends left). If you want to spend all day lounging in your hotel, you should probably go for the Stanley or Hilton, but I liked Kenya Comfort, and the staff were very friendly.

They have a full-service spa and sunning area (I don't think a pool though) on the roof, but it was closed for Christmas (23 Dec - 4 Jan) so I didn't get to check it out. Internet access is available, but the three computers they have were also 'down for repairs' while I was there, and I didn't have my laptop. Breakfast is okay, not great (KSH 1000). I paid by PayPal to reserve my room and taxi, and then paid the remainder of my balance with a credit card and had no trouble with either.

There's plenty of security around the hotel, both in the floors and at the entry. Originally, I debated about staying in downtown Nairobi, or in somewhere 'safer' like Langata or Westlands, but I walked around downtown Nairobi from here and never felt unsafe (first with two girls, the next day by myself). You will certainly be addressed every block or two by someone offering a safari, an invitation to a market, or sometimes just to chat ("Obama! High five! Happy New Year" etc), but only one of the ten or so people who talked to me on the street was pushy, but the rest were simply friendly. With police and security staff about every 100 feet in downtown Nairobi (no exaggeration), I don't think it's as bad as it used to be as "Nairobbery," though the staff did urge me to 'be safe' when I went out to walk, and bulletins on the wall also warned of "Nairoextorsion" and "Naibeggery"

Last comments: free water in the room, but no soap, and there's a building being constructed across the street where they work until midnight, though I didn't have any trouble sleeping because I was so tired after 3 weeks of travel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us.

We sincerely apologize for the soap issue and have taken your complaint very seriously.

The roof area was listed as closed for “Christmas” but actually to enable repairs to the 7th floor caused by the neighboring fire on the night of December 19th 2009. Our Wi Fi aerials, CCTV and other electrical also were damaged.

Our Seventh Floor has the great lounge and also a sun lounge which offers fabulous Nairobi Views.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

Me and my husband stayed for a night at Kenya comfort hotel before departing for Arusha for our Tanzania safari. The hotel is very well located in the centre of the city right across the place from where the shuttle bus leaves for Arusha. There are quite a few restaurants and lounge bars in the area good for getting a feel of the city nightlife. The in house restaurant is quite good with good options & open 24/7. Rooms are nothing to write about, very basic & quite noisy. All in all not so bad if you are here for a short time & location is important but I think we could have done better

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Egremont, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

Don't use this one if you are traveling with credit or debit card only as payment method. They will charge your card after that will tell you have no money on your card and when you will return to home from trip you will realize your account has been charge by Comfort Hotel in Nairobi in Kenya.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us.The issue with the credit card was beyond our control as it was a bank error. This issue was resolved quickly and the monies were fully refunded. We are surprised that the guest has made such a comment when we attended to this issue promptly. All credit cards are run in a transparency manner in the presence of the guest.
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

it was ok but not brilliant. Noisy. Unfriendly staff and I got food poisoning from our meal there (chicken pizza). TV on loud in the restaurant. High security which was reassuring. Bathroom was functional. I would recommend this place if other places are full and on a budget [we stayed at the Fairview on our last night of the trip which was excellent].

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Kenya Comfort Hotel? Share your experiences!