“Loud and Noisy” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
New York
“Loud and Noisy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

I stayed on the second floor and thought the place reminded me of youth hostels I stayed at in Europe during college. Lots of young people coming in and out of their rooms all night. Lots of drunken revelry all night. Noise traveled easily, meaning I didn't get much sleep. Couple next door was talking all night then started have very loud sex.

I would have liked the place if I had gotten any sleep. Its well kept and has all the amenities you could ask for in a budget oriented place - internet, bar and restaurant.

If you do stay here, try to get a room on one of the upper floors and away from the main hallway/elevator.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
kchensuites, Management at Kenya Comfort Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2010
Thank you for staying with us and apologize for the noise from the adjacent room and which we had no knowledge about.

Whilst we reserve our comments on the source of the noise from the adjoining room, if you had contacted the reception, we would have changed your room immediately and asked the adjoining room occupants to be more considerate of their neighbours.

We appreciate your other comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

This hotel is fine if you plan on spending your day / evening walking around Nairobi and seeing the city. The rates are pretty reasonable (Jan 2010: $85 for a triple, $45 for a single; I changed rooms when my friends left). If you want to spend all day lounging in your hotel, you should probably go for the Stanley or Hilton, but I liked Kenya Comfort, and the staff were very friendly.

They have a full-service spa and sunning area (I don't think a pool though) on the roof, but it was closed for Christmas (23 Dec - 4 Jan) so I didn't get to check it out. Internet access is available, but the three computers they have were also 'down for repairs' while I was there, and I didn't have my laptop. Breakfast is okay, not great (KSH 1000). I paid by PayPal to reserve my room and taxi, and then paid the remainder of my balance with a credit card and had no trouble with either.

There's plenty of security around the hotel, both in the floors and at the entry. Originally, I debated about staying in downtown Nairobi, or in somewhere 'safer' like Langata or Westlands, but I walked around downtown Nairobi from here and never felt unsafe (first with two girls, the next day by myself). You will certainly be addressed every block or two by someone offering a safari, an invitation to a market, or sometimes just to chat ("Obama! High five! Happy New Year" etc), but only one of the ten or so people who talked to me on the street was pushy, but the rest were simply friendly. With police and security staff about every 100 feet in downtown Nairobi (no exaggeration), I don't think it's as bad as it used to be as "Nairobbery," though the staff did urge me to 'be safe' when I went out to walk, and bulletins on the wall also warned of "Nairoextorsion" and "Naibeggery"

Last comments: free water in the room, but no soap, and there's a building being constructed across the street where they work until midnight, though I didn't have any trouble sleeping because I was so tired after 3 weeks of travel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
kchensuites, Management at Kenya Comfort Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2010
Thank you for staying with us.

We sincerely apologize for the soap issue and have taken your complaint very seriously.

The roof area was listed as closed for “Christmas” but actually to enable repairs to the 7th floor caused by the neighboring fire on the night of December 19th 2009. Our Wi Fi aerials, CCTV and other electrical also were damaged.

Our Seventh Floor has the great lounge and also a sun lounge which offers fabulous Nairobi Views.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

Me and my husband stayed for a night at Kenya comfort hotel before departing for Arusha for our Tanzania safari. The hotel is very well located in the centre of the city right across the place from where the shuttle bus leaves for Arusha. There are quite a few restaurants and lounge bars in the area good for getting a feel of the city nightlife. The in house restaurant is quite good with good options & open 24/7. Rooms are nothing to write about, very basic & quite noisy. All in all not so bad if you are here for a short time & location is important but I think we could have done better

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Egremont, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

Don't use this one if you are traveling with credit or debit card only as payment method. They will charge your card after that will tell you have no money on your card and when you will return to home from trip you will realize your account has been charge by Comfort Hotel in Nairobi in Kenya.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us.The issue with the credit card was beyond our control as it was a bank error. This issue was resolved quickly and the monies were fully refunded. We are surprised that the guest has made such a comment when we attended to this issue promptly. All credit cards are run in a transparency manner in the presence of the guest.
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

it was ok but not brilliant. Noisy. Unfriendly staff and I got food poisoning from our meal there (chicken pizza). TV on loud in the restaurant. High security which was reassuring. Bathroom was functional. I would recommend this place if other places are full and on a budget [we stayed at the Fairview on our last night of the trip which was excellent].

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Brighton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

We spent two nights at this hotel at the beginning of our honeymoon. We rang up and booked the honeymoon package. When we got there the staff had no record of our booking and were not at all apologetic. They gave us an executive room - which I have to say for the price was OK - it was clean and comfortable and the price was very reasonable. We decided to stay another night as we were off on safari very early the next day. We were coming back to nairobi late for just one night after our safari so I asked if I could leave one bag there and book another night for our return - the lady behind the desk wrote down our booking took our bag and off we went. However when we returned tired and hungry after our long journey and asked for our room the incredibly rude staff at the hotel started laughing and said they were full. I explained that prior to leaving we had booked a room but they said as we hadn't already paid for the room they had let it out to someone else. I explained that we had not been asked for payment when we booked but the staff just said it was full and they could not do anything about it - they were not at all apologetic. So I asked if I could use there phone to call another hotel - they said I could but i'd have to pay - at that point I asked to see the manager - who also insisted we'd have to pay to call another hotel even though it was there fault that we had no room - she was also incredibly rude and unapologetic but did allow us one phone call. It also took them half an hour to find my bag - I thought I'd never see it again! We ended up staying at the hotel boulevard - which for a few extra dollars was like a different world. The staff were friendly and helpful - there is an excellent restaurant there and the rooms are lovely. So I'd really recommend that anyone heading to Nairobi steers well clear of the Comfort Hotel - there are other better budget options and I would recommend the Boulevard to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
kchensuites, Director at Kenya Comfort Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2009
We thank you for staying with us and apologize for not being able to accommodate you on your reference to us.

Firstly, we have policy whereby bookings are only confirmed through payment on the website or bank transfer, furthermore all confirmed bookings have a reservation number. Secondly, there is cultural difference which you must accept regarding difference circumstances and responses. Thirdly, all storage baggage have a luggage tag and a receipt and in eight years of operations, we have never lost a single piece of luggage.

Frankly if I was going on Honeymoon I would not just call, but as is the practice worldwide pay and ensure that my honeymoon booking is secure.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed excellent Kenyan Hospitality at the Boulevard and which generally is 50% -75% more expensive than Kenya Comfort.

On your next visit to Kenya please do contact me personally and I will offer you a first night complimentary stay at Kenya Comfort Hotel.
Thanking you! Operations Director
comfort@kenyacomfort.com

Been to Kenya Comfort Hotel? Share your experiences!